Candlestick Maker

The Electric Pig

I've had a Mundo for a while now, mostly using it for toting the kids back and forth to the bus stop, as well as some tool carrying duties for trail work.

Getting back to my house from anywhere involves a big climb up a dirt road. As my two kids have gotten bigger, the climb has gotten ridiculous. I can still make it, but so slowly that staying upright becomes an issue.

So, I decided to electrify my Mundo. I put on a 350W front wheel disc motor kit from bmsbattery.com. Instead of going the normal Li Ion or Lifepo4 route, I decided to go with two 5s 5000mah lipo batteries wired in series for 36v and 5ah. Superlight. The whole kits adds about 6.7lbs.

Range is only about 10 miles, but that is sufficient for kid trips and messing around. I may throw on another couple lipos to increase range enough to do my commute at some point, but right now I'm just learning and having some fun.

The batteries and controller are stuffed in the small bag on the front rack in the pic below. I've since mounted the tiny controller outside of the bag on the front rack to increase airflow and cooling.

The kit can be removed within a few minutes, returning the Mundo back to pure pedal power.

Oh yeah, after having suffered up the hill so many times, riding up with the electric power just makes me laugh. Fun stuff!

Emundo1

MundoTrailWork
    Last edited by baker; 12-04-2010 at 07:04 PM.
    baker

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    very nice! just keep your motorcycle out of my bike lane

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by superjohnny
    very nice! just keep your motorcycle out of my bike lane
    Thanks! With my 10 mile range, I don't think we'll be in conflict anytime soon.
    baker

mtbr member
    Hi Baker,

The range that you get from your eHub motor for 10miles, is that without pedaling? Or that's pedaling included? Thank you. I have decided to get a Mundo. I was leaning on the Surly BD but it's too much money. The Trek Transport looks nice but it has less cargo capacity than the Yuba. Thanks

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by baker

Range is only about 10 miles, but that is sufficient for kid trips and messing around. I may throw on another couple lipos to increase range enough to do my commute at some point, but right now I'm just learning and having some fun.

The batteries and controller are stuffed in the small bag on the front rack in the pic below. I've since mounted the tiny controller outside of the bag on the front rack to increase airflow and cooling.

The kit can be removed within a few minutes, returning the Mundo back to pure pedal power.

Emundo1

MundoTrailWork
    Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy Joe
    Hi Baker,

The range that you get from your eHub motor for 10miles, is that without pedaling? Or that's pedaling included? Thank you. I have decided to get a Mundo. I was leaning on the Surly BD but it's too much money. The Trek Transport looks nice but it has less cargo capacity than the Yuba. Thanks

Ben
    The 10 miles is purely an estimate, and I was thinking with some pedaling. I have not gone further than 3 miles yet. Sorry that I can't provide a more accurate number, I just haven't had any longer rides on it yet.
    baker

mtbr member
    Cool, not a problem. Thanks for the info

The 10 miles is purely an estimate, and I was thinking with some pedaling. I have not gone further than 3 miles yet. Sorry that I can't provide a more accurate number, I just haven't had any longer rides on it yet.
    Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.

Another Retro Grouch
    ...I can still make it, but so slowly that staying upright becomes an issue...So, I decided to electrify my Mundo....
    Nice job. If adding a small electric motor makes the bike more useful/used, IMHO, it's a good idea. Everytime this bike is used, there's one less car on the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    Nice job. If adding a small electric motor makes the bike more useful/used, IMHO, it's a good idea. Everytime this bike is used, there's one less car on the road.
    That's my view on it but most cyclist's don't view it that way, which I don't understand.

Candlestick Maker
    I like the reduced environmental impact (versus driving my car). Exposing young minds to the concept of environmentally friendly transportation seems like a win-win situation to me...

But, I also really like taking the kids for rides and givien them a taste of utility-cycling first hand. And, yes, they still get plenty of exposure to non-motorized cycling (they attend my races, we go on regular family rides, etc).

Over the Christmas holidays, I repeatedly took 5 kids riding around the neighborhood on the Electric Pig. They couldn't get enough of it...
    baker

Candlestick Maker
    Oh yeah, I guess I never put the "environmentally friendly" portion of this build here in this post (4.4kW of solar power):

Mundo V3 and Solar Panels
    baker

mtbr member
    Howdy baker! Certainly looks like you did a good job at selecting the right kit for the job. It is amazing what just a few hundred watts can do sometimes. Which motor did you select in the end, the cute 100? Do you remember what the shipping cost was?
    owner, Holmes Bikes

Candlestick Maker
    Thanks! I did order the Cute 100. I cannot remember the shipping amount. It was quite a lot, but they will only ship the kit via EMS. Just plugged it back into their site and right now the kit is 122 and shipping is 126!

Here is another thread on endless-sphere about my build:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...hp?f=2&t=22996
    baker

mtbr member
    I thought that bike looked familiar!
    owner, Holmes Bikes

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
    I thought that bike looked familiar!
    Yeah, I thought your name looked familiar, too!
    baker