Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Got my 2012 Kona Ute

It's been a long week waiting for her to arrive. It must've been a demo model cause the box was taped up. Well maybe not. The front fender never been installed and the tires look brand new. Theres a couple marks on the rear wood deck and the top head set cap has a little scratch, noting I can't live with. Man these bags are nice but they are heavy, I say they weigh about five pounds each. I'll get some pictures and videos posted soon. Man I love this thing.
    Curt

mtbr member

Cool Brah!!!!!! Rock on!!!

We have a bunch of utes at work, I like to imagine them with big 29er tires on them. I have not seen one all mountained out yet. I dont know what the weather is like where you live but I would ditcht the fenders, I think they are junky. But I live in the desert so you know...
    Lets see some pictures of that thing hauling some cargo!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I did my first 20 miler on her today. I kind've like the fenders myself. I may try some 29er tires on her next spring. I'm in Ohio and winter is coming on fast here. I did a little video of it today, I'll get it uploaded to YouTube tomorrow, have to get ready for my 12 hour shift at work. Hey does anyone know if a chain ring will work in place of the cash guard, or will the chain rub on the kick stand when it's up.
    Curt

mtbr member
    Okay, Had time to upload a video to YouTube before work. I need one more post first.
    Curt

mtbr member
    One more.
    Curt

mtbr member
    Here's the video.

My 2012 Kona Ute - YouTube
    Curt

mtbr member
    Anyone know if a 3rd chain ring would work on a Kone Ute.
    Curt

observer
    Dec 2007
    I have a 2009 and it will take a 48 tooth, 4 bolt ring (104mm) I believe. I'd guess yours will too. Is your front shifter a 3 speed shifter?
    2007 Diamondback Mission 3
    www.dirtcartel.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnb0y View Post
    I have a 2009 and it will take a 48 tooth, 4 bolt ring (104mm) I believe. I'd guess yours will too. Is your front shifter a 3 speed shifter?
    Yes my front shifter is 3 speed. I have an older 44 tooth bontrager ring gear and it almost looks like the chain will rub on the kick stand when it's in the up position when I test fitted it. Which 48 tooth ring gear did you use. Thanks for the quick response.
    Curt

observer
    Dec 2007
    I don't have a big ring on mine yet, I was going to order one soon. I looked up my crankset and that is the ring that will fit on it. I didn't think about the center stand rubbing against the chain though. Thats unfortunate, the center stand is really handy.
    2007 Diamondback Mission 3
    www.dirtcartel.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Enjoy your Ute. I (we) love ours. Not had as much use of late, eldest son has broken arm, but as soon as the cast is off we'll be commuting on the Ute again.

mtbr member
    If anyone is wondering where I got my Kona Ute on the net, here you go. Yes they are brand spanking new too.

Kona Ute SimpliCITY Bike 2012
    Curt

mtbr member
    Can somebody please tell me how to make an 1 1/8 inch stem work on my seat post tube. I'm trying to make an old mountain bike stem and handlebar work to give my grandkids rides on my Kona Ute. I tried wrapping the seat post with electric tape but the stem still can be twisted from side to side.
    Curt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB29erCurt View Post
    Can somebody please tell me how to make an 1 1/8 inch stem work on my seat post tube. I'm trying to make an old mountain bike stem and handlebar work to give my grandkids rides on my Kona Ute. I tried wrapping the seat post with electric tape but the stem still can be twisted from side to side.
    Try a tandem specific stem. They come in different sizes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger View Post
    Try a tandem specific stem. They come in different sizes
    Thanks, I may see if I can use a piece of old intertube to shim it out, I just need a hair or two thickness.
    Curt

mtbr member
    Anyone ever try Schwalbe Big Apple 29X 2.35 tires on their Kona Ute.
    Curt

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi Curt,

Checked out your vid, well done and congrats. RE the seat post shim, do a Google search using "seatpost shim" you'll get quite a few hits. I've shimmed mine to take a 27.2 post and it works a charm.

Enjoy.
    Al
    Last edited by alanm; 10-29-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm View Post
    Hi Curt,

Checked out your vid, well done and congrats. RE the seat post shim, do a Google search using "seatpost shim" you'll get quite a few hits. I've shimmed mine to take a 27.2 post and it works a charm.

Enjoy.
    Al
    I think you miss understood what I ment. My seat post is already a 27.2. I ordered a 27.2 to 28.6 seat post shim to be able to mount a stem and handlebar to my seat post so I can give my grandkids rides on my Ute. i'll do another video once I get it all set up.
    Curt

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Gottcha, my bad, glad you got it sorted.

Al

Disabled Vet
    LOVING the UTE,congradulations on the new score,my friend Those bags look nice (I dig the copper color this year too) and roomy. Bet yer having a blast so far,eh?
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker View Post
    LOVING the UTE,congradulations on the new score,my friend Those bags look nice (I dig the copper color this year too) and roomy. Bet yer having a blast so far,eh?
    Sure am, love riding it too. Thanks
    Curt

mtbr member
    I was reading about your seat tube situation, are you using a threadless handlebar neck to mount under your rear seat post? That's one thing I could think to use to mount some handlebars so the grandkids could hold onto. Something like this:

Edit: you might already have this , my mistake

But as for the crank situation, if you replace your bash guard with a larger chainring, I probably wouldn't go any higher than a 46t, or maybe invest in a triple crankset made by the same manufacturer (FSA)

mtbr member
    Yes thats what I'm using. Thats called a handlebar stem. I ordered a 27.2 to 28.6 seat post spacer so I can mount my 1 1/8 stem to my seat post.

Also I'm just gonna keep my crank as a double ring for now.
    Curt

mtbr member
    Anyone know which mirror works best on the handlebar of the Kona Ute.
    Curt

mtbr member
    I did another video of how I mounted my handlebar and stem to my seat post on YouTube. Please excuse all the shaking, and the messy garage.

My 2012 Kona Ute Part 2 - YouTube
    Curt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast