Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cars Are Evil

Looking for Big Dummy tires 2.3 - 2.5

We're getting a Big Dummy in a few weeks for hauling our daughter. We live on a gravel road and ride a lot of gravel to stay away from traffic. I'm a big fan of wide tires. I'm looking for recommendations for 2.3 - 2.5 inches wide tires that roll well but have some tread. Something like a Kenda Small Block. An extra bonus would be puncture protection and a heavy sidewall so I don't have to change a flat while trying to keep a todddler happy. Everything that I've found so far that's puncture resistant is too narrow and/or too smooth.

Thanks for any help

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Halo Twin Rail might meet your needs. The only issue is they are 2.2 wide not 2.3 but otherwise they tick all your boxes. Not sure about US availability either as I am in the UK

NONDURO
    The 26"x2.5" Maxxis Hookworms are pretty awesome. I have them on my Big Dummy mounted to 65mm wide Surly Large Marges. Iím always impressed with their ability to take corners in wet and loose conditions on and off road without understeering. Really rugged construction too, although I run mine with Stanís goop inside them since a goathead (tribulus terrestris) thorn is capable of flatting them.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think the Hookworms with the right pressure would be fine on gravel, especially with the weight of a kid and the seat on the back. If you had a lot of steep downhills with a lot of loose rock, then maybe something else would be in order, but I'm going to guess that's not the case.

Cars Are Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloan View Post
    I have been using the Hookworms for a year now, hauling two kids in city, sandy, hardpack dirt conditions. I love them!
    Are you able to run fenders with the Hookworms?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have been using the Hookworms for a year now, hauling two kids in city, sandy, hardpack dirt conditions. I love them!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er View Post
    I never run fenders, but I live in Los Angeles so it's really only an issue for me maybe 10-15 days a year. Maybe someone else can answer that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm running Hookworms with SKS P65 fenders with no clearance problems. They are probably the widest of any of the plastic fenders, but need mudflaps added for best results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for Big Dummy tires 2.3 - 2.5-careby_bd14.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Careby View Post
    I'm running Hookworms with SKS P65 fenders with no clearance problems. They are probably the widest of any of the plastic fenders, but need mudflaps added for best results.
    Nice! Can't wait to get my Xtracycle built up: Voodoo Bantu, FreeRadical, Surly 1x1 fork, the wheels and components from my Troll Complete, rolling on Hookworms.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Careby View Post
    Nice what size frame you have I have the 18" going to put on a new set of wheels later in the year and go with Hookworms 2.5.

NONDURO
    Hookworms on my Big Dummy:
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm running PlanetBike cascadia 29er fenders with the hookworms on my Dummy. They seem to work pretty well.

dragin' fly
    check out scwhalbe fat albert with the snake skin side walls. pricey but will outlast most tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    Nice what size frame you have I have the 18" going to put on a new set of wheels later in the year and go with Hookworms 2.5.
    Mine is an 18" also.

Down South Yooper
    I'm running 2.25 schwalbe marathon extreme tires. Pretty big, within 1/2" of the front and rear crossbars I'd guess. Roll very well, no problems with flats over the 1000-1500 miles I've been running them. I did my yearly rebuild and noticed some cracking/unusual wear on the sidewalls. Dunno if it's the weight or what, but I'm kinda disappointed with it. I usually have at least 30lbs on the back (my son) and weekly grocery runs with 100 to 150lbs, but still. The tread on the rear is showing some wear, but the front is damned near new. Now I'm hoping just to get a full year out of them (got them August of '11).

Everything else about them is awesome, but I don't think they're going to hold up.

JP
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    running Hookworms on 65mm rims here too. I had custom wood fenders made (flat style) and have plenty of clearance. Another good option are the Big Apples from Schwalbe. Meaty, beaty, big and bouncy.

ONe less gear
    I rock the Fat Franks on my Dummy. They are Kevlar lined supposedly. I use pre-slimmed tubes for better puncture resistance.

Cars Are Evil
    Bugly, how do you like the Kickback? Do the wideloaders get in the way of flipping it down? I'm trying to decide between the Kickback and the Rolling Jackass.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by bugly64 View Post
    I rock the Fat Franks on my Dummy. They are Kevlar lined supposedly. I use pre-slimmed tubes for better puncture resistance.
    Pre-slimmed? Like with scissors or something?

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011
    I'd give some thought to a pair of Maxxis 2.4 Holy Rollers. Might give you a little more hook up than the hook worms in loose stuff.

I have not run them on my Dummy (yet), but I've done a lot of rallying around on and off road with them on a 26" singlespeed. Obviously there are compromises with anything, but I've found these to be a ton of fun both on and off road.

I've got quite a few loaded miles in on backcountry gravel with Schwalbe 2.35 Big Apples and they have proven to be more than adequate.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have ridden a lot of gravel, crusher fines, decomposed granite, hard dirt on very smooth tires with no issues at all, both on pedal bikes, and motorcycles. Knobs are only really needed in loose dirt/sand and mud. On pavement they can be rather squirmy, and soak up a fair amount of pedaling effort. It is pretty hard to beat Schwalbe big apples on a cargo bike.

ONe less gear
    Bugly, how do you like the Kickback? Do the wideloaders get in the way of flipping it down? I'm trying to decide between the Kickback and the Rolling Jackass.
    I am just really used to them. I just slide it my foot under there at a weird angle and viola. I can deal with the slight weirdness over the jackass price tag.

ONe less gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Pre-slimmed? Like with scissors or something?
    I spent a lot of time on line looking at how to put slime in 700c tubes because tube companies didn't sell them. They do sell the 26 inch tubes with the slime already in them.

Slime Tubes Review - a Review of the Slime Flat Resistant Tubes

NONDURO
    Ahh, slimed, not slimmed. I was confused at first.

Longleaf Bicycles
    Aug 2010
    Has anyone put calipers on their 2.5 hookworms to find the actual measurement? I'm curious because I have 2.35 Big Apples and there is less than 10mm between the front of the rear tire and the fender (SKS P65). Plenty of extra room on my fork. I'm wondering if I got shorted a little on my rear tire clearance. Isn't the BD advertised to fit 2.5's w/ fenders?
    Last edited by Anthony King; 08-22-2012 at 10:07 PM.
    Longleaf Bicycles: Handbuilt wheels. Dynohub lighting systems. Custom assembled bicycles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast