mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Mongoose Envoy Cargo Bike

I came across this the other day.... looks pretty legit for $500 and the bags look huge.... thoughts?

https://www.costco.ca/Mongoose-Envoy...100396819.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Envoy Cargo Bike-envoy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    That looks impressive for the price. Most the components I can recognize seem like they would be at home on an $800 bike at the LBS. It's not truly a Mongoose I don't think, as Canada is not even a regiona selectable on the Mongoose website. Likely a rebranded catalogue bike for Costco. Wheel durability are important and hard to judge without seeing it in person. The other question I have is weather it is compatible with any of the accessories that are already on the market. We have been considering a cargo bike to avoid getting a second car as my oldest has outgrown the trailer. A $500 experiment to see if cargo biking is for us is easier to swallow than a $2500 one. I'd consider this one knowing it's likely it would have shortcomings that would need to be addressed, which i feel comfortable doing as an ex-bike mechanic. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Its a mongoose alright, completely designed in house
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    Its a mongoose alright, completely designed in house
    Then I feel lucky you were able to point this out, even if it proves my guess wrong! Are you able to give us information about compatibility with xtracycle accessories? TIA

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would imagine the bags would work and anything that would strap on. There are small alloy loops on the top of the rear frame and on the chainstays. As well as lots of water bottle bolt braze-ons on the rear rack and frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    I would imagine the bags would work and anything that would strap on. There are small alloy loops on the top of the rear frame and on the chainstays. As well as lots of water bottle bolt braze-ons on the rear rack and frame.
    So I went ahead and ordered one. This is an experiment for our family as we try to reduce our dependence on the car and this pricepoint is easy to accept.

To follow up on the accessories, specifically I'm wondering about the Yepp Maxi EasyFit seat as well as the different Kid cages (Yuba Monkeybars, RadWagon Caboose, Xtracycle Hoopties). Any information you can provide about the rack dimensions to mount these things would be tremendous help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That certainly looks like an affordable entry into the world of cargo bikes. My only initial red flag, at this or any price point, is that crazy-low kickstand. It looks like it's begging to be ripped off the frame by hanging that low.
    I dig steel-framed bikes of all shapes and sizes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There are 5 cross bars on the top of the rack, each is 165mm apart and the bolts are 80mm apart on each bar. Please note though, we did not design this product for compatibility with the intention of carrying kids or pets. Hope you like it!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Is that a steering damper spring I see under the downtube behind the fork ?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Is that a steering damper spring I see under the downtube behind the fork ?
    I don't think it's a damper proper, I think it's just meant to keep the front wheel straight when it's on the centre stand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Interested in seeing more views of the handlebar. From what I can see it almost looks like a Jones loop bar with less sweep and a bit of rise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Interested in seeing more views of the handlebar. From what I can see it almost looks like a Jones loop bar with less sweep and a bit of rise.
    similar design, lots of hand position options and places to mount accessories. 710mm wide, 27 degrees sweep.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Coming to the US? Can't find anything online.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not yet, your best bet would be to try and have someone ship it to you from Canada, a bike shop maybe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    What is the cargo capacity/max payload? More pictures and information would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    FYI to all, no longer listed as back ordered on Costco.ca. Hopefully mine will ship soon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    we're wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to remove the cargo bags when we just want to ride, not carry anything....thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by corine View Post
    we're wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to remove the cargo bags when we just want to ride, not carry anything....thx
    super easy to take on and off, three hooks at the top that are connected to two by elastic straps towards the bottom. Just lift the bag up so the hooks at the top come out of the loops in the frame, tilt the bag forward and unhook the lower hooks from their tabs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    @skota23, do you know the what weight capacity is for this bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    We tested it to 130lbs, but there is no "official" test for cargo capacity as an industry standard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks for the reply

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The one I ordered got here yesterday, but I have not ridden it yet. Initial impressions from inspection are generally good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Are both wheels 26"?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Are both wheels 26"?
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    @yammer - you have to give us some specs! You're the only source of info on this bike right now. Can you share some pics too?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HangryMapache View Post
    @yammer - you have to give us some specs! You're the only source of info on this bike right now. Can you share some pics too?
    I will try give detailed impressions, but possibly not until next week as I will be travelling again. In the meantime, feel free to ask any specific questions and I'll leave a picture!

Mongoose Envoy Cargo Bike-envoy2.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    It's a good looking bike. I wonder if it rides sluggish. Keep us posted and thanks for the picture.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HangryMapache View Post
    It's a good looking bike. I wonder if it rides sluggish. Keep us posted and thanks for the picture.
    for a cargo bike it should be pretty maneuverable. Chainstays are short compared to most at 640mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    The rack looks very durable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    @skota23 - Is it possible to attach child seat to the rack?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Maybe, but design it to be compatible with any specific seat.

mtbr member
    Definitely let us know when they are available in the US!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    awesome user name

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was finally able to finish tuning this bike up and take it for a ride. Please forgive the lack of prose as I want to hammer this out quickly for the benefit those who are interested.

The take away I feel is the value, especially for us Canadians who have fewer options and generally pay more than the exchange rate would warrant. For $500, the value can't be beat.

Pros:
    - Value ($500), Costco's return policy. Free shipping.
    - Lightweight for its class.
    - Welded on rear rack seems very sturdy. Side carriers are bolted on and seem of good quality also.
    - Included fenders that fit 2.35in tires easily.
    - Surprising quality of some components (brake levers, seat, lock on grips)
    - Practical handlebar design.
    - 4 bottle cage mounts (2 on fork, 2 on frame).
    - Tons of mounting points.
    - Inluded cargo bags.

Cons:
    -25.4mm handelbar makes a stem swap in 2018 difficult.
    -Tire quality
    -Sticky rear brake (likely for long fully housed run)
    -Fender cut and finish (visibly trimmed by hand)
    -Wheel quality
    -Bent rear derailleur (likely from shipping)
    -Rear derailleur hanger not replaceable.

Comments.
    -I would advise anyone that is not very comfortable tuning bikes to have a shop look at it, especially if you will be riding it loaded. The wheels needed some work, the axles were very tight, and the rear wheel was missing a lot of tension.
    -Mine happened to have a bent derailleur, but since I'd have to return the entire bike, I'd rather replace it myself than deal with the dissambly, exchange and new assembly. The bike was well packed otherwise.
    -The centre stand, fenders, and cargo bags are nice bonuses. The center stand is however pretty narrow, and with any weight on the top rack, the bike will want to tip on anything but perfectly flat ground. The bags are narrower than they seem in the pictures, perhaps just a bit wider than a 2L carton of milk. They do have waterproof zippers though. They go on and off easily.
    -The bike rides well. I think it might be more of a mid tail cargo bike than a long tail.
    -The brakes are nice solid shimano levers with mystery calipers. They seem to be on par with quality from Tektro and work well and did not take long to bed in. The rear is a bit sticky the first couple squeezes, I'm not sure if it's the caliper or the long cable run.
    -The Yepp seat adapter works on the top rack.
    -Tire volume (26x 2.35) makes fora nice ride, but the tires themselves are quite load and don't have a great road feel. I plan on getting some Big Bens
    -The racks are such that the bike can be stored vertically (good for those limited on space).
    -Not sure what's going on at the very back of the bike with that extra tube that is parallel to the wheel axles. It differs from the stock pictures and does seem like extra material in the end.

All and all, I'm very happy. It is working nicely for my use. I will switch the tires, replace the derailleur and maybe even upgrade the calipers to BB7's

Happy to answer any specific questions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    We just mounted the bike yesterday and yes, it is a big bike with big bags but looks and rides great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanner View Post
    I was finally able to finish tuning this bike up and take it for a ride. Please forgive the lack of prose as I want to hammer this out quickly for the benefit those who are interested.

The take away I feel is the value, especially for us Canadians who have fewer options and generally pay more than the exchange rate would warrant. For $500, the value can't be beat.

Pros:
    - Value ($500), Costco's return policy. Free shipping.
    - Lightweight for its class.
    - Welded on rear rack seems very sturdy. Side carriers are bolted on and seem of good quality also.
    - Included fenders that fit 2.35in tires easily.
    - Surprising quality of some components (brake levers, seat, lock on grips)
    - Practical handlebar design.
    - 4 bottle cage mounts (2 on fork, 2 on frame).
    - Tons of mounting points.
    - Inluded cargo bags.

Cons:
    -25.4mm handelbar makes a stem swap in 2018 difficult.
    -Tire quality
    -Sticky rear brake (likely for long fully housed run)
    -Fender cut and finish (visibly trimmed by hand)
    -Wheel quality
    -Bent rear derailleur (likely from shipping)
    -Rear derailleur hanger not replaceable.

Comments.
    -I would advise anyone that is not very comfortable tuning bikes to have a shop look at it, especially if you will be riding it loaded. The wheels needed some work, the axles were very tight, and the rear wheel was missing a lot of tension.
    -Mine happened to have a bent derailleur, but since I'd have to return the entire bike, I'd rather replace it myself than deal with the dissambly, exchange and new assembly. The bike was well packed otherwise.
    -The centre stand, fenders, and cargo bags are nice bonuses. The center stand is however pretty narrow, and with any weight on the top rack, the bike will want to tip on anything but perfectly flat ground. The bags are narrower than they seem in the pictures, perhaps just a bit wider than a 2L carton of milk. They do have waterproof zippers though. They go on and off easily.
    -The bike rides well. I think it might be more of a mid tail cargo bike than a long tail.
    -The brakes are nice solid shimano levers with mystery calipers. They seem to be on par with quality from Tektro and work well and did not take long to bed in. The rear is a bit sticky the first couple squeezes, I'm not sure if it's the caliper or the long cable run.
    -The Yepp seat adapter works on the top rack.
    -Tire volume (26x 2.35) makes fora nice ride, but the tires themselves are quite load and don't have a great road feel. I plan on getting some Big Bens
    -The racks are such that the bike can be stored vertically (good for those limited on space).
    -Not sure what's going on at the very back of the bike with that extra tube that is parallel to the wheel axles. It differs from the stock pictures and does seem like extra material in the end.

All and all, I'm very happy. It is working nicely for my use. I will switch the tires, replace the derailleur and maybe even upgrade the calipers to BB7's

Happy to answer any specific questions.
    Excellent, detailed review. Thank you!
    I dig steel-framed bikes of all shapes and sizes.