Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

My 1987 SCO Long John

Here she is.

mtbr member
    Zoo Looks totally interesting.............Can't wait to see the evolution of this thing........

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: My 1987 SCO Long John

20" front wheel, 24" rear. Odysee Hazard Lite rims wrapped in Kenda K-rads. Original Sachs drum brake front, Nexus 8 with roller brake rear.

mtbr member
    Cool. What's the plan for usage? Will this be a commuter tourer? I imagine you wouldn't do much offroad, but then again maybe you will.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Cool. What's the plan for usage? Will this be a commuter tourer? I imagine you wouldn't do much offroad, but then again maybe you will.
    It will be a city hauler. The Long John design wouldn't be good for any off-road riding, with its wide basket and low ground clearance.

This bike will be used for work and pleasure, in an attempt to reduce the amount of driving that I do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    It will be a city hauler. The Long John design wouldn't be good for any off-road riding, with its wide basket and low ground clearance.

This bike will be used for work and pleasure, in an attempt to reduce the amount of driving that I do.
    Excellent! Still keen on seeing the evolution. Liking this thread...........

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi there,
    i just purchased a pretty bashed-up SCO Long John, which is from 1964 according to the frame number. I already purchased a SG-8C31 Nexus 8 speed hub with coaster brake, which i want to install into the current rim of the no-gear Sachs Komet freewheel-equipped rear wheel.
    What length spokes did you use for your rear wheel? and do you know, if i could add a drum brake to my from wheel, or does your front fork have a receptacle for the torque arm of the brake, which mine might lack?
    regards,
    Felix

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    by the way: i'm amazed that these bikes appear to make it all the way across the atlantic. they are not exactly a rare sight in copenhagen, but then again, they were produced only 150 km from here, which is way less than the distance from Denver ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Pics!!!!?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by donflexus View Post
    Hi there,
    i just purchased a pretty bashed-up SCO Long John, which is from 1964 according to the frame number. I already purchased a SG-8C31 Nexus 8 speed hub with coaster brake, which i want to install into the current rim of the no-gear Sachs Komet freewheel-equipped rear wheel.
    What length spokes did you use for your rear wheel? and do you know, if i could add a drum brake to my from wheel, or does your front fork have a receptacle for the torque arm of the brake, which mine might lack?
    regards,
    Felix
    My lbs built the wheels for me, so I couldn't tell you. It would depend on your specific rim dimensions, anyway. When I bought this one, the drum brake arm was secured to the fork blade with a metal hose clamp. The only appendage on my fork is for the steering arm.

Yep, I'm impressed by the charm and character of this bike. It was fun to ride in its complete, but fallen into disrepair-ed state that I got the bike in. I can imagine it'll be a lot better once she's fully refreshed. Lots of folks riding around on Xtracycle type long tails, but I've never seen another one of these around here.

I bought it from a kid who found it in Toronto. He said he took it apart, strapped it to the roof of his car, and brought it down to the states. He used it for a bike courier company for a while, and then sold it to me. I'm sure if this bike could talk, it would have many stories to tell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ok, i would have measured the existing wheels anyway, as i read that the SCO long johns have had varying rear wheel sizes throughout the years. i'll just have to pull myself together then!

it sounds like you are going to give the bike a complete makeover, including paint job and such? i'm thinking of doing the same with mine, as there is some surface rust, and the steering has quite some play.

i'd love to see some pictures of your progress, just as i could post some of mine, once i get to the paint removal, exchanging head sets, etc etc.

just googled xtracycle, as i hadn't heard of it. found this http://www.twowheelingtots.com/wp-co...cle-family.png

looks kind of weird, but maybe that's just because you don't see these bikes in europe!

mtbr member

Here she is.

I would LOVE to find a project like that! Awesome!

mtbr member
    May 2011

After a fresh coat of shiny black powder (and dust for sitting in the shop for 10 days):

Crummy phone pics, looks great in person. I do kinda miss the patina, but I'm hoping this will look like a million bucks when its finished.

mtbr member

I'd stencil ZOO back on it, though... 😀

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by classrc View Post
    I'd stencil ZOO back on it, though... 😀
    me too.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    May 2011

Initial assembly complete. A proud bike owner is me.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Details.

mtbr member
    May 2011

There is a lot to photograph.

Rides like a dream.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wow, that thing is sweet!
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift

mtbr member
    Wow, nice job. Super cool end result

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Cool project!

mtbr member
    Nice, but seriously you gotta stencil Zoo back on there. Do it for the kids.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm thinking about it. Although it is very handsome in all black.

Other plans include a wooden deck for the carrier, and a custom enclosed carrier for dogs. One small caveat; I don't know the first thing about woodworking.

mtbr member
    Although it is very handsome in all black.

Other plans include a wooden deck for the carrier, and a custom enclosed carrier for dogs. One small caveat; I don't know the first thing about woodworking.
    Black tie, everybody crazy 'bout a sharp looking bike.
    The deck wouldn't be hard. You just gotta get/make some quality slats, possibly cedar, bamboo or pine with a good water resistant stain/sealer. Measure 3 times, cut once. Do you have the necessary tools? Circular saw, router, drill? It wouldn't be too difficult. As far as the carrier, that would be a bit more difficult. Perhaps consider something you can strap to the deck that's easily removable. What are you thinking? Something like an aluminum frame with nylon stretched over, like a Burly body without the wheels? Also, if you do bring the dogs around, you should add Petting before the Zoo stencil. Do it for the kids. Seriously cool project, now for the big question, how does it ride?
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^ It rides awsome. The first thing you notice is the steering. There isn't as much of a "gyroscopic effect" as with a normal bike. You corner like you would in a '67 Lincoln Continental. It's geared like a tractor, so it spins happily up hills. It's very quiet, with a solid but not unforgiving ride. It rides with as much character as it looks. So glad I went with this route instead of a new Bulitt (nothing against them).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast