PRETENDURO

Bonking ... not feelin' well I sold my Big Dummy

I feel as though a part of me is now missing. I sold my 2009 Surly Big Dummy a couple days ago. It was taking up too much space in my garage. I’d only ridden it 499.6 miles (yes, just under 500 miles), and the biggest ride I’d ever ridden on it was 56 miles, so the new owner got a nice clean bike (always garaged). Looks as though he’ll be riding it more than I was. I miss it already!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

AZ
    banned
    Whatcha gonna get to replace it?

mtbr member
    Lucky guy. I searched hi and low for my bike. I unfortunately did not get a Dummy but wanted one. It's tough out here in Hawaii absorbing the shipping cost. However, I lucked out in getting a TT at a great price so I guess that's what I was meant to have.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Whatcha gonna get to replace it?
    Umm… space to park my car in the garage, I suppose. I live in a townhouse governed by a homeowner’s association, and they have nothing better to do than find the teensiest bit of disorder (no matter how petty) and enforce it. They demand that one MUST park two cars in the garage, which must suck for someone who only owns one car.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    #div/0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Umm… space to park my car in the garage, I suppose. I live in a townhouse governed by a homeowner’s association, and they have nothing better to do than find the teensiest bit of disorder (no matter how petty) and enforce it. They demand that one MUST park two cars in the garage, which must suck for someone who only owns one car.

Haha what? Or no cars! What a weird place it sounds like!

mtbr member
    Damn - thats a shame. But if you weren't riding it, well, you'll be better off.

troll
    I made mine my daily bike... and now I have no idea what I would do without the convenience of all that carrying capacity. Even for small loads, like a bag or two of groceries, or a six pack, I just don't have to think about it, or fiddle with anything. Like a pickup truck, you just "toss it in the back" and go.

I'm sorry you had to part with your 'Dummy.

mtbr member
    My condolences. May you be at peace.
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

Need Sleep
    I sold mine too, been wanting it back for a while, gonna build up another one I guess because driving to the Grocery store in my van sucks.
    Go buy a Pizza

mtbr member
    Just got mine,
    It'll probably the one bike I'd keep if I only could have one of my 6 bikes...

And honestly, if I'd live in a place where they command me to park two cars in a garage, I'd just move somewhere else... Unbelievable...

off to ride my Dummy...

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I imagine this experience would be similar to PTSD. I wish you well and offer my condolences on your loss.

mtbr member
    There have been a few times when I've entertained selling my BD as I don't ride as much as I'd like. I live in a house, have plenty of space but keep it in the basement and bringing it in and out can be a pain. Yesterday we had a dusting of snow and some ice and rode the BD into work. It was perfect. I ride to work literally everyday. If getting the thing in and out of the basement wasn't such a pain I'd use it as my daily commuter. I think I might start making an effort to ride it to work more often.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ^Don't feel safe leaving it outside? I've lived in the same apartment building for 14 years. I've been bringing my bikes up and down the elevators in all kinds of weather. The building maintenance people make extra trips with a wet mop and or the vacumm cleaner to clean the mess I sometimes make on the way to and from by apartment. I talked to the building managers the other day of the possibility of me getting either a cargo bike or a trailer and parking it in the parkade. They offered me a spot next to the stairway/elevator where I could attach an anchor of some type to the concrete floor or wall to be able to chain the bike up. When I asked about the cost the reply was, "Nothing, you've lived here long enough that we can do this for you".

LP, you need to find a new neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    There have been a few times when I've entertained selling my BD as I don't ride as much as I'd like. I live in a house, have plenty of space but keep it in the basement and bringing it in and out can be a pain. Yesterday we had a dusting of snow and some ice and rode the BD into work. It was perfect. I ride to work literally everyday. If getting the thing in and out of the basement wasn't such a pain I'd use it as my daily commuter. I think I might start making an effort to ride it to work more often.
    Since building up the Big Dummy a few months ago, I haven't ridden it as much as I first thought I was going to. Regardless, when I do ride it, I am so glad I have it. Especially when my daughter's on the back. She has more fun than I do waving and hollering at people.