Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ocsawdust View Post
    everything takes money. as a bike rider ergonomics is what every biker thinks of. and of course the lines and such. THE FIT is everything. then comes the likes. every biker does it, change out parts. but talking about a custom build.... why mention money?

OR, am I missing the sarcasim ... most likely I'm thinking.... trying to figure my big dummy build right now!
    Sarcasim ? was not trying to be that way at all.Was just saying that it takes a lot of money to build a BD or it the did mine anyway.You say why mention money? Because if you have no money you can't buy the parts to build it with.I have to watch my money I am retired here so evey penny counts.Anyway I hope you got your build done.They do ride nice for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Thanx!

A Piccolo and an extra rack is ordered. Now all I have to do is wait...

/Mikael

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Been a while since 1) I have made many changes to the dummy and 2) I have posted here.

Doesn't mean that it isn't being used daily for schlepping.

Just not posting about it.

Yesterday thought was a huge change (for me)... I finally was able to get the desired drop bar setup and keep the rohloff.

Giles Berthoud makes a lovely shifter that is a four part setup that fits on drop bars.

I got one a few weeks ago and the last pieces of the puzzle came together yesterday:

Very happy with the result...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Oooooooo...

Me likey.

mtbr member
    This is such a badass thread and totally inspiring. I have a 7 month old baby girl and always been into biking and this thread has given me so many ideas to be able to plan future builds when she gets too big for other bolt on stuff to a standard frame.
    Just need to keep an eye out for a bargain frame set to start the project.
    Keep that bad boy rolling............

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Glad you like it Will and find it helpful...

I really, really like having the drop bars on the dummy. Options and all that.

I started to use strava to log miles on the dummy and it is intersting in that just schleping the kids back and forth to school 4 days a week gets me an additional ~24 miles in a week.

add to that the "commuting" (I don't really commute) grocery runs and to and fro getting around to see friends, go out etc all by bike and it is amazing what you can do without a car...

...I still have a car as it took me to Moab this weekend, but it is pretty much on a highway diet these days.

Cormac
    nice job living without the car as much as possible. I try to do that as much as possible, but I kayak 4 days a week sooo yea. but i bike to work then back home then load up the car with boats
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

Down South Yooper
    I like the idea of the drops, but I think I'd mis the width of a flat bar for big loads, just more leverage for wiggling kids and heavy loads.

What I'd really like to know is how you like the rohloff for the dummy? I can tell my hub set is not a long term solution, and I could see a rohloff making it into the lineup. I'm thinking i'llget another season or two out of my rear hub, then it's on to a tandem rated hub or something else. I rebuilt it and I still have a noticeable amount of freehub play..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    hey thats a nice rig... just curious why the extracycle bags though?

mtbr member
    The Rohloff on the dummy is sweet. I keep the gearing low (slightly below the allowable spec at 36x17) for hauling the kids and the Rohloff has been aces. When I hit the road solo I top out sooner than I'd like, but the dummy isn't a speed machine, so I can live with it.

Will, the sooner you can pull the trigger, do it kids love the dummy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Amazing work especially the drop bar set up. Very nice

mtbr member
    This whole thread is full of win

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    I like the idea of the drops, but I think I'd mis the width of a flat bar for big loads, just more leverage for wiggling kids and heavy loads.

Plum
    Have you looked at the Jeff Jones "Loop" H-bar setup? I am researching setting up my own BD, and that looks like a potentially great bar.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Have you looked at the Jeff Jones "Loop" H-bar setup? I am researching setting up my own BD, and that looks like a potentially great bar.
    Agreed. The Loop bar is perfect for a Dummy. Lots of good hand positions, tons of leverage, great angle, great comfort.

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Have a j-bar currently, the predecessor to the loop bars.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've had my Dummy for a few months now and just discovered this thread today. Your build is incredible. I'm looking to change a few things on mine too, but I'm the furthest thing you can get from a bike mechanic. It'll all come in time.

I love my Dummy. It's a 2004 20" frame. I'd probably do better with an 18, but the price was phenominal and I had to have it. I live near St. Louis so we don't see many of these popping up on CL or the ads. Weather is turning to winter, but riding it as much as possible until it's way too cold. I'm finding myself riding it even if I'm not running errands because it's just too much fun to ride.

Thanks for the thread. It was really fun to watch your bikes evolve!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The bracket is going to a local framebuilder to tack additional support to it this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have a jones loop bar on my pugsley... and might be getting another for the dummy...

After building a full custom for a client with zee dual pot hydros on 203 ice tech rotors...

I have brake envy. And I cannot figure a way to keep drops and zee brakes... so....

Dummy might loose the drops in leu of loops and saints...

g

Human Test Subject
    one of the mechanical to hydro converter boxes out there wouldn't work? Like the TRP Parabox?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    all the drop bar setups currently are for super light racey brakes. not 4 pot, ceramic piston, 203 icetech rotor badassness...

oh, and rarely have the 1700mm rear brake line needed for the dummy...

going from the wood chipper to the loop isn't that bad

mtbr member
    I came across this post yesterday and just felt I had to tell that this dummy build is just...... Really I'm speechless, and you brew too. Just wow, just awesome. I've always wanted a dummy for the commute and this just makes me want it more. You pointed and just knocked it outta the park with this thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I came across this post yesterday and just felt I had to tell that this dummy build is just...... Really I'm speechless, and you brew too. Just wow, just awesome.
    And I now own a bike shop :P

that said, we have sold more big dummies than I ever expected in the 11 months we've been open.

Including several custom colored, custom built jobbies (full CK, XT, Zee brakes)...

It's a big dumb life for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Well the dummy is still going strong, so I thought I would update...

First and foremost, the hookworms are gone and marathon 2.0s are on. Huge improvement in ride quality and speed. Really noticeable.

Loop bar swapped for drop bars. xo trails for the bb7s because they were given to me...

And the latest addition is just silly... but fun...

My Racing Dummy...-photo-2-.jpg

Other than that, just yearly rohloff oil changes and lube the chain....

g

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4