Thread: my new boxbike

mtbr member

my new boxbike

arriving in a day or two just about fully assembled on a freight pallet

2011 JoeBike Box Bike with all of the fixings... custom extra wide box, BB7 disc up front, Nuvinci N360 rear hub with Shimano IB80 roller brake, etc.

I can't wait to take it for a spin this weekend to the farmers market and back with 80 lbs of kids in the front and panniers loaded with groceries. Won't even come close to its cargo + rider capacity rating of 400 lbs!

Folks at Joe Bike in portland have been exceptional to deal with. Truly a white glove experience thus far. Knock on wood everything arrives A-OK. I will post an update following some ride time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my new boxbike-img_3088sm.jpg  

my new boxbike-img_3086sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sounds good !
    Have fun with it !
    You know the poor skills of french people for foreign languages so please be indulgent with me !

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well how does it ride?I like the look of it they make some pretty good bikes maybe a little odd looking for some but I think they are cool.You can take off the box and haul a lot of heavy stuff with it as I have seen a few videos on this bike.Update as you can.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    Well how does it ride?I like the look of it they make some pretty good bikes maybe a little odd looking for some but I think they are cool.You can take off the box and haul a lot of heavy stuff with it as I have seen a few videos on this bike.Update as you can.

I'm amazed at how well it does ride. The nuvinci internal hub is very smooth, and offers a wide range of gearing. I live in the midst of some steep hills and am able to barely clear them when loaded with two kids and a week's worth of farmer's market shopping. The bike itself is very easy to handle, steer. Amazingly so actually, considering how much weight being shlepped. And I agree - odd looking for sure! Every time I am out with it, I get a few people asking questions, honking etc. I just received my custom fab rain canopy in the mail last night and look forward to trying that out as well, now that we are finally getting some rain here. Kids sure like the boxbike as well! Here's a pic of them geared up ready for a ride, and a phone pic while rolling thru the hood, with our third 'kid' trotting along side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my new boxbike-cimg0086.jpg  

my new boxbike-cimg0084.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cool, I'm interested in a pic of it with the rain protection.
    I bet you get green points from the farmer's market people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yep the kids sure look happy.That bike is so cool looking.I'm like Roosters I want to see a pic with the rain protection on it too.Happy riding...

Beastrider
    Looks like a fun ride!!!!! And the kids appear to be having a great time as well. I love the ""Hurry up and take the picture"" look too!!!!!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

mtbr member

with the rain canopy

sorry for the delay, thanks for the continued interest! Here's a pic with the custom rain canopy (stitched up by Blaq designs in Portland). Works pretty slick. Not as elegant as some designs which can be collapsed and stored while riding, but as long as you make the call to use it or not when you head out, you are good, and it does the job. Boys love the hi visibility. I'll let you try to guess when the photo was taken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my new boxbike-wp_000065.jpg  

Beastrider
    GREAT setup!!!!! If I had kids I would certainly be considering a similar setup...

And...let me guess.....HALLOWEEN?????.....
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    sweet

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Really nice! I need to find somewhere I can test ride these...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    LOVE IT! Congrats!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    haha, That's awesome! I love the wood

mtbr member
    May 2011
    that's awesome, i wish there was a gigantic version that i could ride around in and have a giant person pedal for me! if only i were a rich man...

mtbr member
    ^^^^ I'm pretty sure the bench seat can hold one adult and a collection of beverages.... not that I've personally tried that.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster View Post
    ^^^^ I'm pretty sure the bench seat can hold one adult and a collection of beverages.... not that I've personally tried that.
    ah, so hire a bartender for your next tweed ride, and bring him along to keep you properly "hydrated"