Beastrider

NEW 2102 Trek Transport.....

Recently I made the jump and purchased the 2012 Trek Transport. Since I have had this ride I have made a few additions and would like to hear what others have added to theirs. This ride, to me anyway, seems to be the SUV of the bike world and I have been enjoying it each and every day I get to ride......This bike has been nick-named "THE BEAST" and I feel that's a pretty good name for it!!!!!

Here's a few photos....

Picking it up at the LBS

First photo at home

Loaded for a ride shopping

Out and about in Hampton, Virginia

Rear lighting setup

Church of the Wheel
    Nice running lights.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

PRETENDURO
    Iím still curious to see the 2102 model. Surely it will have magneto pulse-hover jet takeoff assistance.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Iím still curious to see the 2102 model. Surely it will have magneto pulse-hover jet takeoff assistance.
    That's the Transport+.

mtbr member
    no, actually the "+" is only electric assist with a 350 watt rear hub/motor and regenerative braking...the "+P+" has the pulse-hover jet option...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Nice bike, enjoy!

BTW, there is a 2011 on clearance here in Cincy for around $850, small ding in the downtube. It's a 20" frame, or I would have bought it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Ah ah !

Quite sexy bike. The front rack is pretty cute !
    & with such rear lights, people will think you're a Lambo Reventon !!

Are they 160mm rotors on the Beast ? Isn't it too light when you're loaded ?
    You know the poor skills of french people for foreign languages so please be indulgent with me !

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by leopold porkstacker View Post
    iím still curious to see the 2102 model. Surely it will have magneto pulse-hover jet takeoff assistance.

oops......

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Koala View Post
    Ah ah !

Quite sexy bike. The front rack is pretty cute !
    & with such rear lights, people will think you're a Lambo Reventon !!

Are they 160mm rotors on the Beast ? Isn't it too light when you're loaded ?
    Doesn't seem to be too light when loaded. BUT....I have only had about 50 pounds on it so far. Rear is rated at 200 and the front is rated at 25....so I'll have to wait and see what happens with a FULL load on board.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Why would Trek only make 2 sizes of this model? It seems there would be plenty of interested clydes to warrant at least a 22" frame. Anyone have insight into this design decision?

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Belatu View Post
    Why would Trek only make 2 sizes of this model? It seems there would be plenty of interested clydes to warrant at least a 22" frame. Anyone have insight into this design decision?
    It's possible that they simply wanted to "test the waters" to see how well these would go over with the general public. Let's face it, it takes a completely different type of rider to purchase one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Let us know how you like it after you have had it for a while.Nice bike anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The smaller cranks are not very fun for us tall riders....

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbirdxx View Post
    The smaller cranks are not very fun for us tall riders....
    Guess you would want bigger cranks then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well I think its still a neat looking bicycle no matter what.This is one of the problems we all have witch bicycle do we want and what are we willing to pay.And how are we going to use it.My self I like a bicycle that can do it all.And I think the cargo bicycle has a lot going for them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yes I definitely agree it is a nice bike. I had one and put quite a few commuting miles on it. It actually cruises really nice...but going uphill is where the challenge comes!

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    Well I think its still a neat looking bicycle no matter what.This is one of the problems we all have witch bicycle do we want and what are we willing to pay.And how are we going to use it.My self I like a bicycle that can do it all.And I think the cargo bicycle has a lot going for them.
    It's all about what you;re going to do with it. I tried many times to load stuff on a "regular" bike and even tried going recumbent. But I finally realized that a cargo bike was the way to go for me.

Not only do I use it for the cargo aspect. But it is also my day to day commuter.

As for the cost. Well, an insurance settlement was the only thing that allowed me to lay out that sort of cash for this ride. So I figured I might as well go first class.....

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbirdxx View Post
    Yes I definitely agree it is a nice bike. I had one and put quite a few commuting miles on it. It actually cruises really nice...but going uphill is where the challenge comes!
    Uphills on "The Beast" don't seem to be any worse than a normal bike. Except, of course, when loaded. THEN it can be a *****!!!!!

mtbr member

No Deck?

I like those transports and how the side racks can fold up. It needs a stereo! My Yuba needs one too!

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    I like those transports and how the side racks can fold up. It needs a stereo! My Yuba needs one too!
    Hmmmmm.....an old fashioned "Boom-Box".....haven't seen any of those at the flea market though. Interesting idea for running during rides or in parades.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I check out the price of the Trek Transport and it not that bad of a price for what all comes with it.Its cost less than my Big Dummy.One thing I do like is the fold down support.I see it comes with a 28,38t chain rings.It might help a little if you change it to a 24,34t or maybe a 22,32t with the 11-32 cassette it would let you climb a tree.It has a lot going for it I would like to see some other pics of people that has them and see what all they do to them.As far as the color you can have them powder coated in just about any color you want now days.

Beastrider

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    I check out the price of the Trek Transport and it not that bad of a price for what all comes with it.Its cost less than my Big Dummy.One thing I do like is the fold down support.I see it comes with a 28,38t chain rings.It might help a little if you change it to a 24,34t or maybe a 22,32t with the 11-32 cassette it would let you climb a tree.It has a lot going for it I would like to see some other pics of people that has them and see what all they do to them.As far as the color you can have them powder coated in just about any color you want now days.
    I love the fold down supports. Makes it extremely easy for bringing the bike indoors or walking in to a store when you don't want to lock it up.

As far as the gears, I really don't need anything more around here ((Newport News, Virginia)) as there are not THAT many strong hills here. Seems that the biggest ones I have to pull are the ones approaching bridges heading over the interstate.

But, all in all, a GREAT but for the money. And, it's a BLAST to ride around on. I have yet to stop someplace and NOT have someone make a comment or ask a question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Where in cincy is the $850 transport?

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by GravyBones View Post

That would be quite under-priced and probably even far below cost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GravyBones View Post
    It was on the Cincinnati Trek website a while ago, I think it might have been at their West Chester location. Not sure if they still have it though...