mtbr member

Fender question...

I recently bought a set of fenders off of the local craigslist, and due to my front fork being suspension corrected, I cannot get the fender to mount the fork, too much space to make up. Is there a part you can buy to drop down the fender from the crown of the fork, or is this a DIY job?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    DIY would be quicker and cheaper. You need piece of aluminum to drill some holes in, or premade bracket straightened with a hammer (IMO)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I used the pretty common place Planet Bike Cascadia 29er fenders on my BD, I had some brackets left over from one of my OMM sherpas that i didn't need. .So I cut one of those brackets down, and used it to extend the front fender fork crown mount down to get the fender much closer to the tire. Worked out pretty well. pretty much any piece of aluminum
    flat stock would work.

Down South Yooper
    I'm just running my fender tight to the fork crown. There's extra room, but not much makes it past the fender. More solid mounting as well.

Running planet bike cascadia 29ers as well.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm using the Planet Bike Cascadia IIs (not the 29er version, just the normal 26" one from mec). The hardware that came with them mounted them fine, although like you a little high off the tire, but not more than 1", probably less. My tires are Schwalbe Super Moto 2.35" and so far the fenders have done their job just fine!

Unless you have substantially thinner tires than I, you may be fine to just mount them.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses all. Went the DIY route, to only not like the way it turned out, and switched back to knobbies for the fall/winter months. Switching things up never gets old!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I bought a Nashbar front rack and mounted the fender to the rack.

There are two screw holes on top of the rack to mount the bracket to that attaches to the fork crown. I drilled through the fender (Planet Bike ATB full coverage fenders) at those two holes and bolted the fender and the bracket to the rack. It worked perfectly.