Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

EVO Handlebar Basket

12K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JAGI410 
#1 ·
you want this

#4 ·
I can't imagine how this could possibly be an upgrade over a properly mounted multi-point attached basket. When I look at this product, I just keep thinking of the anger and anguish I felt about my canti-era brake/shifter combo levers when V-brakes came out. Combining the bars and basket, in this case at least, sacrifices a lot of function and flexibility for a small gain in form or aesthetics. Bad trade, IMHO.

#8 · (Edited)
JAG410 said:
Bar spins with a basket would be phat yo. ;)
:D

I found some pictures from searching, and it looks pretty beefy, if you had a four bolt stem, that'd be a very solid part to connect to, sometimes bearing most of my body weight. Check it out on this Rocky Mountain (credit to whoever owns this pic, I just found it on google):

It looks like a jeep, ready for a safari. I wonder if it could handle my husky attached to that front loop, for bikejoring - it would solve the problem of ever having the lead get wrapped up in the front tire. From the pics, it looks like it could. All those tubes to attach things to, like a headlight down low, or lock your front tire through.

I like the fact that it will be adorned with my brake levers and grips, it's integrated, after all. Which makes it seem like maybe it would be less likely to be unbolted and walked away with. Or easier, if they just take the stem off...

I've found many racks to be "flimsy" when mounted - and I think this is a better alternative to using those dreadful "P-Clips". I ordered one, I'll let you know how it works out.

Here's the Origin 8 Cargo Unit:

Then there's the Copenhagen bike parts version, (I think the originators) and it's over twice the price, and it looks more "chic" or "fragile" to me.

This looks like a burlier version of the Copenhagen Bike Porteur

My bikes don't have all the braze-ons and eyelets, and I run disc brakes and the rack choices are slim to none, so this is a brilliant solution for my situation. Those tubes look pretty beefy, and the price is really cheap, if you were going to need to buy handlebars. Very comparable to a conventional rack/basket.

I also don't know where to get any bicycle basket that looks like it could take on the zombie apocalypse. Mad max, hardcore. It's the other side of the "chic" Porteur thing.

It will work with suspension forks. As long as you don't bottom the basket into your tire, maybe have to compensate with a higher rise stem, I don't know, but it's worth a look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.