mtbr member
    Aug 2005

FreeRadical on this free bike?

A friend recently gave me this neglected old Shogun. I already have a SS cruiser, grocery getters, etc.

I'm thinking of throwing a FreeRadical on this thing. Thoughts? Might it be too flimsy? It's a 1980s Shogun "Easy Street" hybrid with Tange 950 tubing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FreeRadical on this free bike?-img_0211s.jpg  

Down South Yooper
    I don't think it's a great idea, for a couple reasons. I think you'll destroy the frame in short order, and even if it does hold together, you'll probably find the brakes to be lacking if you can load it up.

On the other hand, if you buy into an extracycle kit, you'll have it even if you destroy your first conversion frame, so you can just throw it on the next free/cheap bike and keep going..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Why do you think I'll destroy the frame?

You say that I'll find the brakes lacking, but you don't know how lacking the brakes are on the bikes I already ride

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It does seem a little weird to put a $400+ Freeradical on a $40 bike...
    But hey, I've seen dumber things.

Down South Yooper
    Mostly, I'd be worried about the leverage and additional weight than an xtracycle would allow you to put on a frame like that. Seems pretty light duty, as opposed to something like an instigator or 1x1. I don't know specifically if the xtracycle conversion does something to 'reinforce' the rear end of the converted bike, but even if it does, do you think the shogun frame would be up to the carrying capacity of the xtracycle kit?

If it were me, I'd get a rack and some gorcery baskets or panniers and ride it as is. It'll remove the temptation to haul firewood or couches home..

As to the brakes, just make sure to leave plenty of stopping distance. Are the rim sidewalls chromed? If so, scuff them up with an SOS pad or something to give a little bite.

It is a free bike, so if it breaks, you're not out anything but what you put into it, and you can always move the xtracycle conversion to the next frame, so if it's in your wheelhouse, so to speak, then go for it. If you do, post up and I'll take the under on frame life tho.

As an aside, you'd have to do something different for the rear brake, the xtracycles will do cantilevers or discs, but not a road-style caliper. Also, if that's a 27" wheel (as opposed to a 700c) then you might have fitment issues, the kits will do 26 or 700c, not sure where a 27" wheel fits in to the equation. Plus, to really make use of the xtracycle kit, you'll want some bigger tires, otherwise you'll have to run the stockers at 90 psi to keep them off the rim..

Quote Originally Posted by Undies
    Why do you think I'll destroy the frame?

You say that I'll find the brakes lacking, but you don't know how lacking the brakes are on the bikes I already ride
    Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    i agree with the brakes not being up to snuff. the frame will certainly be strong enough if there is no rust or cracks.

the problem i see is the fork has a lot of rake and might be a potential place to break at the crown. not a good place to snap as you will have a colorful crash, mostly blood colored....

i have done a lot with older bikes and never had a problem with them not being strong enough. remember steel will flex, but it has its limitations
    so my afro now sticks out of my helmet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It looks like an eighties era Shogun. I've owned a couple and they are a typical Japanese built product, i.e. very well made. I don't think you would have any problem. I'm pretty sure that the Freeradical kit has canti-posts or a disc mount, so you've really got no problem with brakes. The front might be lacking somewhat, but I don't think it would be a problem unless you're bombing Seattle hills. Gearing might be a bit steep when you're fully loaded, but that's an easy fix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the thoughts...

This bike has 26" wheels. The existing rims are aluminum but I'd probably replace them if I go the cargo bike route.

Yep, Shogun was a purveyor of 1980s Japanese steel. Here's another Shogun I picked up for $5 at a garage sale and converted to a single-speed town bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FreeRadical on this free bike?-shogun_03.jpg  

FreeRadical on this free bike?-shogun_04.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

FreeRadical on this free bike

Sorry for not replying before now. I had promised the bike to someone, but it took us a while to figure out how to get it from Point A TN to Point B GA.

Anyway, its finally found a good home.

Karin
    www.easonblog.com
    - DK or Lich, I prefer MKer