Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me

Where to begin?

I've owned my Surly Big Dummy since September 2010. Since that time I've put about 1,500 miles on it, riding it almost every day. The Dummy is my primary form of transportation. It serves as my daily commuter, my around-town bike, my touring rig, and even as my road bike.

I couldn't be happier with this bike. It puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. The ride is very smooth, very stable, and very predictable. The Dummy is extremely versatile and handles and pedals well unloaded, fully loaded, and anywhere in-between. The bike is capable, comfortable, and versatile. It is a magnificent machine.

I bought the bike as a complete model and haven't had a single issue with any of the components. In fact, I haven't even had a flat tire yet. I've made a few minor upgrades (fenders, grips, saddle, etc), but have been very happy with the overall build.

I love this bike.

I figured it was time to start documenting my adventures and undertakings with the Dummy. I'll be posting pictures from my outings as well as my ongoing thoughts about the bike.

Enjoy.

My Dummy, today:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0148.jpg  

mtbr member

What can you carry with a Big Dummy?

How about two 29er wheels? No problem!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0155.jpg  

Last edited by mattbryant2; 04-18-2011 at 02:05 PM.

mtbr member

Open Bar!

After riding the Dummy with the stock Surly Torsion Bar for about six months, I decided I wanted a handlebar with more sweep for long rides. I decided to try the Surly Open Bar. I've been riding with it for 4 days now, and although I haven't logged any serious mileage, I like it so far. The hand position is comfortable and steering feels smooth. I'm hoping this handlebar will keep my hands from getting numb after 20+ miles -- should have an opportunity to put it to the test early this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0154.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0158.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0161.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0160.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice ride! Thanks for sharing.

Love the new bars on that bike.

mtbr member

How about a whole 29er? Easy! I think I could pull two!

(This simple setup actually works surprisingly well for towing a bicycle.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0227.jpg  

mtbr member

Okay, no more pictures of the Dummy hauling bikes after this.

At least not for a little while. I just find it amusing, and quite convenient!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0233.jpg  

mtbr member
    So dumb question... if you ride to the ride towing your MTB with your BD, do you chain up the BD while out on trail? I'd be concerned that my rides ride would be gone when I got back to the trail head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    So dumb question... if you ride to the ride towing your MTB with your BD, do you chain up the BD while out on trail? I'd be concerned that my rides ride would be gone when I got back to the trail head.
    I am fortunate enough to live close to the local mountain bike trails, so I'm able to just ride my mountain bike from my house. I've only used the Dummy to tow bikes to the shop. However, if I did use the Dummy to tow my mountain bike to a trailhead, I would certainly lock it up! I think I would sob like a child if the Dummy was stolen.

mtbr member

Lopez Island, WA

Had a proper Dummy adventure this weekend. 40ish miles each way of road and path along Bellingham Bay, Samish Bay, and Padilla Bay from Bellingham to Anacortes, with a 45-minute ferry ride to Lopez Island with 5 miles of pedaling on the island. Accompanied by my lady. Great weather on the way down Friday, bit of rain on the way back, but no big deal. Lots of beautiful landscape to ride through. The Dummy rode very well, although I did discover a flat after I had set up camp -- no big deal.

Enjoy the pictures. There's a packing list, the Dummy with its counterpart (Cross-check), a well-packed and secure load, camp, ride pics, a tight squeeze through the entrance to a path, etc. More on my blog -- link in my signature.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0237.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0240.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0238.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0243.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0248.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0254.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0257.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0275.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0285.jpg  

Last edited by mattbryant2; 05-21-2011 at 12:37 AM.

mtbr member

Map.

Forgot to attach this one.

mtbr member
    Loving the open bar! As of now I am running Mary bars on my X, will probably go to these eventually! Great looking bike!

mtbr member

Lots of groceries, and in only one Freeloader bag. This large reusable shopping bag fits perfectly into a Freeloader pocket. It'd be nice to balance the load out with an identical bag on the other side, but the bike handles fine with the weight on one side (I can easily ride without hands), and two people only need so much food. Perhaps next time I should just load the other side up with beer?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0288.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0290.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome! I'm green with envy!

mtbr member

FlightDeck + Whatchamacollars

I wanted to stiffen up the V-Racks on the Dummy so I ordered a FlightDeck with SuperHooks and two sets of Whatchamacollars. After installation, the rear end feels very solid. I anticipate no more cargo sway with heavy loads.

I also took the opportunity to remove the last of the decals and the head "badge" (a glorified sticker), because I like the clean look.

UPDATE: Took my lady out to dinner last night on the Dummy. With the new hardware I barely noticed her back there. The combination of the collars and bolt-on hooks makes for a very stiff setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0301.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0302.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0305.jpg  

Last edited by mattbryant2; 05-05-2011 at 06:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Glad you are enjoying your BD...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Dummy Lite

With the addition of the Whatchamacollars, I now have the option of running one V-Rack or both V-Racks without a deck. Since I commute on the Dummy every day and usually only bring a backpack with me, I've got it configured as pictured until the next time I need to carry cargo or a passenger. Having the weight on one side really doesn't bother me, and the bike definitely feels lighter with only one rack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0322.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0321.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0320.jpg  

mtbr member
    I could never be bothered to modify my bags/racks to save the 1-2lbs it would change for each ride. I keep all manner of suff in my bags like Footsies, wideloaders and straps. A lot of my cargo loads are unplanned as I end up somewhere and need to haul something that I didn't anticipate.

OTOH - if this works for you awesome! I like the fact that BD's are so versatile.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Big Dummy = Fishing Rig

Afternoon fishing expedition. Put some knobby tires on the Dummy for its maiden singletrack voyage. It handled the trail very well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0330.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0338.jpg  

Last edited by mattbryant2; 05-20-2011 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb
    I could never be bothered to modify my bags/racks to save the 1-2lbs it would change for each ride.
    I don't find it to be a bother at all. It takes just a minute or two to slip the v-racks in, tighten the straps, tighten the Whatchamacollar bolts, and tighten the deck bolts. It takes even less time if going from no racks to one rack, or one rack to two. I bring what I know I'll need for a ride and allow enough space for anything I'll pick up along the way, and configure the bike accordingly. The bike rides very well without the racks, and it's nice to save some weight and wind resistance and increase my clearances if I don't need the extra cargo capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by vikb
    I like the fact that BD's are so versatile.
    Me too: I went with this configuration the other night on a 35-mile dirt road/gravel road/trail adventure. Handled the different terrain and some very steep climbs easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0375.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What was climbing like? I imagine it's really easy to keep the front end down even when hammering up a hill...but on the other hand, how hard was it to keep weight on the rear end, to keep traction when climbing?

What about the breakover angle/bb clearance? Was that an issue at all (or was it not gnarly enough to be an issue?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm
    What was climbing like? I imagine it's really easy to keep the front end down even when hammering up a hill...but on the other hand, how hard was it to keep weight on the rear end, to keep traction when climbing?

What about the breakover angle/bb clearance? Was that an issue at all (or was it not gnarly enough to be an issue?)
    I can't imagine having an issue with keeping the front end planted while climbing on the Dummy, but I also can't imagine endoing the Dummy, although I suppose it is possible. Keeping the rear end planted on a climb is a little more difficult while standing, especially without a load back there, but doable with some body english. I tend to climb seated most of the time, and traction hasn't been an issue with seated climbing except steep inclines with loose gravel, on which I've stood up and leaned back. Didn't seem to take long to get accustomed to climbing in this fashion.

In response to your other question, I have hit my chainring a few times, but it's big, so I suppose that is to be expected. My Dummy isn't really configured to ride a few of the trails I've taken it on, and the bike is a bit too long to float down some rolls other mountain bikes could handle fairly easily. These are inherent drawbacks of the design, I suppose. However, I will say unless dealing with lots of logs or steep rock rollers, the Dummy handles trails quite well.

mtbr member

Baker Lake, WA

Did 65 miles each way of pavement, gravel, and dirt this weekend. Long ride loaded down with gear, but I enjoyed it. The Dummy handled the load well, except for a bit of speed wobble riding without hands (I suppose that is to be expected with 40 lbs of gear on the back and no weight up front).

My hands went numb on both rides, and I was wishing for another hand position. I'm considering a Jones H-Bar, but we'll see.

The Big Apple tires are amazing on pavement but I will probably switch to some Marathons (of one flavor or another) for a longer upcoming dirt/gravel tour.

I've been very happy with the Brooks B-17 until this last ride, during which I felt all of the rivets on the saddle pressing into my backside. I'm going to tension the saddle a bit and see if that makes any difference, but the WTB SST may go back on.

More pictures from this weekend on my blog (link in signature).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0431.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0439.jpg  

A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0429.jpg  

aka DummyDiva
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Did 65 miles each way of pavement, gravel, and dirt this weekend. Long ride loaded down with gear, but I enjoyed it. The Dummy handled the load well, except for a bit of speed wobble riding without hands (I suppose that is to be expected with 40 lbs of gear on the back and no weight up front)..
    What's the "tube" in the top pic? Very nice. Hope to share my pix from my trip this week, camping and riding. I leave in an hour.

mtbr member
    The tube is just a cardboard mailer I covered with duct tape to weatherproof. In it I carry my fishing and tent poles. Quite useful.

mtbr member

How about 3 scavenged pallets for a backyard blaze?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me-img_0444.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast