mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Does anyone have a pedalec system on a cargo bike here?

I made the mistake of riding my friend's new Trek Transport+, which I knew I shouldn't have done, and now I am seriously considering electrifying my Big Dummy, as opposed to before, when I was just like "oh, maybe one day I'll consider that".

I thiiiiiink the Transport+ uses Bionx's PL250 system.

Using this retailer as a guide, and I think I'd end up buying from them given that they are close by and seem to have good customer service, I'm considering the PL350 36V, or the SL350 48V.

My question is, does anyone have one of these? I've read a few blog articles from various bike shops, basically the first few links on Google when searching for Bionx Big Dummy, and it seems that a lot are just using the PL250, but I'm wondering what the best motor is for a Big Dummy with 200 lb me, and either groceries, or a 4 year old and groceries, or a 1 year old and a 4 year old, or a 4 year old and his 16" bike. Unsure if I will be overheating this type of setup, or if I need a certain amount of torque, etc etc.

The Endless Sphere forums are like super technical, I'm kinda shying away from doing a DIY kit, sticking with Bionx because they are Canada based and not some shifty Chinese company. They seem to be as put-together as I can ask for in a pedalec kit, which seems to be a young and growing technology.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Cool! I don't have experience with the electrified pedal assist stuff but sounds pretty sweet! What made you decide you need pedal assist, if I may ask? I live in a pretty flat area and my grocery store is uphill uploaded and downhill loaded, so I haven't had issues. Although taking both my guys on my TT to get more fireworks a few days ago really challenged my legs! My oldest is 120 and my youngest is 65. Of course I weight less and am smaller than my oldest son but he won't pedal a 2 wheeler. So pedal assist might have been nice
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

PRETENDURO
    Don’t do it!!! Seriously, I’d thought about it before. My Big Dummy weighs 105 pounds sand cargo/riders/passengers. A choice I made due to the “sag support” nature of my bike. I have spares galore onboard, a fullsize pump, somewhere around 6 pounds of Lithium-Ion batteries for the 4 pounds or so of homebrew LED lights (with overkill heat sinking), 35 pounds of lead-acid batteries for the 17" and 19" truck horns. When I add my kids’ Burley Piccolo and my two boys AND my weight, we’re a combined 400+ pounds of weight. Would be a nice addition for the stoplight/stopsign starts, but my older son and I have pledged for a fully-manual dragrace style start with just our legs at every opportunity. Keeps a bit of honesty going on.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I like technically don't HAVE to get it, but like the other day I rode 12 miles to a trail build day, with a full load of supplies (line trimmer, gas, shovel, rakes, etc) and then when I got home later on, I was absolutely fried. Plus there is a massive climb to pick my son up at preschool. And there's the not wanting to be covered in sweat when I arrive at the grocery store. Plus it would help with commuting 15 miles to work and not being sweaty and stanky (no showers at my work, and I'm in sales), which is why I haven't tried commuting yet.

I just caught the taste of pedaling up a steepish hill and feeling like I was pedaling a 30 lb "normal" bike while doing so, and it occurred to me it would be splendid to pedal 100+ lbs of bike as if it were 30 lbs. I wouldn't have a desire to do so if I didn't have a cargo bike.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Of course I weight less and am smaller than my oldest son but he won't pedal a 2 wheeler. So pedal assist might have been nice
    Kind of off topic, but what about a trail-a-bike? Then you'd have some assist!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    That would be awesome but they don't make them that big(he is almost 13). It is rare that he even rides anything, let alone on the back of my cargo but fireworks were at the other end of the 4 mile ride(and mom doesn't pick out awesome fireworks!) so there was no way he was leaving it up to me and I wasn't gonna drive since we had a ton of lawnchairs and inlaws in the way of my van. But it went well, I think I even saw him smile while riding so maybe just the occasional cargo ride will help him realize 2 wheelers aren't that bad.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I don't have a cargo bike but can offer some info on the pedalec system. I was thinking of getting a big dummy a little while back. I wanted to add a mid drive using the Stoke Monkey, hence being able to utilize the gears as well as have a rig that was efficient, even though more costly. I couldn't get the Stoke Monkey as it was out of production at the time so I ended up with a custom commuter/road bike with panniers. I commute with it mainly at night 25 miles round trip for work.

It is a mid drive 36v 12ah with 250w Panasonic motor and 3 levels of pedal assist options, and up to a 90+ mile range depending on how much you want to work, it works really well! Let me say though, it is not a free ride, you have to pedal it to make the motor work and can still work up a good sweat if you want. BUT, it does make things easier on the hills and when filling the panniers with equipment/groceries/etc. it weighs in at 55 lbs with panniers (empty).

I looked at hub motors both geared and non geared and mid drives, the mid drive seemed the way to go and it has worked well! The company I got my bike from (Petes electric bikes) have the big dummy and build it with the Panasonic mid drive. It is a little pricey but Panasonic is one of the best mid drives out there. You may be able to buy the kit from them to put on you big dummy, just not sure?

When I get back on a non powered bike it seems like I appreciate it more, feels like a rocket, even the Moonlander at 37 lbs, the 17 lb Lynskey is like having a turbo! But you wont worry about hills anymore with pedal assist,I guess it all depends on what you want? I have purpose built bikes (for me) and was very happy adding the e-bike to the quiver!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Trek Ride+ system is built by BionX for Trek. Trek lists the specs as a 350w motor and a 190wh battery, so the closest equivalent will be the PL350 with the 6.4ah battery. If you're looking for a seamless, tinker-free, simple solution, BionX is probably the way to go. The Stokemonkey kit also looks pretty nice, but it isn't a pedelec. You'll have a controllable throttle (unless you want to do a fair bit of tinkering).

If you can justify the expense, I'd really recommend the 48v system. In general you will get a snappier bike running the highest voltage you can, all else equal.

I personally electrified my TT a while back and it was a blast to commute on. I could arrive at work clean and fresh in the morning and sweat as much as I wanted on the way home. Of course, I also overvolted and undergeared it with a large rear hub motor. I could pull 6kw from dead stop and had a top speed of 45mph. While that's obviously no longer a "pedal assist", it was a rocketship. Then again, I could carry my wife and her 50lbs of books to the library and back with relative ease, so that was nice and practical.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah if I get the Bionx it would be the SL 350 48W. Others keep saying ebikes.ca and such for better and less expensive systems, but I mainly want a seamless system where it integrates fully with my pedaling like the Bionx. The Stokemonkey looked cool but it seems it is out of production?

There seems to be some neat bottom bracket mount kits out in Europe but not much info on them over here. I may just go Bionx simply because it is well known, a full package, and i know how it feels from already riding the Transport+.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Does anyone have a pedalec system on a cargo bike here?-dscf2630.jpgYou could also use the kit that Sonny at the Urban Commuter Store makes, as he makes clean setup for both the Big Dummy as well as the Yuba Mundo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oh....here is the link.

Urban Commuter Store

OldschoolReloaded

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks! Will check that out.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had a SL350XL BionX on my Big Dummy for a year. I put about 2k miles on it. Smoked the rear hub, but I'm super abusive. I'm going to warranty it then sell the system. I have since replaced it with an AFT mid-drive. Way more power but much more complicated to install.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    35 pounds of lead-acid batteries for the 17" and 19" truck horns.
    It seems like a large plastic bottle and an airzound would accomplish the same thing and weigh a hell of a lot less.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by sfuller View Post
    It seems like a large plastic bottle and an airzound would accomplish the same thing and weigh a hell of a lot less.
    Not really. These are real truck horns fed by an overvolted 12V compressor (run at 24V), trust me, an Airzound just isn’t the same. Besides, I like the workout I get when I ride this heavy-ass bike.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.