biking where I'm going
    Jun 2012

New to this forum

but not new to posting on similar forums...

After being a recumbent kind of guy for about twenty years, and having a 70's Raleigh 3-speed for about four years (first upright in over a decade), and a Globe Vienna (sort-of like a hybrid, but no boingy fork and much better brakes) for a year, and all three of those being used for transportation and utility (not even mentioning the one go-fast-ish bike here), I succumbed to the siren call of a Big Dummy a week or so ago. It arrived Thursday, the last day the bike shop where I was working accepted UPS deliveries (the shop closed that day as well ).

I didn't have time or tools to assemble it at the shop, so hauled it home in my truck for later assembly. Wasn't going to build it right away, as I had some other garage projects to do first (had to make room to park the thing...), but the projects went quicker than expected, and I built the bike last Friday. Rode it around the 'hood a little to shake out the saddle position and handlebars, and let it sit Saturday due to other obligations.

I finally got it out for a cargo run on Sunday. After I post enough, I'll be able to include a link properly. For the nonce, you can probably look on my photobucket account (search on my user name here) and find something approximating a picture.

Edit: now that I have enough posts on here that I can link images:

And, yes, I can wear a Utilikilt Workmans while riding this bike with appropriate confidence that I won't answer "the question."
    Last edited by bikeolounger; 06-16-2012 at 06:12 PM.
    Getting where I'm going--by bicycle!

1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

biking where I'm going
    Jun 2012
    Part of the plan for this bike is that, since I've gone into business for myself as a handyman, I can go to job sites by bike instead of having to use my truck. Ordered-but-not-yet-delivered goodies include a hitch for my Bikes at Work trailer (again, I'm not yet allowed to post links, but bikesatwork (dot) com has info on their 96A trailer).

Initial build was with a Surly Open Bar handlebar for more arm comfort, and to make the bike a bit more user-friendly (meaning that both my wife and I can ride it), the flip-lock quick-release seatpost clamp and a Brooks B67 saddle to replace the woefully-uncomfy WTB stock piece. Pedals are Shimano 324s. I added a J&B Importers imitation Carradice seat bag for the tool kit and bungy storage.

The first cargo run went quite well. $150 in groceries, and it didn't seem to slow me down as my kiddie trailers-made into cargo units do.

The Surly Open Bar gives the bike a wide feel that is confidence-inspiring. I can feel the rear wheel back there, reminding me that it's WAY back there. It's quite a change from my long-wheelbase recumbent, on which I am much closer to the rear wheel with a longer wheelbase than the Dummy.

1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

biking where I'm going
    Jun 2012
    I loaded a copy of the image into my user profile's album. Now that I have ten posts, maybe I can link some images!

1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeolounger View Post
    I loaded a copy of the image into my user profile's album. Now that I have ten posts, maybe I can link some images!
    If you haven't already checked it out I have this page over on Facebook.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/251380181578404/
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

biking where I'm going
    Jun 2012
    I've put fifty miles or so on the Dummy, and am finding that I haven't quite gotten it dialed for myself. I went out on it today for a bit, knowing that the trip list involved a bag of dog food (~30#) and a grocery stop (to pick up stuff forgotten in yesterday's grocery run). Thoughts, while they are in mind:

One-handed riding on this bike is a bit more challenging than on other bikes in my stable. I'm not sure why just yet, but possible factors include that I seem to have more weight on my hands than when on my Globe. I had noted this yesterday while going to a job site pulling my BaW 96A trailer, and ascribed part of it to saddle tilt angle (a touch nose-up on the Brooks B-67 helped that part a great deal!). Having thirty pounds of dog food on one side of the bike, and less than ten pounds of cargo on the other side seemed to make it a bit wiggly, too.

I don't know if it's a function of the Salsa Open Bar (which I would hate to have be the case, as it's otherwise quite comfortable) I put on the bike to replace the stock 17-degree-sweep bar. I may swap over and see how the stock bar feels, but I really like the hand position of the Open Bar.

1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Welcome...

...thanks for sharing!

biking where I'm going
    Jun 2012
    The last of the parts and accessories planned for this bike arrived today! I now have a Big Dummy outfitted with fenders, the Xtracycle doo-dad that protects the rear brake and the left bag from each other, the Wide Loaders, a Long Loader, the faux-Carradice seat bag on the Brooks B67 saddle, the Ergon grips on the Surly Open Bar, the basic light set (two PDW Radbot 1000 taillights and a Planet Bike 2-watt forward flasher), the hitch for the Bikes at Work trailer, lock, cyclometer, and basic road tool kit. I should be ready to go for a while.

1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Can anyone recommend a company or a second hand dealer - and I don;t just mean google random names as I have been doing, fruitlessly!
    There are lots of companies out there, but I'm hoping to get something British-built.
    I'm looking for a tandem bike, possibly with a third wheel and platform/sidecar arrangement to carry cargo up to @150kg.

Thankyou

Disabled Vet
    OP,welcome to here,first-of-all,nice to "meet" ya LOVING that Dummy,I am! I'm itching for a pair of Wideloaders myself,though Longloaders aren't compaitble with my Hoodie setup (my Xtracycle is basically the "ECO" kit,plus I have a Snapdeck as well,though I took it off recently).

I think that's neat as heck you doing your business by Dummy,just awesome!
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll