mtbr member

How much cargo tie downs & bags do you carry around? Per load or just in case?

I am new to the cargo bike scene, I just got my Trek Transport Monday, April 29th. I have made a dog food run(50lbs bag)and misc other hardware store stuff(maybe another 15lbs) and then a seperate grocery run of a week's worth of food/beverages for 4 people and my daycare crew of 4 kiddos.
    How much cargo tie downs & bags do you carry around? Per load or just in case?-image.jpg

I think for my first run, I did pretty good. It took me forever to strap it down and stuff but I figure that will come with time. The bike has the 2 side bags but I have grocery bags that I take into the store and load inside then just drop them in with gallons of milk forward and aft of each bag inside the big green bags on the bike and I also bought 2 6ft ratchet straps and 2 36" bungees for top cargo and the front rack.

Do I need anything else? Front cargo net? Basket? Misc other bags or straps? What do you guys and gals carry that you see gets used a lot for tying down or securing? Tips? Tricks?

Between my 2 grocery bags(they are huge!) and an extra bag(that held the watermelon that hung off the rear) and my straps and bungees and locks and mechanical emergency gear....I feel like I am overpacked but maybe I'm not?

BTW- I really like the 2 runs I did! Wow, it was so much fun and I really felt good about what I had chosen. Hubby is worried it won't get used enough to warrant garage space and the cost(bought used for $800 as you see in pic, not bad!) and that it would be hard to pedal. But it wasn't and the kiddo even rode with me after I got back, so then I pedaled him around for an hour after my haul!
    How much cargo tie downs & bags do you carry around? Per load or just in case?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I thiiiink you'll kinda learn what you need as you go, but I will say that I carry a bungee net, a thick adjustable bungee cord, and two rubber-coated twist ties that are like 2 feet long. And a small toolkit. And then my bag is starting to collect other stuff, haha. I'm riding it a lot since the spring hit after having bought it in the winter and barely using it (it's a father/son bike, mainly) and I laughed yesterday because I found a food wrapper and an old water bottle in there like how I might throw trash on the floor of my car
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aloha Naked,

I don't have a good answer for you as I'm new to the scene too. I bought my TT used here for $700 and have been very happy with it. I've commuted with it every day since I got it. Even towed the Klein (my old commuter) home one afternoon. Mine came with two bags and I have yet to fill them (like you have I believe). I do keep a number of bungees in the pocket of the bag. I also use the buckle of the bags to hold the fold down platforms in place when their folded up.

Anyway, once again, wish I had a good answer for you, just wanted to say admire what you are doing with your TT. Great job!

How much cargo tie downs & bags do you carry around? Per load or just in case?-trek_transport.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks Jared & gmats!

Another week and more learning! I guess that is the beauty of the cargo scene, you ride and learn and haul and modify?

I did all my errands this week(minus daycare kid pickups from school x 2 afternoons), so full grocery trip(I really outdid myself this go around....even the cashier was like "Oh, no way you are riding that much stuff home on ANY kind of bike!" And briefly I thought she might be right!!)
    Took my 5 yo to soccer and back twice(Sunday/Sunday 5 miles rolling hills each way).
    Volunteered at the city marathon, commuted 10 miles to & back home.
    3 evening rides hauling the kids to the park(5yo and 12 yo).

So I put a total of 65 miles on it this week. It rode awesome but I did the following changes:
    Locktite the footpegs in the brake bosses for my passenger so they can't come loose.

Replace 100lb rated zip ties holding up footpegs with wire hanger wire as he managed to snap one standing up when getting off....I stood on the fixed version....they ain't budging!

Made passenger wheel skirts for safety out of rubber doormats.

Rewrapped passenger cushion in tablecloth for ease of cleaning and looks nicer.

Reshimmed the stoker bars at both the seatpost and the stem clamp, those bars are damn useful for grabbing to move the bike, I needed them stronger than just for passenger stability.

Replaced stock tires with Fat Franks....OMG! The ride quality is outstanding! The second time I rode my son to soccer, I had been shouting out "bump!" to him before so he could brace himself. The second ride, he actually asked me "Mom, why you keep saying "bump!" when there isn't a bump?" Serious, night and day difference! Like butta! I did have to adjust the front fender up as far as it can go though so it wouldn't rub. Okay for pavement and water but I wouldn't wanna do mud/snow or else it would glog up quickly.

I also realized that bread and buns like to be in a backpack or top bag on the rack, the first ride all my bread looked like it lost a fight when left in my grocery bags inside the big green cargo bags. The second time, I put them in a cheap drop bag type backpack with strings you cinch(I run races, you usually get them at packet pickup) and wore it on my back. Bread fits in toaster much better! And buns look like buns!

The ratchet straps are genius! I use those all the time on the top rack. The bungees work well on the front rack IF what I have loaded has handles to loop them through. So I have a cargo net bungee coming for when I don't. Just for ease of use.

Locks: Nebraska is pretty good for lack of theft but more than anything, stupid kids like to mess with your stuff if it is easy. So I bought luggage locks for the zipper pulls on each bag, along with a lock for the top loop of each bag near where it clips the top pannier rail. Each bag is locked to the top pannier rail this way. Sure, if they want to rip open the bag or rip the loops off, they can still get it but it won't be as easy as if they were unsecured.

I also have a Kryptonite New York Noose 2.5ft chain/mini Ulock combo coming as honestly the Ulock and braided cable I have is cheap. I bought them when my most expensive bike was $350. Whelp, those days are long gone with my $800 Trek, my $1200 Salsa, and my $2700 Surly. Time to act serious at least for the main part of the bike & attaching it to a rack. I'll use my Ulock and cable as secondary locks now.

Hauling a second bike?! Nice! My youngest talked me into signing us up family wise for a 10 mile fun ride in June. We might haul his 16" Redline like you did so he can ride himself if he chooses. How did you secure it? Did it turn weird? Would training wheels be a hinderance when hauling? I wonder if his bike would just fit better ON the rack completely?

Geeze, what a novel! Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Once I get my new flat pedals, I'll post updated pics with the Fat Frank tires. They look pretty awesome on it but I noticed my wheel skirt pic was prior to tire swap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Fat Franks I assume are as nice as the Big Apples I am running- I spec's them on the build from prior experience with the tires- as your son noticed, they are smooooth, I can't imagine running a smaller tire on a cargo bike.

Regarding carrying a 16" bike, I suspect it may be easier to tow it with back wheel on the ground. My son's 12" bike fits on my deck behind his seat, but it is rather awkward. Then again, I don't have running boards, that might make it easier for a 12" or even 16" bike.

You got really busy there with the mods, very cool!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Yeah, fat franks and big apples use the same casing, just different tread patterns. It was hard to decide between the two but ultimately I went with the slightly more treaded one because the trail I take to buy groceries has 3 trail under the road tunnels by a waterway(sounds dangerous and scary, it isn't) that sometimes get covered with clayish mud for a few days during quick rain storms until the Parks & Rec crew blades them out. Tread is good
    The extra volume of the tire is awesome for cush, the stock tires are hard as a rock with little give. "Hardcase" is spot on for the name! Hard indeed! The bike also handles better with the bigger tires loaded.

Thanks for the tip on towing. I'll have to try a few setups and see how it handles. We have some time yet.

So does your son love the long tail as much as mine does? My youngest definately has the love of the pedal rides like his mama, but the cargo takes it to a whole other level....he just beams! I think he wants to ride it more than I do!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah my son loves it! I pick him up from preschool on my days off now on it and we go to lunch and the park then. He remembers riding on the iBert and misses that, I mean he loves riding his 12" but he digs the added range and "riding on the road" that we do on the "long bike".
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy