Church of the Wheel

Hitch-mount Rack for Cargo Bike?

Howdy, all. Anybody know of a trailer hitch mounted tray-style bike rack that will fit a Kona Ute or similar cargo bike? We have two Utes but just changed cars so need a new hitch mounted rack. The problem is the wheelbase of the bikes. Utes' wheelbase is around 50 inches, but all the tray style racks I can find have a max wheelbase of 48 inches. Haven't tried any yet to see if they'll work, but was hoping someone here may have already solved this riddle. If not tray based hitch rack, I will consider the bike-hanging style. If I have to. Thanks in advance for any help.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

Church of the Wheel

The answer, for posterity, or anyone in a similar quandary in the future, is the 1Up USA rack. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, I have a 1up rack, but have been hesitant to try my Yuba Mundo on it. 1Up says that their racks can accomodate wheelbases up to 52". Yuba says their bikes are 55 inches. I guess the Ute is shorter. I wonder if I let air out of the tires it's "shorten" the bike by 3 inches?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What about a Big Dummy? I believe it is a 58" wheelbase. I also know that at my age, I couldn't even begin to put it on a roof rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been wondering about a hitch rack for my BD too. If you find one, I'd love to hear about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    May I bump this up? I still am looking for something.

Church of the Wheel

As stated earlier, 1UP USA.

http://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilverdouble.html

Spendy, but very high quality, built to last, and the only thing I found with trays that will actually hold a cargo bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If I'm reading the ad correctly, it will handle up to a 52" wheelbase. As I also said before, I believe the BD has a 58" wheelbase. So I'm assuming that this rack won't work. That's why I asked again. In case there is something new out there.

Church of the Wheel
    Ah, I see. BD still might work as it has 26" hoops, vs my Ute's 29". We won't really know though until someone tries it. If anyone wants to give it a go in the East Bay area I will volunteer my rack. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

1up usa

Quote Originally Posted by mtb143 View Post
    Ah, I see. BD still might work as it has 26" hoops, vs my Ute's 29". We won't really know though until someone tries it. If anyone wants to give it a go in the East Bay area I will volunteer my rack. Cheers.
    The 1upUSA could work for the UTE, but wasnt an option for my Yuba Mundo because of the side loaders. I had emailed 1up USA and got some good feedback. They will work with you to make sure its right for you. If in doubt, send an email.

I still got their hitch mounted racks for the other bikes, but am resigned to using the Mundo as an around town bike only.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've also been wondering the same thing - I have a BD that doesn't fit on my existing roof rack nor could I imagine lifting it up there in the first place!

The only option I have found so far is this (no experience with it):
    TransIt Flatbed 2DLX 2-Bike Hitch Rack

It has a maximum wheelbase of 58" - would fit my 16" frame but I think the 22" frame has a wheelbase of 59"