mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Keeping a covered bakfiets warm in winter?

Any other bakfiets owners who have a cover for their box and have figured out a way to keep kids warm in the winter without overdressing them in snow pants and such? Looking for solutions for sub-freezing weather.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    don't have a bakfiets, but i threw a sheepskin into my chariot for my son to sit on (it curls up around his back and sides obviously), that and a blanket overtop kept him rosy cheeked down to whatever temp I cared to dare.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    No Bakfiets here but I'll hazard a guess anyway.

IIRC the ways heat is lost are conduction, convection, and radiation. Am I missing one?

Anyway, you presumably have convection negated by the cover but I bet conductivity might also be a big area of heat loss if your child is just sitting directly in the box.

I would be looking at foam sleeping pad modified to line the seating area and a down sleeping bag for a blanket.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hot water in a Nalgene or other stainless, non insulated bottle. Place hot water bottle inside wool sock and drop that in the foot area of the compartment. Vary quantity or temperature of water to last the duration you need.

I used two 24oz bottles to keep my daughter warm at 25*F with her winter coat/hat and a fleece blanket for 1.5hr in a Burley trailer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Hot water in a Nalgene or other stainless, non insulated bottle. Place hot water bottle inside wool sock and drop that in the foot area of the compartment. Vary quantity or temperature of water to last the duration you need.

I used two 24oz bottles to keep my daughter warm at 25*F with her winter coat/hat and a fleece blanket for 1.5hr in a Burley trailer.
    Water transfers heat way to quick, give this a try next time. Take a tube sock and fill it roughly 75% full with rice. Put in the microwave for 90 seconds. It stays warm for hours!