Self-defeatist

Mostest Weight Capacity?

Hey guys.

I was wondering which cargo bikes have the greatest weight capacity. In the summer I do local deliveries (within a few blocks) for a brewpub and using the stake-truck or even my car is really tedious in summer when the streets are crammed with tourists on foot and in their cars. Some streets are pedestrian-only and I have to make long trips with a loaded hand cart (a disaster waiting to happen, IMO).

I was thinking that a cargo bike or trailer would be ideal for weaving through tourists and getting as close to loading-doors as possible. Unfortunately most bikes have a cargo capacity of ~300 pounds. Most deliveries involve one-sixth-barrel torpedo kegs and it wouldn't be worth it to go with less than, say six, which is a common order in the summer months. A couple of restaurants order half-barrel kegs which are around 160 pounds and I'd like to be able to travel with at least three. Now we're talking about 450+ pounds...plus me, and I'm no slouch at about 250.

The only bike I can find that might fit the bill would be a Worksman front-loading trike. Optional mag wheels would probably be needed.

Am I missing anything? Are there any other bikes or trailers that would carry that much beer without balking? No rush, I've barely mentioned it to the brewery management, and I don't even start back to work until April. But they're pretty open minded, if I could come to them with a product and describe how it would make work easier/more efficient I think they might go for it.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member

Lane at CETMA has test his cargo bike up to 400lbs and it was going strong so you should be fine with 450lbs and yourself. Obviously a strong wheel set is important, but the small 20" front wheel makes that pretty easy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vikappr...th/5381043784/

http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/tag/cetma/

I haven't got past 200lbs on my CETMA yet, but I expect to this summer. It actually rides better loaded than empty IMO.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    wait, how do you steer that now looking at it??

mtbr member
    ^^ Steering rod from front axle goes back to bottom of steering tube/bars. You can just see a piece of it. Easier to see on their site.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    o, haha thats a pretty sweet link setup

Class Clown
    a bike carrying hundreds of pounds of beer = best bike ever

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not just weight capacity, but I think you need to consider the size of the platform. 3 kegs take up quite a bit of space on a bike platform. My feeling is that you need to look into a trailer of some sort.

Check out the thread by Stu in Tokyo. He's got a custom home-built trailer for carrying liquor and beer. Maybe not exactly what you need but at least he's carrying similar goods/weights.

mtbr member
    Yuba Mundo: 440 lbs of cargo, not counting the rider.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yuba Mundo = 440 pound cargo capacity

Bikes-at-Work trailer = 300 pound cargo capacity

Add the two together, and you're talking ~750+ pounds capacity.

Or, use any bike and put two Bikes-at-Work trailers behind it hooked train style, 300+ pounds each. I've had 350 pounds on my Bikes-at-Work 64A with no problems. Just be sure to center the load over the axle(s).

As far as trailers are concerned, there's also Black Oak Fabrications out of Portland, OR. I have no experience with them but have read positive comments online. I'm also not sure what their capacity is, but their prices seem reasonable for a heavy duty trailer.
    Last edited by J_Hopper; 08-18-2011 at 10:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I know someone who uses a Bikes at Work trailer and really likes it. I've seen good reviews on them.
    When I get the bucks I want to get one myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Easy Loading and Unloading

With that much weight it's a big issue. The Worksman would would not even blink!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You could have something custom built, too! Strong wheels is a pretty big thing at that point - I have a pair of BMX rims laced to 20mm axle MTB hubs which is probably ideal for that kind of build.

Having the weight low is absolutely necessary, too! I would want a trike with that much load.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yah, the Big Dummy can go for 400lbs rider+cargo, but would be an awful idea for this application on a regular basis (there's a few trendy shots of kegs on wideloaders on flickr, but not super practical). I think the bikes at work trailers might be your best move as they are modular/collapsible and keep the weight low and provide an area for you to put either buckets/bin or build a flat deck.

I suppose if you can fit all your cargo in something like the cetma then go for it. But if you'll always be needing just a little more room than that front area the modular trailer might be a better choice. The cetma would probably be easier to navigate through tourists though.

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    a bike carrying hundreds of pounds of beer = best bike ever
    My thought exactly!
    Last edited by 6bobby9; 09-12-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BenSwayne View Post
    ...if you'll always be needing just a little more room than that front area the modular trailer might be a better choice. ....
    As the Bikes at Work trailers are modular, you should see if you can get one with two axle sections. A four-wheel, double axle bike trailer would probably be more than strong enough to carry all the cargo you'd be capable of pulling.