Thread: LED Night Glow

Beastrider

LED Night Glow

Here's "The Beast" showing off a little at night.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Very nice as always...

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    Very nice as always...
    Thanks!!!!!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    cool but those little batteries are a pain!

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by dhcheese View Post
    cool but those little batteries are a pain!
    I changed the little batteries out and they are wired directly to rechargeables now.....

Recreational Cyclist
    May 2012
    That's hella bright. How did you re-wire?

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by ibikeslow View Post
    Not too hard. Everything runs off of 6 nine volt batteries. But that's soon to change as well as I finally located a decent rechargeable that will power everything. Keep an eye open for updates!!!!!

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by ibikeslow View Post
    Here's the new battery that I installed. It's a 12 volt rechargeable that came as a battery back-up for my inhouse internet. When I went with a different carrier I called to company to come and pick their equipment up, After six months of waiting and calling them over and over I figured that they just didn't want it so I removed it myself.

The battery weighs in at about 3-4 pounds and I had to do minimal re-wiring. But now ALL of the LED's that I have operate off of one small toggle located on the handlebars. MUCH easier than the three switches I had before.

The only thing that I might change is the location. I am looking at relocating it to underneath the rear rack. For a couple of reasons. To lower the weight and to hide it just a little better so I can have the hauling space back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Very nice its awesome

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by fairfax View Post
    Very nice its awesome
    Thanks!!!!! Took some work but now that they all work off of one switch it's GREAT!!!!!

mtbr member
    Did you buy or build those lights? I've been looking for something similar, but I came to the conclusion I would have to make them myself.

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumper View Post
    Did you buy or build those lights? I've been looking for something similar, but I came to the conclusion I would have to make them myself.
    The lights themselves were purchased from an auto parts store. All of them have been cut down and rewired to work off of the one toggle switch. Most of the mounting brackets have been custom made to fit where I felt the lights needed to be. A bit on the tricky side and very time consuming. But the end result is well worth it.....

mtbr member
    Cool! Thanks for the info!

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumper View Post
    Cool! Thanks for the info!
    Try and get the ones that have a "test" button on the packaging. Much easier to rewire for bicycle use.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice work Harry but man the weight it don't take much and it will add up fast lol...But I have been think about the same thing here as you did on your bike.Let me know how it goes over time I just might do it my self...

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    Nice work Harry but man the weight it don't take much and it will add up fast lol...But I have been think about the same thing here as you did on your bike.Let me know how it goes over time I just might do it my self...
    I have mine set up pretty well now. Haven't done any changes for a while. The battery is the heavy item and I am still trying to work up a mounting bracket for underneath the rear rack. The zip ties I tried to use didn't hold up all that well. I'll figure something out though. But, for now anyway, it seems to work just fine.

One charge on that batter has lasted for numerous morning rides now......