Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

... and if we just ... KDC1956 Big Dummy Build

I have these pics on a post but I wanted to have my on place to post the build of my very own Big Dummy.My BD is not done yet but with a little more time and a lot more money it will be.The wheels I have on it now will come off after I get it all built and get to ride it for a while I am looking for a heavy duty set of hubs to use on my BD.The rims and the tires will still be use but the hubs will be change when I get the money save up again.I have a lot of parts on order and they should be in by Oct 5 if all goes well.But even with all these parts it still will not be done lol.I will keep this up to date as parts goes on and will do a lot pics as I go places with my new ride it may be 2012 before it will all be done but it will be paid for.When you are retired you only get to spend a little money at a time or it is with me anyway.All of my drive train will be on it the next post I can't wait to ride it to the store to get food with it my wife thinks I am crazy for wanting a bike for this.At my age why not Hmmm I did not say I was OLD lol...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0047.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0048.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0049.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0050.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0051.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0052.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0053.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0054.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0055.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0056.jpg  

...a wiggle theres a way
    Nice beginning!
    those tires are serious and will grip awesome on the trail (but will roll pretty slow on the road)
    what made you decide to use the bar end shifters? i am debating on either using these or just rocking some road shifters so i can use the WTB drop bars

what drive train are you going to use? what hubs you going to use?
    joe

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    My drive train I have a 11-32 cassette and I will run a 24,34,46t chainring with a 68x122 BB.Why barend shifters well for me its the only way to go I have them on my Surly LHT and my Nashbar Touring bike I built up as well.Once you set it up you are good to go for a long time.I had a 11-34t cassette on my LHT but I did not like it as well as I do the 11-32 cassette.The FD and the RD will be Shimano SLX I put both of these on my other two bikes and just love them.The wheels I have on it now will work until I get my new Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs with Mavic XM719 Disc the cost of my new wheels want be as bad as I though it would be.But this can wait until some time in 2012 I hope to have my BD ready to ride this Xmas or sooner.My Handle bar is the Nitto B352 North Road Handlebar.I am going to put on white leather bar tape I have it on my two other bikes and they clean up real easy.I'm not sure what I am going to run on the back I may end up with go getter bags on it.Time will let me know what I want.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Definitely needs beefier tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Definitely needs beefier tires.
    Well this is my bicycle and if you don't like my tires then you can kiss my A$$
    I put what I want on it because its mine.I feel so much better now that I said that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    I put what I want on it because its mine.I feel so much better now that I said that.
    Sadly sarcasm is lost through the internet... regardless, nice start to your build!

Devo
    this build rocks!
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    Yeah, I meant that as sarcastic. I think the tires look awesome--for some reason, the straight tube new design, in black, looks really right with aggressive tires on it...IMO.

Devo
    the bike seriously kick a s s.
    In my never ending tyre'd obsession, I keep thinking of revisiting the world of Veloceraptors for the gazzillionth time.
    (diggin the paddle tyre)
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Cool!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Yeah, I meant that as sarcastic. I think the tires look awesome--for some reason, the straight tube new design, in black, looks really right with aggressive tires on it...IMO.
    My Apologies to all I let the internet get to me again.And this is for lawfarm as well.Why do I do the things I do???

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo View Post
    this build rocks!
    Thanks Devo

mtbr member

Inspired...

This thread inspired me to make the switch back to knobbies, planning on doing it, but this pushed me over the edge! Thanks!
    On a side note, how do you like the mustache bars? I feel like they would give you the "almost" perfect position. If there ever is a "perfect" position/setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    This thread inspired me to make the switch back to knobbies, planning on doing it, but this pushed me over the edge! Thanks!
    On a side note, how do you like the mustache bars? I feel like they would give you the "almost" perfect position. If there ever is a "perfect" position/setup.
    They do look a lot like mustache bars but these are the Nitto B352 North Road Handlebar.I saw another BD with them some place on the web and just had to get a set of them too.I hope to get to ride it some time in Oct.I have the other parts on order.It will let me ride it but it want have the Xtracycle stuff on it.That will have to wait until I get a new set of wheels built with Chris King hubs and Mavic XM719 disc 26" rims.Those will set me back a few bucks lol so I hope to have it all done some time in 2012.Retirement sucks some times but can also be a lot of fun.When I found these tires I had to get a set of them for 25.00 bucks each I could not pass them up with free shipping too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I order a Yuba side kick stand it should last a while I hope.Now I just need to order my XTR pedals and I can start to ride it.But it will not be done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I will be going on my little trip in the morning I should be back by Wed.I hope to leave by 9:30am.9/9/2011
    I will post pics of my trip when I get back.I am going on my Surly LHT this time my BD is not ready as of yet.I get look at a lot around here when I go on small trips on my LHT It is well loaded with a BoB as well.This may be my last trip on the LHT I can't wait until I get my Big Dummy done it's going to be a lot more fun to ride and all the things I can do with it

mtbr member
    Have a good trip !
    Hope the weather today is better for you than for me...
    You know the poor skills of french people for foreign languages so please be indulgent with me !

mtbr member
    Man, those hubs will be fine. I've noticed no real differences between Deore and XT hubs, and the Shimano hubs have even been more reliable than my Pro IIs.

Sweet looking build you've got going, BTW. Love the handlebar and shifters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

My week end trip pics

I know it's not my BD but this was on my LHT this weekend enjoy I did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0059.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0060.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0061.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0062.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0069.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0070.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0071.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0073.jpg  

KDC1956 Big Dummy Build-100_0076.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    More pics on the way I'm working on it again this weekend.I can start to ride it this weekend too but I still need the other parts to haul stuff with.I'm also thinking about getting a set of Go-Getter Bags for it they can hold so much and keep all you have dry.

mtbr member
    Well it sure does look like you are living the good life. I look forward to the build of the Big Dummy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well this weekend got all screw up for me lots of things went all wrong.First was they sent me the wrong BB then I found out that one of my chain ring was shot to hell and it was brand new but I got this from one of my LBS that has now went out of Bus. Then I found out my stem was way to short for me.And the last thing was I forgot my camera too lol I guess when it rains it pores.I did get a new stem and a new cable as well but I did get to test ride it I just could not shift to the med ring I had a 24t and a 46t but it does ride different form all my bicycles I have but I think I am going to love riding it.So when I got back home I have now re order a few parts for it I'm still will run with a 24,34t but now I am going to replace the 46t with a 44t.But I want be able to work on it until some time around Nov 27 the place I work on my BD is 200 miles away from where I live at this part sucks big time this is the main reason that it is taking so long to build.I hope ever one had a better weekend than I did lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Need a little help maybe.

I have look at the Yuba Go-Getter Bags a lot and I like them a lot but I also like the Freeloaders as well.The Go-Getter bags I think would hold a lot more and keep all the stuff you put in them dry.But you can also get dry bags for the Freeloaders as well.If you had to pick witch on do you think would work better and why.Thanks for any input on this matter.And yes my BD is almost done.About time huh...
    Last edited by kdc1956; 11-06-2011 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Big Dummy Up Date...

The last of the parts are now on order I went with the freeloader and the wideloaders to finish up my BD.The only thing I wont have is the two head lights on it.These will have to wait until I have save a while so I am very happy with my build so far.I will have new pics as soon as I can I think it looks pretty good.But it's getting a little cool to start off on a trip with my new setup but I will have a lot of fun with it until the weather gets a little warmer guess I am a wuss lol This bicycle has cost the heck out of me but I have had a lot of fun building it.It's Devo fault that all of us are building our very own BD.It's a very cool bike to have even better than my Surly LHT and I love that bike too.

Devo
    hopefully you will like your BD.

in the past, I've gone thru 2 bob trailers.
    the first one, was a rigid version, and it got used a lot! just about wore it out.
    then I ended up with the Ibex, used it some... and added a rear rack to it, along with panniers.

I sold both trailers, and kept the dry saks.

also had an XtraCycle convert job mated to a Cdale F900 MTB...

the BD is much better.
    why?
    no wiggle, and of course it can carry much more than a bob trailer.
    in short the BD is a much more complete operating platform
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast