mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mounting Fenders..

Hey guys, can you PLEASE show some pics of how your fenders are mounted both front and back.. I'm struggling here.. I know it sounds stupid, but I really am...

PRETENDURO
    Hmm, well, all I did was get some of those $8.93 Apex fenders (made for 20" wheels) from Bikewagon in Utah. Just have to slightly bend the aluminum mounts a bit for them to fit nicely (I run 26" x 2.5" Maxxis Hookworms) on large tires (images below show them CLEARING massive 26" x 3.0" Duro Racing Wildlife tires). What a bargain!!!

Link to Buy-It-Now auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220693381691

QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Oh yeah, on the back I didnít bother running a fender, instead just using an Oregon license plate from a car I bought back in 2008, which is ziptied to the back of the Freeloader/Freeradical bars.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What brand are you running? I'm running a set of planet bike hardcore atbs...they mounted totally standard (other than having to trim the rear fender to clear the chain.) You can see the front here:

mtbr member
    I've got the SKSs from Rivendell, no trim for chain needed. On the disc brake side in front I used the rack braze-on to mount halfway up the fork. I hand bent the fender stays and trimmed off the uneeded extra stay length. In the rear I also used a different set of braze-ons than the ones near the rear axle. Again, I bent and trimmed the fender stays to fit on both sides.

I may also have mounted the fender stays on the inside of the braze-ons rather than the outside IIRC, I'll try to remember to get a pic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I'm done..

I got it all done now.. I was just so tired last night the simplest task was stupid.. I just wish I could get the front fender snugger to the tire.. The rear one is fine, the front one is a huge gap.. I got the Planet Bike Cascadias.. (SP)

Devo
    you want that gap
    the reason is... to let debris clear itself out
    the rear fender, being so close... is not the best setup

bigger gap is better, let rocks, etc... break away
    a very close fit just lets things like a small twig get caught between the tire and fender.
    its annoying

big gap gives mud a chance to fling off of the tire, stick to the fender and fall off... or not

close fit... just clogs with mud, and the tire has to constantly cut its way thru the muck.

with a bigger gap, at least it gives that much more room to allow mud to fling off of the tire.

gap is good.
    close is not

road bikes with the likes of SKS Blades... thats another story, typically in the realm of 23-28c tyres, slicks at that. typically they don't collect debris.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Close fit

I like the close fit, but I don't run off road with the BD. Also the Planet Bike 29ers give a good fit with better clearance. In the photos I have the 26 in fenders on , but I changed the rear to a 29er and MUCH better coverage. Here are some photos of how I routed my fender stays.
    Last edited by LongtailJunkie; 04-26-2011 at 09:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks..

Thanks, I like how you wrapped the fender rods.. Is that shrink wrap or just tape?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yeah, That's heat shrink. A larger piece shrunk over a smaller one. I'll have to post some more pics with the 29er fender on the back. It comes down well below the frame in the very back. So you got your's finished up ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Yeah, but..

I took the pictures to big, so I can't post them.. Will take some more tomorrow.. REALLY like that heat shrink idea!

Devo
    to each their own.

anything touching, no matter what the insulator, is going to produce a hot spot.
    running the fender stays inside the frame puts them that much closer to the wheel, where things will get caught.
    its much better to let the frame of the bike break sticks and twigs, along the way
    instead of tangling up in thin flexible stainless steel.

if you discover a rattling sound from the rear fender its more than likely the interface between the plastic fender and the plastic bridge adaptor, and/or between the snapdeck and fender. quick solve is to use epoxy, JB weld, or just tape between the plastic bridge and fender.

the interface between snapdeck and fender, I used a piece of innertube and some epoxy applied to the underside of the snapdeck.

well... to each their own... there's more than one way to ride a bike.

nice looking BD
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I understand what you're saying. I ran the stays inside the frame after having so many fender rubs with my Xtracycle. The load stapped to the bike would push on the fender stays forcing the fender into the wheel. When I got my BD I ran the stays inside the frame and I no longer have that problem. Appreciate the advise though. That's a chance I'll take. The bike is pretty much strictly a street bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I understand what you're saying. I run the stays inside the frame after having so many fender rubs with my Xtracycle. The load stapped to the bike would push on the fender stays forcing the fender into the wheel. When I got my BD I ran the stays inside the frame and I no longer have that problem. Appreciate the advise though. That's a chance I'll take. The bike is pretty much strictly a street bike.

Down South Yooper
    I'm also running the PB cascadia 29ers, as I had a set already. I ran my stays outside the dummy frame, as it actually put a little more tension into the fender stay. I don't get any buzzing or rattling of the fenders. Originally I had some HD tape between the stays and the frame, but it didn't stick very well to the tight radius, so right now I have nothing there.

A tube sounds like a good idea, might do that when the weather warms up a little.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here you can see the rear coverage with the 29ers.http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1297825761
    Last edited by LongtailJunkie; 04-26-2011 at 09:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here you can see the rear coverage with the 29ers.http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1297825761