mtbr member

Getting a Dummy...FINALLY! Should I go wood stuff or industrial look?

After having a Trek Transport for 9 mos, I sold it and decided to get a BD. Always wanted one but wasn't sure if it would fit into our family life. Kids getting older. I work from home. Do I really need a cargo bike?
    Well, yes, we used it quite a bit. I am not an aluminum rider, so that is why the sell TT & buy BD.

I always liked the look of the wooden decks & running boards on the older swoop models but on the newer ones, especially the gray 2014 I'll be getting, I'm not so sure. It looks very industrial and I think maybe the brown wooden stuff would just look oddly out of place. Plus, the running boards have a 2 week wait.

So I am thinking stoker bar, xtracycle half pad(for passenger, mainly my 6yo) for sure. But then do I get the wooden Snapdeck & matching running boards and go retro cool or get the hooptie bars(called U Tubes bought alone) and use those as running boards and leave the rear deck raw except for the half pad and go urban industrial?

And is the kickback stand good enough for loading and having my son safety sit on the back while engaged? My TT centerstand was wholly unreliable in that area, any weight and over it goes! And recommendations on fenders? I want fenders on it right away. The TT did have fenders and they are worth their weight in gold!

Other than that, the build is stock 2014. Size small/16.

Thanks gents! Should be putting a down payment for order by next Friday(Happy Valentines Day to me!)
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I can chime in on the fenders and the kickstand:

I have SKS fenders over 2.3" Big Apples on my BD, and while they work fine, I recently put a set of Planet Bike fenders on my Ogre, and I felt they were wayyyyy easier to put on. Similar quality once installed though.

The Xtracycle kickstand has worked well for me so far, loading my 4 year old on and off, but I am not sure about a 6 year old if he hops on and off by himself. It would be fine I think as long as you held the bike so it doesn't shake or tip when your 6 y.o. gets on or off.

My friend bought a Rolling Jackass for his wife for her Trek and it seems to be slightly stiffer than the Xtracycle. I think much of the cost is for the mechanism to deploy it. I'm happy with my Xtracycle center stand.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input, XJaredX! Yeah, the RJ stand is twice the price and while I'm sure it is the cat's pajamas, I just can't swing that extra. Not with adding the stoker stuff I need to.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Congratulations on your Dummy! I predict you will like it very much. Mine is mostly stock so I don't have any advice on the running boards or a kickstand. On the fenders, I got a set of Bontragers for a 26 inch wheel and they have been fine. If I were to do it over again, I'd probably look at the metal fenders from VeloORANGE velo-orange.com Those would look sweet. To bad they don't have the hammered metal style for a 26" wheel; that would look epic on a BD.

Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I didn't want to shell out $$ for the Xtracycle or RJ stand, so just went with a $8 Greenfield single. It's worked very well so far. I usually have my 4 year old with me and when it's time to get off, I just reach back and lift her off while on the bike, or she just slides off. With running boards, that would be even easier. Personally, I think the center stands aren't worth it, unless you're hauling some serious cargo and need a strong stand to perch the bike on. I know a few others that even forego the stand all together and just lay the bike down on the running boards.

While I love my BD and will be keeping it for a long time, when it comes time for my wife to get a cargo bike, I'll be getting a Bakfiet with a cargo box up front. Twice the money, but worth it in my opinion.

And I agree on the Planet Bike fenders. Easy to use and not that expensive.

mtbr member
    Ordered! Went with wood as I knew that was what I always wanted on my BD and anything less would disappoint. Sprung for the kickback stand also. Black SKS fenders. I went with red pedals & cages and a $0.00 9/10 sticker to continue the red from the wooden xtracycle accessories.
    Everything is supposed to be here weds & get built up Thursday. I should say everything but the running boards(2 weeks out). I'll post up pics once it all gets here & purdy!
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    So here she is, fully built up with red accents. Turned out pretty sweet! I won't usually have the sidecar on except for heavy loads. But it is pretty cool!

Getting a Dummy...FINALLY! Should I go wood stuff or industrial look?-image.jpg

2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The first time your kid trys to climb onto the back of the BD by him/herself without you supporting the bike you will realize why you need a RJ.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by knibby View Post
    The first time your kid trys to climb onto the back of the BD by him/herself without you supporting the bike you will realize why you need a RJ.
    That's why I got mine... and I've never regretted it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    So here she is, fully built up with red accents. Turned out pretty sweet! I won't usually have the sidecar on except for heavy loads. But it is pretty cool!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	871120

Views:	158 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	871121

Views:	126 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	871122
    Holy cow! Never seen a sidecar before. Looks amazing. How's riding with it? Did you make it yourself? Is it an Xtracycle product? Have I been that far out of the loop?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Google was, again, my friend....

I purposely try not to look at bike stuff like I did in the past because it hurts the wallet too much. Yikes. So much changes in so little time. Xtracycle has done some serious designing work. Good for them (bad for my wallet....)