mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Which fork would you use for an Xtracycle build?

Which fork would you use to replace the suspension fork on a Specialized Hardrock that has been built up as an Xtracycle?

Surly Big Dummy Fork > Components > Forks > Rigid Forks | Jenson USA

Surly 1X1 26" 100mm Fork > Components > Forks > Rigid Forks | Jenson USA

Surly 1X1 Fork > Components > Forks > Rigid Forks | Jenson USA

The 1X1 100 MM fork seems like the right choice, if I am reading it correctly it is suspension corrected for bikes with a 100 MM fork. Are there any other rigid forks that I should be considering? It needs to be disc compatible since I am running discs on the bike.

edit: the Troll fork has eyelets for a front rack in case I decide I want to mount front panniers and tour on this thing. That might be the best choice.

Troll Fork | Parts | Surly Bikes

Down South Yooper
    My dummy fork has mid-blade eyelets as well as dropout eyelets, and an upper set as well. If it's the right length, I'd do the dummy fork.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

wants a taco
    I would run the instigator fork since it is the only fork Surly makes that is tandem rated. The Xtracycle puts quite a bit more stress on the fork, you can see it even on my troll fork when braking hard. It is enough that I do the majority of my braking with the rear.
    Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    I'd go with the either the Big Dummy fork, or the Troll fork. The Troll fork is basically identical to the 1x1 fork in specs, but offer additional braze-ons, which is always useful on a cargo bike. Disc + V is nice for versatility, although I imagine you are using discs.

The ideal fork would of course be the Big Dummy fork. It's clearly strong enough for the job, and offers a lot of braze-ons for racks etc. However, it is a couple centimeters shorter, which will steepen up your head angle, assuming your frame is based on a 100mm fork. Not the end of the world, but not ideal.

You could also use a Pugsley fork. It's about the same length, but would give you a ton of tire clearance. You could even get the wide front hub version, if you wanted to get fancy.

tl;dr - just get the troll fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i do not know

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    neither do i

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'll throw an opinion in. Dummy fork with a 29" wheel. I have heard that it feels real nice.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    This is the reason I avoid posh eateries. At Denny's there is only one fork and you don't have to worry about it. But seriously, go for strong. Moving the rear wheel back transfers a lot of weight to the front wheel... The opposite of a stingray wheelie bike.

wants a taco
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby_kevbo View Post
    This is the reason I avoid posh eateries. At Denny's there is only one fork and you don't have to worry about it. But seriously, go for strong. Moving the rear wheel back transfers a lot of weight to the front wheel... The opposite of a stingray wheelie bike.
    Exactly, you can see the troll fork chatter pretty bad when you use the front brakes somewhat hard. The dummy fork is not even tandem rated and carrying a full load is very similar to what a tandem will see which is why I think the instigator fork would be perfect.
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Exactly, you can see the troll fork chatter pretty bad when you use the front brakes somewhat hard. The dummy fork is not even tandem rated and carrying a full load is very similar to what a tandem will see which is why I think the instigator fork would be perfect.
    But the Dummy fork is exactly what Surly designed for this purpose. The weight rating of the big dummy is rider + 200lbs of cargo. That's comparable if not more than what most tandems have on them. I don't think Surly takes things like 'tandem ratings' very seriously.

The Troll is designed as a loaded touring adventure bike. It can take it.

Steel forks are supposed to flex. That's why people like them. I wouldn't worry about your Troll fork, or any other Surly fork, flexing. If anything, the Surly forks are overbuilt compared to other manufacturers. I've never heard of one breaking (although I'm sure it's happened, but it's not an 'issue'). I'm sure the Surly forks are stronger than the forks spec'd on the Xtracycle Radish, again designed for this kind of use. In the whole package, I bet the fork is one area that almost never fails.

I've had Kona and Surly steel forks + others, MTB and road. I weigh 225lbs, and I certainly don't baby my bikes. They all flex visibly under braking force, but it's never cause me any problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards the Troll fork right now. I think I'm going to email Surly and ask them. My suspension fork is 100mm and the Troll fork is corrected for that. I'm not sure I want to steepen up the head tube angle anymore since this is a cargo bike.

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by dm1333 View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards the Troll fork right now. I think I'm going to email Surly and ask them. My suspension fork is 100mm and the Troll fork is corrected for that. I'm not sure I want to steepen up the head tube angle anymore since this is a cargo bike.
    Blythe time you add the extra wheelbase of the conversion, the change in fork length will have less effect on HT angle. A little longer wouldn't hurt anything IMHO. What length is the fork on the bike now?

I use a dirt jump fork on my tandem, no issues there. DMR trail blade. When I asked surly about tandem usage, they would only vouch for the instigator fork, not any others (including the dummy fork).

I'd say you'd be fine with either the dummy or the instigator fork, and likely any of the other forks, although you might notice them flexing more than you would the two heavyweights.

Plum

Edit, I think the instigator fork is corrected for 100mm as well. If so, I'd choose that over the ogre fork for the added stoutness it'd bring.
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

wants a taco
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky View Post
    But the Dummy fork is exactly what Surly designed for this purpose. The weight rating of the big dummy is rider + 200lbs of cargo. That's comparable if not more than what most tandems have on them. I don't think Surly takes things like 'tandem ratings' very seriously.

The Troll is designed as a loaded touring adventure bike. It can take it.

Steel forks are supposed to flex. That's why people like them. I wouldn't worry about your Troll fork, or any other Surly fork, flexing. If anything, the Surly forks are overbuilt compared to other manufacturers. I've never heard of one breaking (although I'm sure it's happened, but it's not an 'issue'). I'm sure the Surly forks are stronger than the forks spec'd on the Xtracycle Radish, again designed for this kind of use. In the whole package, I bet the fork is one area that almost never fails.

I've had Kona and Surly steel forks + others, MTB and road. I weigh 225lbs, and I certainly don't baby my bikes. They all flex visibly under braking force, but it's never cause me any problems.
    I am not really worried about breakage but more confident braking when loaded would not be a bad thing which is why I suggest the instigator. The chatter is much more than you would normally expect from a steel fork when you have it on an Xtracycle, I know part of the flex is what makes the ride a little smoother. Surly probably found some middle ground between a tandem fork and a regular for with the big dummy fork with the assumption that most people will not ride their bikes heavily loaded all the time. Tandems see that weight at all times.
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    FWIW, I used to have a Salsa 26" fork. It's not a bad fork, but it flexed too much for my likings on the Xtracycle (disc brakes and two kids on the back).

Switched to the Big Dummy fork and haven't looked back.