mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Haaaave you met TAD?

TAD's my school project, a tadpole-style cargo tricycle. It's still under construction (yeah, there's no cargo platform yet), but wanted to share the first coherent photos I have of the project..

Drawn up in Solidworks from ideas on a sketchpad, then all manufactured by hand using lathe, milling machine, and water-jet cutter. 6061-T6 used throughout, both for tubing and barstock cut items. Powdercoating done at school too, hence the lack of colour options...

It's a tilt and steer independent design, rides just like a normal bike (for 25-30 degrees of lean and 50 degrees of turning, that is).

I should note it is designed for 20" front wheels which should be ready in the upcoming days, but I just had to try it out so used some spare MTB wheels. It uses cantilevered 20mm axles, so I'm custom building 20mm MTB hubs to BMX rims for it with some Marathons.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrkhGI9A-oo

Not done obviously (needs a few things taken care of... alpha prototype), but coming along nicely! Yeah it's mostly a novelty project, but I think it has its place too...

Whatcha guys think?
    Last edited by LostBoyScout; 05-11-2011 at 08:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Badass! Looking forward to seeing a completed pic.

Just Ride!
    Nice! Reminds me of a Can-Am Spyder in pedal format.

mtbr member
    Wow, that looks cool. Is there some sort of linkage that connects the lean of the bike to the angle of the handlebars? I'm interested to see how it looks with the cargo rack mounted.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Looks amazing, but with that lean how much cargo can you fit up the front?

Very interested in the project, please keep us updated!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    This is an application where I think you should strongly consider hydraulic brakes for the front...even if it means more complication and weight (perhaps adapt a motorcycle or moped brake cylinder?) If you use cable brakes on the front, you'll constantly be adjusting the brakes, chasing brake pull.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    BTW, looks snawesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hydraulic would be good, I could just use a T then. Gonna try cable discs with a balancing bar first, because I got the brakes for near-free. Still haven't put the front brakes on but couldn't resist a ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrkhGI9A-oo

I will admit - it isn't a very great cargo bike. The platform will have to be high enough to clear the front wheels when they turn and lean (keep in mind though that it will be on 20" wheels at that point), so getting the load low is not something it will excel at. The platform WILL however be 24" wide by 16" deep, so it will hold a decent amount of stuff anyway.

NONDURO
    Wow, thatís pretty kickass!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I discovered Onya's design when partway through this project, and used it as inspiration - I am still not totally sure how theirs rides, as it does not use the pure 'parallelogram' linkage mine does. Wish I could try one! It is beautiful though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Decided to make a trailer with some spare tubing - going to use the wheels and axles from the bike above, and tow it with my Salsa Vaya

Also, the 'real' wheels for this project bike (and the trailer) have come in:

Last edited by LostBoyScout; 05-14-2011 at 11:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Here's a shot of the bike more or less complete: small wheels on, first proto platform, and brakes hooked up and working

Yeah, it's more novelty than anything else, but it's fun!

mtbr member
    That is amazing! Nicely done!

mtbr member
    That does look pretty cool. If you spread the front wheels apart, and lowered/lengthened the platform it could have an application. Maybe in Rev. 2?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yep, short sight in the steerer components meant I needed to run those pivoting arms backwards to what I intended, so lost 3.5" of wheelbase there. A 2nd prototype would definitely have a longer wheelbase by at least 6"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Contact the folks at Zigo and sell them your design. Seriously, if their kid carrier had wheels that articulated like yours it would be great. Unfortunately their design currently is awful to ride.