mtbr member

Im New at this Cargo bike lifestyle

Its pretty sweet! Special thanks to www.Bikeworksabq.com for the awesome deal!

Sun Atlas

56lbs and a 400 pound load capacity for taking home chicks from the bar. Its whats called a cargo bike by some long tail by others. The rear rack is just a steel plank with a milkcrate for now. A company named xtracycle designed an open source rack that this bike and surly use so there are lots of upgrades you can get for it. I'm eye-ing the big side bags each side can hold 100 pounds of junk. Also I'm gonna get some running boards to hold more junk and give passengers a place to rest their feet.

Its a family bike, the kids love it. Its a little unsettling that they call it my "cool" bike.

photo 0331141859b.jpg

I went grocery shopping with it, but didn't get more then any one with a backpack could have carried. I still need to buy bags for it. but mostly its cool to turn a chore into something enjoyable for me and the kids.

photo 0331141809a.jpg

The rack has lots of spots for the various add-ons but perhaps the coolest is the quick release mount that lets you tow a bike or bob trailer

photo IMG_1092.jpg

Misc BS :

It has a 48 spoke 35mm rear wheel with a 14mm through axle Its fuking punk rock.

21 speed twist shift with a "mega range" cassette 34tooth old school

Its also got some bmx style handle bars

The ride is nice and smooth. Its a big Cadillac bike. Kid of a shame the steerer tube is so long ive got a fox36 160mm fork calling the new big bikes name

I want to know where to go next with the build stoker bars kids seats??

What mod next? I really want the freeloader bags but kids safety is more important. Im thinking stoker bars will be enough for my boy to keep from flying off. what the cheapest, but still effective, solution?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    What mod next? I really want the freeloader bags but kids safety is more important. Im thinking stoker bars will be enough for my boy to keep from flying off. what the cheapest, but still effective, solution?
    Standard stem/bar, and a 27.2 to 28.6 shim. I really suggest getting something set up before you start carrying your kids on the deck. And please get a helmet on that kid. Looks like you do have a helmet for him--use it. Your daughter, too. Sorry, man, that is pretty irresponsible.

mtbr member
    Yea it was just a cruise in front of the house to test the handling. They always got helmets when traveling more the 25' . Kids are sad since i put a hold on any more trips till the stoker bars are in place. I really like the bike. Didnt know how it would turn out but its way more practical then i thought it would be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    The rack has lots of spots for the various add-ons but perhaps the coolest is the quick release mount that lets you tow a bike or bob trailer

photo IMG_1092.jpg
    Nice. Do you have a more detailed picture on which can be seen, how the front fork is connected to the longtail bike? Is it some DIY work? Is the child bike attached only in one point (fork-axle) or also secured somehow?

I am thinking about towing my daughter's bike with her riding on it, but standard solutions like Trail Gator or FollowMe are not suitable for a longtail bike. So now on the busy roads she is sitting on my bike, with her bike attached to my Yuba and on the quieter roads she is riding alone.

mtbr member
    I would also recommend some wheel covers, either bags or skirt guards like the Yuba Mundo comes with. A toe, heel, or shoelace in a spinning wheel can ruin a ride. Cheers, looks like the kids like it.