mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Dummy or fat Dummy?

Dear bikers,
    A great conflict is inside to me.
    Big dummy or Big Fat dummy?
    26 or fat?

We will soon be a not-car happy family. That's it.
    Big dummy is Great, but maybe not enough.

I mean:
    Now we Live in City. Rome City. But probably, sorry, certainly, we will transfer to Poland.
    When? I don't no....
    But i know one thing. In Poland the snow is much.

The question is.... i need to go fatty or 26 studded tyres it's my solution?

Thanks

turtles make me hot
    I'm waiting for the fat dummy. You said snow. That should be the key word.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    i have no esperienze in the snow. But the situation maybe is more complicated. i think, commuting , for shoop, to work, for son school, for 15 or more km, every day, is more complicated with fat tyres. Is absolutely necessary fatty on solid and batting snow as a tipical road in the est country?

turtles make me hot
    Do you NEED a fat Dummy? Probably not. Is it a more versatile bike than the regular Dummy? I believe so.
    It seems like it's going to be a stronger, stiffer frame. It's going to fit bigger wheels than a regular Dummy.
    My plan is to have a pair of fat wheels and a pair of 29" wheels. I think the 29x3.25" Duro Crux tire would rock on this bike. Duro Crux Tire - Jones Bikes
    Maybe even one of 45Nrth's studded tires.
    I do know that I'd rather have a bike that will take ANY wheel I want than be limited to 26".
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Do you NEED a fat Dummy? Probably not. Is it a more versatile bike than the regular Dummy? I believe so.
    It seems like it's going to be a stronger, stiffer frame. It's going to fit bigger wheels than a regular Dummy.
    My plan is to have a pair of fat wheels and a pair of 29" wheels. I think the 29x3.25" Duro Crux tire would rock on this bike. Duro Crux Tire - Jones Bikes
    I do know that I'd rather have a bike that will take ANY wheel I want than be limited to 26".
    Setting a BFD up with Duro Crux 29x3.25 tires is a fabulous idea. If I wanted/needed such a beast I would do the same. That would be far superior for me compared to a Big Dummy.

Have you used the Crux tires? I've got them squeezed into my SS Wednesday and love them.

turtles make me hot
    I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a pair and IF the beads play nice with my Velocity Duallys, I'll try them on my 907.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    i think that you have entered the situation! why choose regulare big dummy when ther'is a Fat Big Dummy?
    1) BFD is more long and more and long off.
    2) IT is more heavy.
    3) it use a not regular hub.
    4) i guess it has a price more expansive.
    I'm going to focusing on these point, for to see if BFD is my way. Thank you a lot for your tips.

TuTh rider
    Dec 2005
    I currently have a Big Dummy with 2.5 Hookworms and I live in WI. If you are planning on going car-free, the Big Fat Dummy is the way to go. You can always go to a smaller, easier rolling tire in the summer months, but in bad weather, the extra meat of the big tires would be great.

Also, if you will be car-free, you will be happier with the stiffer Big Fat Dummy frame.

turtles make me hot
    If I can get my Collie Shepherd mix to ride on the deck of a Fat Dummy, I'm gonna ride that thing everywhere.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Maszk View Post
    I currently have a Big Dummy with 2.5 Hookworms and I live in WI. If you are planning on going car-free, the Big Fat Dummy is the way to go. You can always go to a smaller, easier rolling tire in the summer months, but in bad weather, the extra meat of the big tires would be great.

Also, if you will be car-free, you will be happier with the stiffer Big Fat Dummy frame.
    Thenk you for interesting. I think you have region.

Now i'm going with Maxxis grifter 29x2,5 on my Rabbit Hole for commuting, training and funny-time ( when the play is easy) and i'm satisfied.
    Maybe Rabbit-hole and Surly Extraterrestrial 29er is a best solution for me in the summer, on BFD. When the play go to hard, Big Fat Tyres is the solution.

Thank you guys.
    I'm going to buy Big Fat Dummy frame.

Human Test Subject
    I like parts of both, but when I'm actually hauling a load of patio pavers or whatever the last thing I'm thinking is "You know what? This is cool, but it could be harder"
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I like parts of both, but when I'm actually hauling a load of patio pavers or whatever the last thing I'm thinking is "You know what? This is cool, but it could be harder"
    i dont understand what you say. you can explain more simple. sorry for my bad english.

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by mal83 View Post
    i dont understand what you say. you can explain more simple. sorry for my bad english.
    Riding a cargo bike is hard and when it's loaded up it's even harder. Fat tires don't roll very well, so a loaded fat cargo bike will be a LOT of work.

Plus when you get into the really heavy loads that granny gear comes in handy.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Riding a cargo bike is hard and when it's loaded up it's even harder. Fat tires don't roll very well, so a loaded fat cargo bike will be a LOT of work.

Plus when you get into the really heavy loads that granny gear comes in handy.
    Thank you. this is a very important situation be evaluated.
    I never tried a cargo bike, but i think this isn't a problem for me. I'm trained cyclist. When i go out with my 5 yars old son in a trailer, harder track uphill, for we are funny.
    Our difficult moment now, is we can't load my son's bike on our Chariot CX. I hope, Dummy help me on this and, i hope, it is more lithesome.

turtles make me hot
    mal83 is my hero.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The reason the BFD is completely appealing to me is the possibility of running 26x5 (snow), 29+ (desert) or 700wide (city) wheelsets. As a longtime dummy owner who has mtbed it off road, I like the possibilities opened up by the BFD.

The only real drawback is I run a schmidt/rohloff on my dummy, so building 2-3 wheelsets for a BFD gets spendy fast. Would probably fabricate some sort of jackshaft as well and cut down the bottom bracket to 73mm as there should be no real need for a 100mm bottom bracket when running a rohloff.

g

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I thought same type situation. 3 wheelset with Rohloff hub in only one frame, do not is versatility, is crazy. Hold Dummy and Dummy Fat and the play is done. Or Mount classic 2x10 trasmission in the summer and change at 1x in the winter with 5inch tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thank you every people for getting interesting this topic. Now we have buought the "classic" big dummy, for logistic transport in the city and other things.
    I have some thought about it.

1) 26inc wheels-set is good.
    2) 8v chain-set is very good.
    3) very low gear is super.
    4) Air zound clacson is essential.
    5) A standard components on utility/work/EDC bicycle is my creed.

I'd like to try but my opinion is not favorable to mount 29+ and 11 speed chain-set on long tail bike.
    Now the question is..... Is a Big Fat Dummy unique cargo bike for every season?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mal83 View Post
    Or Mount classic 2x10 trasmission in the summer and change at 1x in the winter with 5inch tires.
    I struggled with some of the same issues. I ended up going FAT. The size Large was 100% sold out, and there was a single size Large frame, which i bought and am currently building.

I decided against the rohloff after the quote came back even higher than i had anticipated (didn't think that was possible after what i originally budgeted!) so am going to use a shimano 1x11, at least to start.

I also would prefer to eventually put 29x3" on in the summer, but really don't want to have to swap drivertrains (I'll want full-fat for some sand rides, even in summer); I started a drivetrain thread you may be interested in: widen chainline for Surly Big FAT Dummy

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by high_desert_mud View Post
    I ended up going FAT.
    I've had the completed bike for a month now. Arguably the best bike I've ever had. It handles very well for what it is.

I'm still working on getting a 29x3 bomber setup for some really heavy hauling i intend to use it for, but for now just riding on 26x5's and loving it.

mtbr member
    BFD for the win here. More traction, more cush, more versatility.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    As much as I love fat tires and thru-axles (currently own a Surly ICT), I just ordered a classic Big Dummy with the Surly 2.5 ET tires. I'm sure the BFD is sweet, but went with the classic for these reasons:

- Nearly all riding will be on cement bike path or paved roads, with home at the top of a fairly significant 1 mile hill. That hill is a sufferfest on my fat bike compared to my other MTBs. Any reduction in weight and rolling resistance is helpful.

- I will be hauling two kids sitting on the deck frequently, so I like the slightly lower center of gravity with the classic (I was also shopping the Edgerunner for this reason).

- Compatibility with certain Xtracycle accessories, particularly the Hooptie, U-tubes, and Wideloaders. I want maximum capability for carrying bikes and other large items while also carrying kids. Also like that the classic BD will work with the Rolling Jackass kickstand. I decided early on that that is a must-have item for me. I know that there are homemade work-arounds for a lot of these things, but the simplicity of plug-and-play right now is key.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
    Compatibility with certain Xtracycle accessories ... plug-and-play right now is key
    yep, due to the wider deck the bFd is not as plug and play. Adapting it is easy, but requires a trip to your local builder, or diy Surly Big Fat Dummy + child seat SUCCESS (with pictures, Yepp Maxi Nexxt)

Quote Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
    Also like that the classic BD will work with the Rolling Jackass kickstand.
    Note, this ISN'T true; the manufacturer of the Rolling Jackass is making a BFD model. Same price as the BD model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by high_desert_mud View Post

Note, this ISN'T true; the manufacturer of the Rolling Jackass is making a BFD model. Same price as the BD model.
    Good to know, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't see it on their website so assumed it wasn't an option.