mtbr member
    May 2010

H-rack dimensions & xtracycle parts

Hi from Slovenia, soon no longer land without dummies

waiting for my Big Dummy frameset (last of 2010 edition) I am preparing for build. Since xtracycle parts are hard to get in Europe (not to mention they are over-over-priced) I will try to get some parts locally. I am meeting local Alu welder today to see what he can do...

Hope somebody can help me with those:

1. I found V-rack dimensions on xtracycle page. Is this part welded from different parts or just bent?

2. I couldn't find H-rack drawings, only one dimension (732mm length). Can somebody just give me approx. dimensions in horizontal plane - how far H-rack is extended from the frame? Also, do you find current size big enough? Too big? Any hint is welcomed

3. FreeLoader bags. Xtracycle price = 100 bucks, here is around 200! I live in an area of tent makers so will try to use local resources And hints what is missing with xtracycle product?

4. Chain length: are two regular chains are long enough?

Thanks in advance!
    Primoz

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    1. 22mm aluminium tube. bent.

i intend to make a tool box specific H-rack better suited to my application. 22mm tube is easy to get and cheap, and i have a set of hand benders!

2. Approx 150mm potrudes at the rear, approx 200mm at the front.

i can check though. although the only real critical dimension is the centre to centre or length.

3. the older version of the free loader is pretty flimsy. they seem to have a new version for 2010. i live in an area that has a lot of sailmakers, so i will replace with a custom pair of bags made out of sail canvas. i may get a magic carpet type thing made up at the same time. much much tougher and 100% water/rot proof.

4. i used my existing chain and about 1/2 another one that i found under the bench of the local bike shop.

hope this helos....

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    yup 7/8" tube. you could bend it if you want or chop and weld, whatever your builder feels more comfortable with.

For the H rack I just made mine with a couple dowels, a piece of plywood and some 2x2 to strengthen the edges. I am not sure how big the factory ones are but mine sticks out about one foot (30cm) which works quite well .

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ericpulvermacher
    yup 7/8" tube. you could bend it if you want or chop and weld, whatever your builder feels more comfortable with.

For the H rack I just made mine with a couple dowels, a piece of plywood and some 2x2 to strengthen the edges. I am not sure how big the factory ones are but mine sticks out about one foot (30cm) which works quite well .
    Thanks guys for info ... I already have v rack + old xtracycle bag.
    I will try DIY for h racks - hopefully will update you with pics soon.