mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Hookworms on 27mm Salsa Gordos?

Howdy,

Have any of you ridden the stock Big Dummy wheels with Hookworms? (I think LP did briefly.) I understand that wider rims will provide more support, but am wondering if the Gordos will handle 2.5s well enough for street riding with moderate cargo loads.

Thanks!

PRETENDURO
    Yes, I did. Rode them around for around 100 miles or so on the Salsa el Gordos. They did just fine on the “skinny” Gordos, but I’m sort of a “fat fanatic” and have Surly Large Marge rims on four of my bikes (just built up a 24" bike for my 8 year old son with a 24"x2.5" Large Marge fat front setup with a 24"x3" Nokian Gazzaloddi ). Fat is where it’s at, you can run much lower tire pressures; I believe I am running my front Hookworm at around 25psi and the rear at around 30psi. Additionally the steering response is more responsive. No problems to report while hauling stuff—no incidents. Period.

But, you’ll be fine on the el Gordos running the pressures around 45psi, might wanna bump up the rear to 50psi for hauling BIG loads.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm using rhyno lite rims which I think are 22mm with 2.5" Hookworms.

They work great. I run about 25 psi up front and 35 in the back. Even carrying my wife and a bunch of other crap on the back, 35 is great!

50psi rides hard as a rock! I enjoy a little cushion and feel like it does very little to slow me down.