mtbr member

How would you change / improve Freeloader bags?

I'm diving into the cargo bike thing, and putting a FreeRadical on my trusty old Kona Hei Hei. Since Freeloader bags are basically unobtainable, I'm going to have a local guy make some bags for me.

Since I'm going custom, I can basically change or add anything I want. Are there any features you would add or change to the basic Freeloader design?

(For anyone concerned about copyright issues, neither I nor the bag maker have ever touched an actual Freeloader bag or even studied one up close, so we're not using the Freeloader as a "pattern"...we're starting with a pretty clean slate here)

I've seen this guy's work, and it's excellent, so I can be the guinea pig, and anyone here can order a set when they're done!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If I were to improve on the Freeloaders, I'd make them more container or box like. I wish there was a rectangular bottom panel. They do a good of holding cargo but when you carry stuff like groceries, you have to cinch them up tight and that can kind of smash soft goods.

Also, don't forget make sure your buckles are matched so that the straps are able to reach over large cargo - this is something that comes in very handy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: How would you change / improve Freeloader bags?

You can still get freeloaders on the xtracycle Canada site .

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    a nice flat bottom that folds up flat against the bike when you're not using it.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    LBS here has them in stock, I just picked up a set last week. Arriving By Bike, Eugene OR. The new Surly bags are reportedly not coming until "Fall".

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quick releases installed on the anchor straps (or quick release bolts) that attach on the bottom so that the bags could be rolled up when not in use. If you have nothing in them, they sorta just flap around while riding. Hmmm....I might just have to modify mine....

mtbr member
    I've never fondled the bags you are wondering about, but I do have a Bontrager bag that came with my Trek Transport...while it works, it is not optimal...If I had my druthers, I would combine most if it's design features with the bag that comes with BOB trailers...A rectangular shape with a flat, reenforced bottom that will fold-up when empty, compression straps that can loop around the bottom platform to help secure the bag, and a reenforced back to keep things from pushing through to the wheels...all made out of bonded/welded hypalon with a roll top to keep everything uber-dry...I would also add a shoulder strap for carrying the big honkin sob...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?