Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Down South Yooper

Dummy and Dumber

Got my dummy on backorder tonight, anticipated delivery is mid-november at this point, I'm guessing it'll be the straight frame, which is fine with me. Have a bin of parts in the garage, the big missing link at this point is wheels, but by November I can have that worked out as well.

Pretty excited right about now, will try to document the build as it goes together..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

NONDURO
    AWESOMENESS!!! Please post pics when you receive it! For sure show us build pics too!!! I am eager to see where they skimped on quality (new, lower price = “lesser” components, according to the guys at Xtracycle). I am waiting for my 26"x2.5" Large Marge wheel build to be completed, that is going to kick some ass on my recently-acquired Big Dummy!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Down South Yooper
    I'm still waiting to see what price I'll be getting it for. On the advise of Adam at Treefort, I put one on backorder at their currently listed price of just over $600 and if it holds, that would be sweet, but I'm not sure yet, with the redesign and all. Hoestly, I don't expect the quality of the frame to be any better or worse than other surly offerings, I don't think anybody is buying them based on their artisan qualities, moreso the economy and utility factors there.

I have basically a full XT drivetrain to put on it, with the exception that the middle ring (that needs to be replaced along with a new cassette and chain) will likely go to a surly stainless model for additional mileage. Front derailleur is an XTR 950 series with the parallel plates, not my first choice, but I already have it..

I've got a set of Magura Louise 180mm f/r hydraulics and a pair of titec j-bars (the flat bar, not the riser) waiting as well, and a thomson post. I'll need a longer hose for the rear brake, but that's still cheaper than going another route for the brake department.

I have either a King or a CC 110 headset to go in as well.

The rest of the parts are yet to be determined..

Plum

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    AWESOMENESS!!! Please post pics when you receive it! For sure show us build pics too!!! I am eager to see where they skimped on quality (new, lower price = “lesser” components, according to the guys at Xtracycle). I am waiting for my 26"x2.5" Large Marge wheel build to be completed, that is going to kick some ass on my recently-acquired Big Dummy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Say it ain't so. Still waiting for you to complete the other one and ride report.

Down South Yooper
    Yeah, yeah, I just got the spokes for that build yesterday, those wheels will get laced tonight..

Anyway, i heard from the vendor, looks like the sale price won't apply to the 'new' framesets, so not sure what the non-sale msrp on the new ones is, but my order won't go through at the sale price..

My fault for waiting too long, I'm sure it'll work out..

Plum

Quote Originally Posted by bme107
    Say it ain't so. Still waiting for you to complete the other one and ride report.

Down South Yooper
    There may, or may not be an 18" big dummy frame and fork, complete with extracycle wideloaders, v-rack and snapdeck, with the freeloader bags out for delivery this morning..

Budget dictates that i can't finish it right away, but hopefully this fall yet.. First up, gotta get rid of that brown/green paint though..

Plum

Down South Yooper
    It's official, I'm dumber now then when I came to work this morning..

Plum

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    It's official, I'm dumber now then when I came to work this morning..

Plum
    You too? I get that also, especially on Mondays.

gregclimbs has an awesome powder job and may be tough to top in terms of "wow" factor. What are you thinking?

Down South Yooper
    You too? I get that also, especially on Mondays.

gregclimbs has an awesome powder job and may be tough to top in terms of "wow" factor. What are you thinking?
    Probably something less "wow" than what Greg has, his is really nice, but I tend to go for more muted, matted colors. My original "supercommuter" had a dark gray "cast iron" powder finish, so it had a little texture, like a heavier orange peel finish. Was killer durable, low profile, but looked really nice. I'm thinking something along those lines.

I have a quote from the local (within 20 minutes) powder guy, around $120 to strip and recoat frame and fork. I see a bunch of people have powdered the xtracycle racks as well, might have those done too, have to see..

And yes, I still have these pink fenders and they will be going on the Dummy...

Plum
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Down South Yooper
    How are people using chariots with their Dummies, where do you mount the bracket? Looks like it would mount fine to the wideloader socket, but not if I want to use the wideloaders. Putting it on the axle mount (stock location) won't work due to the length of the trailer arm, so where are people mounting the bracket?

Thanks.

Plum

Down South Yooper

Shaving a dummy

Worked on this last night, shaving off the cantilever bosses. I figure, I haven't used cantilever bosses on a bike equipped with discs, ever. Or, more clearly, when I have an option to go disc, I never consider cantilever/v-brakes. I'm not going to change this thinking on this bike, so why not clear off some unneccessary crap?

Hacked them off with a hacksaw, the used a combination of a cross-hatch file and a dremel with a sanding drum to clean up the remnants. Started on the fork, because if I messed up, it would be cheaper to replace than the frame. Got them pretty smooth, but you can still barely feel the old brazing, I had to resist doing 'just a little more' for fear of compromising the actual tubing, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Under powder, I don't think you'll be able to tell they were ever there..

Plum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dummy and Dumber-img00189-20101019-2305.jpg  

Dummy and Dumber-img00190-20101019-2305.jpg  

Down South Yooper
    At the painters now, flat gun metal gray frame and fork, xtracycle racks will be flat black.. Two weeks wait...

Plum

mtbr member
    Nice - given the reports of underspray around the cable guides and the ease of scratching the finish a matte powdercoat would be awesome.

If you are interested in the centerstand i am ready to pass on the black powder coated one I bought from Vikb - you aren't running an IGH, so if you don't plan to use wideloaders much I'll be posting it for $75 shipped in CONUS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rkt88edmo
    ...you aren't running an IGH...

Vik mentioned that he had issues with his IGH and the stand...

I have a rohloff on my dummy and it doesn't interfere...

perhaps it is the chain tensioner that I use that solves that? Could you describe the interference? Or maybe Vik could (if he is listening)

g

mtbr member
    When in the "up" stowed position the chain rides against the bottom of the kickback. I'm running the Rohloff dual pulley chain tensioner. It looks like it may only need another 1.5 cm to clear the kickback with room for play. If I really found myself in need of a centerstand I would strongly consider carving into the kickback tube to create a pass through area and welding in a filler piece to maintain integrity.

As it is, I'm glad to have had the chance to use it and am ready to pass it along.

Down South Yooper
    Haven't decided about a center stand yet, I want to use the dummy for a while to see how often I have use for the wide loaders before I buy more gear. I still have wheels and shifters to buy as well, plus some replacement drive train parts, so the center stand will have wait for now.

Plum

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    Haven't decided about a center stand yet, I want to use the dummy for a while to see how often I have use for the wide loaders before I buy more gear. I still have wheels and shifters to buy as well, plus some replacement drive train parts, so the center stand will have wait for now.

Plum
    I just mounted Wideloaders last week, and now engaging/disengaging the centerstand is an awkward task. I can see where slapping the stock kickstand back on my Big Dummy would make life easier.

I am hoping I won’t need to cut my cantilever bosses to fit the 65mm Large Marges and Hookworms, I did see that Flickr user Biggerdummy didn’t cut his to fit them:

I guess I would need to slighty deflate the Hookworms to remove/install the wheels.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Down South Yooper
    Back from paint today, started in with the assembly. Cleared all the threads, pressed in the HS, installed the fork, stem, bar, etc. Need a higher rise stem, maybe a bit shorter as well. The bar is *just* below the saddle, would like them higher.

Threw on a set of wheels from my wife's bike, started with the rear fender, etc. Installed the racks to check fit, etc.

I need to get a longer hydro hose for the rear brake, swap over the drivetrain parts from another bike, replace some drivetrain parts (rings and cassette), wheels and some thumbie mounts and I'll have everything..

Anyway, has anybody ever used a set of bar ends on the v-rack uprights as footie mounts for kids? I was putting the bar plugs back in the end of the rack after painting and it occurred to me that an old set of bar ends would fit over the v-rack and be about the right height for a rugrat on the back. Slipped one on so i could get some feedback on that..

With the paint, I ended up with a gloss finish after looking at the samples. In low light, it's just gray, in sunlight there will be a little flake in it. I had the v-racks and wideloaders powdered flat black, really happy with how those turned out. Need to get a set of decals coming as well...

Couple of pics for the peanut gallery..

Plum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dummy and Dumber-img00213-20101111-2241-1.jpg  

Dummy and Dumber-img00214-20101111-2242.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Very envious of your continuous builds. Don't know how you guys keep doing it since I've probably only been able to put $500+/- into bike related activities in the past 2 years. I do know that you can fetch at least $85 for that Kettler in the background on CL.

The lighting and camera are not doing much for the frame color. The bar end foot pegs are ingenious. Could add some old used bar tape for a bit of grip if they are slick under the kid's feet.

NONDURO
    WOW! The bar end footpegs—what a resourceful idea!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkt88edmo
    When in the "up" stowed position the chain rides against the bottom of the kickback. I'm running the Rohloff dual pulley chain tensioner. It looks like it may only need another 1.5 cm to clear the kickback with room for play. If I really found myself in need of a centerstand I would strongly consider carving into the kickback tube to create a pass through area and welding in a filler piece to maintain integrity.

As it is, I'm glad to have had the chance to use it and am ready to pass it along.
    Ya that's the same problem I had, but we have the same IGH/tensioner setup so no surprise I guess.

What was your impression of the Kickback?...it seems to have lasted even a shorter durration in your arsenal than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    I just mounted Wideloaders last week, and now engaging/disengaging the centerstand is an awkward task. I can see where slapping the stock kickstand back on my Big Dummy would make life easier.
    Ya that gets old very fast. I had actually thought about leaving the side kickstand on my BD to use when I needed to swap in the Wideloaders, but that doesn't work as the side stand and the Kickback interfere with each other. It also seems a bit stupid to need a second stand to make your main stand easier to use.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb
    Ya that's the same problem I had, but we have the same IGH/tensioner setup so no surprise I guess.

What was your impression of the Kickback?...it seems to have lasted even a shorter durration in your arsenal than mine.
    I liked the kickback, like I said, I am somewhat torn between passing it on and modding it so the chain passes through.

My most often carried load is my two kids and I don't need a centerstand to load them. I keep the front brake locked out and that keeps the bike from rolling so I only need to keep it upright which is pretty easy. And 90% of the time I am near a wall, pole, or tree which makes loading even easier.

So at the end of the day the center stand is far more a convenience than a necessity, and as low on my list as weight is, that stand is heavy. With the chain dragging, it just makes me crazy, not sure what the efficiency loss is, but the sound and knowledge of it dragging makes me nuts.

Down South Yooper
    Very envious of your continuous builds. Don't know how you guys keep doing it since I've probably only been able to put $500+/- into bike related activities in the past 2 years. I do know that you can fetch at least $85 for that Kettler in the background on CL.

The lighting and camera are not doing much for the frame color. The bar end foot pegs are ingenious. Could add some old used bar tape for a bit of grip if they are slick under the kid's feet.
    I'll have to see how the pegs work after I get it all together. Seems like a good location though, as my kids aren't tall enough yet to reach a set of footsies (nor do i have a set). Might be a moot point, as my kids may not be old enough yet to ride on the back anyway, have to see how they do in the spring. Bar tape or grip tape is a good idea, I'll have to see how they work.

As for the finances, I tend to turn things over pretty frequently. I sold a SIR9 frame/fork and wheelset to fund this build, and I'm reusing the drivetrain off my older bike on the Surly. I'm recycling the drivetrain off the SIR onto the other bike, so my actual out of pocket isn't too bad. Plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than having a car hobby or something. The other recent tandem project was under $1,000 all in, probably closer to $800 or so, since I got the rolling chassis so cheap and am using (essentially) all the original drivetrain components.

Plum

Devo
    as to the kickstand deal:

I simply zip tied some old road tyre to the wideloaders
    and I lay the bike on the wideloaders.
    its a much faster transition, like when you were a kid and you'd come skidding into your buddy's yard, dumping your bike.

as to loading the bike, I use BOB trailer dry saks, which happen to work well on the wideloaders.
    while the BD is laying on its WideLoaders, its in the opportune position to most easily receive cargo.

that is, when the BD is laying diagonally on its side, laying cargo onto it, puts the weight right into the intersection of V-Rack and WideLoader. Like laying weight into a "V".
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Devo
    I've lamented over kickstands and the BD.
    after breaking my 3rd Greenfield, I decided to quit trying to keep the bike propped up, and go with gravity, letting it rest on its side.

as it turns out the wideloader with tyre zip tied actually works out to work pretty well.

when the bike is without the WideLoaders, I tend to use the kickstand much more. And as a pain as it is, it seems to be a bit of a hassle to load the BD with any substantial weight, which brings up the topic of simply using FreeLoaders, and how effective/convenient they are compared to adding WideLoaders.

the biggest convenience of riding without WideLoaders, is the narrow profile of the bike.

if it were a matter of a kickstand(s), it seems that integrating into the WideLoaders would be the answer.
    ???

that is to say...
    a new version of WideLoader would/could simply have a hole in the edge
    thereby alowing a rod to go thru the BD frame at the point where the WideLoader attaches closest to the bb
    just put the kickstand furthest outboard vs in the center.

the same could be done for the rear of the bike too.

the idea, being that a rod would go thru the BD at the attachment points for WideLoaders.
    new WideLoaders would have holes to allow a rod going thru.
    at the ends of those rods, a kick stand could be attached

thereby creating at least 2 kickstands per rod
    which would bring the BD to having 4 kickstands going thru the WideLoaders.
    with adjustable legs to compensate for uneven ground....

but the whole thing takes on this giant complex operation/contraption to hold a bike up...

something as simple as a kickstand, becomes a big pain

which goes right back to laying the BD onto the wideloaders... add old tyre to the sides, and be done.
    use something to hold the brake(s).
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast