Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Greg, I just wanted to express my appreciation for your attention to aesthetics while fully intending to use this bad boy and put it to work. Who says a workhorse utility bike has to be ugly? Well done!

Down South Yooper
    Greg,

I picked up a piccolo to use for my daughter, any problems with your piccolo mount? I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

I've emailed a local builder, but if I can't get through to him, any chance your local guy would be able to produce a clone? I'm assuming that he'd need a donor rack, or at least it would speed up the process..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

Really I am that slow

Awesome Greg!

sweet dummy!
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    I should stay off this forum. Realy makes me want a Dummy!

Devo
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    I should stay off this forum. Realy makes me want a Dummy!
    you already want one.
    if you like to ride bikes, its a no brainer.
    Big Dummy
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    well, it has been a while since I have checked in on this thread...

much is the same on the bike... just riding along the big dumb life.

I replaced the full tray thule rack(s) for old school yakimas as they are MUCH lighter.

I built another custom dummy for a friend who is in love with mine and she uses it tons for a "non-cyclist"

@ferrstein - just pull the trigger - you won't regret it. troll craigslist for used, ride it until you know what you want to do to make it your own - that's what I did.

@SlowerThenSnot - thanks fixie. Love the bike. Cannot say that enough. Might be the only one if I had to have only one. And a third surly is in progress

@vaultbrad thanks... I thought the same thing - just because I am going to use the snot outta it doesn't mean that it has to be fugly.

@Hand/of/Midas Thanks for the kind words.

@Plum your reply for last as it is the longest. The piccolo is doing great... use it all the time. Kids get angry if I pick them up from school in a car on errand day(s). Uphill, downhill, seems stable and going strong. No issues. If your local guy won't do it for you, let me know. I suspect that I could put you in touch with my guy and maybe if you mail him the rack and snapdeck, he would do it all over again. PM me if you want his contact info.

Strangest load of late was some hand me down homebrew equipment a friend gave me:

It was a heavy load with 3 glass carboys and 2+cases of grolsch bottles...

But it was a few weeks later that I noticed the bottles were FULL! With ~20yo homebrew...

Such is the dummy way.

-g

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by gregclimbs View Post

@Plum your reply for last as it is the longest. The piccolo is doing great... use it all the time. Kids get angry if I pick them up from school in a car on errand day(s). Uphill, downhill, seems stable and going strong. No issues. If your local guy won't do it for you, let me know. I suspect that I could put you in touch with my guy and maybe if you mail him the rack and snapdeck, he would do it all over again. PM me if you want his contact info.

-g
    Thanks for the update, I was thinking that maybe the leverage of the piccolo would put too much onto the flight deck, happy to hear that's not the case.

I called up the local guy earlier this week, haven't heard back yet. I'll try him again, just to try and save the hassle of working out of town. If he's not available, I'll drop you a line.

Plum

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice bike. Its worth more than 2/3 of my cars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Leopold, I like the fork light mounts. Did you turn these out or were they purchased ?
    Got any close up pics of them ? Do you get much shadowing with the lights mounted in this location ?
    Heah, I know, Allot of questions...

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by LongtailJunkie View Post
    Leopold, I like the fork light mounts. Did you turn these out or were they purchased ?
    Got any close up pics of them ? Do you get much shadowing with the lights mounted in this location ?
    Sorry, not me with the fork-mounted lights. Mine (crude-looking home made jobbies brighter than those $600.00 lights you can buy) are rather boringly mounted using Marwi mounts atop my handlebars.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by LongtailJunkie View Post
    Pretty sure those are these:

Paul Component Engineering - Gino Light Mount

Plum

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Thanks Plum

Looks like that's it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    @longtailjunkie - they are in fact gino mounts... I no longer use them as I got the dyno. while I did have them, they were nice, the lights a little underwhelming tho... I have them laying around in a bin in you are interested in them.

@roosters - I am not sure of your point?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    great read. gonna have to try out a dummy. my one thing is trying to put my dog on it, the trailer has been great for almost 14 years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This lets you know what can be done if you have the money for it.Very well done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    This lets you know what can be done if you have the money for it.Very well done.
    everything takes money. as a bike rider ergonomics is what every biker thinks of. and of course the lines and such. THE FIT is everything. then comes the likes. every biker does it, change out parts. but talking about a custom build.... why mention money?

OR, am I missing the sarcasim ... most likely I'm thinking.... trying to figure my big dummy build right now!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    so, on the topic of $ and the cost of this bike...

very, very little was purchased new...

The son28 and light were new. The disc rotors were new. The chains were new...

The eco deck - new. And the nitto "stoker" bars were new...

Everything else (including the rohloff) were purchased used or came from other bikes. If I had to guess... I have less than $4k in the dummy. And maybe even closer to $3.5k in it.

I have certainly got that much use out of it (and continue to).

The best part was I winterized it recently... And by that, I mean I serviced the drivetrain.

It's amazing the level of crap that accumulates in the bottom of you freeloaders when you drag kids around:

It took longer to remove all the xtracycle kit off the dummy than it did to change the oil in the roholff.

And now it is good to go for another year. I do wish that the rohloff was cheaper, as I would tell everyone to get one for anything other than a pure race bike....

When I had it apart, I used the chance to finally add the patch that Dylan gave me...

And I had an idea of what to do with some bike glow I won at a recent race:

I sewed the el wire to the edges of the freeloaded with 30lb monofiliment... a slow and laborious process...

But very happy with the results....

g

Really I am that slow
    so, on the topic of $ and the cost of this bike...

very, very little was purchased new...

The son28 and light were new. The disc rotors were new. The chains were new...

The eco deck - new. And the nitto "stoker" bars were new...

Everything else (including the rohloff) were purchased used or came from other bikes. If I had to guess... I have less than $4k in the dummy. And maybe even closer to $3.5k in it.

I have certainly got that much use out of it (and continue to).

The best part was I winterized it recently... And by that, I mean I serviced the drivetrain.

It's amazing the level of crap that accumulates in the bottom of you freeloaders when you drag kids around:

It took longer to remove all the xtracycle kit off the dummy than it did to change the oil in the roholff.

And now it is good to go for another year. I do wish that the rohloff was cheaper, as I would tell everyone to get one for anything other than a pure race bike....

When I had it apart, I used the chance to finally add the patch that Dylan gave me...

And I had an idea of what to do with some bike glow I won at a recent race:

I sewed the el wire to the edges of the freeloaded with 30lb monofiliment... a slow and laborious process...

But very happy with the results....

g
    NICE patch!
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Nice job, EL wire rocks...

100+ wheel-build club
    Big dummy desires big meat:

Laced last night.

Frame and parts at powdercoat, RAL5012 is the color...

g
    From one Dummy to others; This is THE TIRE for a Dummy! They are FAST and SMOOTH and QUIET and have that nice "dance" like a Michelin rubber compound. HIGHLY reccomend! I just bought a Civia "Market rack" for the front. Super handy for throwing a backpack on or quick grocery get. Check 'em out.
    "Go that way REAL FAST, if something gets in your way... turn".

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    awesome! I am from Singapore and got my dummy 3 weeks ago. Was looking for more children friendly mods on Dummy and found this thread! Pls see my blog to see my first family ride on Dummy. Really fun ride...and when I see u and other on the forum doing super cool mods... I am very impressed! Pls keep on posting!
    smallwheelsbigsmile.blogspot.com/2011/11/grocery-shopping-with-dummy-intial-ride.html]smallwheelsbigsmile: Grocery shopping with Dummy - intial ride feedback

Cormac
    Wow! very nice bikes. I wish I had an extra cycle, but my race bike comes first when spending money on bikes
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    So sweet!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Is a dummy ever finished?

Well, to start, I finally finished my piccolo attachement.
    Hi Greg,

I have been following your Dummy 1.0 and 2.0 build and have been really impressed.

I'm planning to add a Burley Piccolo or Kazoo to my Xtracycle.

Because I live in Sweden it's difficult to find used parts and the Moose rack is discontinued.
    If you had to build the mount again, would you hack the new Tailwind rack or start from scratch and ask a frame builder to weld a rack?

(tried to send a PM, but apparently I haven't posted enough - yet)

/Mikael

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikva View Post
    Hi Greg,

I have been following your Dummy 1.0 and 2.0 build and have been really impressed.

I'm planning to add a Burley Piccolo or Kazoo to my Xtracycle.

Because I live in Sweden it's difficult to find used parts and the Moose rack is discontinued.
    If you had to build the mount again, would you hack the new Tailwind rack or start from scratch and ask a frame builder to weld a rack?

(tried to send a PM, but apparently I haven't posted enough - yet)

/Mikael
    they no longer make a moose rack, but they replaced it with this:

Burley - Tailwind Rack, Black | Trailercycle

which is compatible with the piccolo/kazoo...

/edit/
    sorry, I read your post too fast this morning...

yes, I would start with their rack. it ensures the mounting hardware for the rack is absolutely right.

/edit/

should do the trick.

g

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast