Need Sleep

DIY Whatchamacollar anybody?

I went with the two bolt 1" seat post clamp idea...all four plus shipping was $26.

What are other Dumb Riders using?
    Go buy a Pizza

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by cocksmith View Post
    I went with the two bolt 1" seat post clamp idea...all four plus shipping was $26.

What are other Dumb Riders using?
    Photo??
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

...a wiggle theres a way
    It seems a bit irresponsible to spend 70+ dollars for collars whose primary function is to keep water and grit out of the frame.

Another dummy user suggested using an old tube, so this past Thursday before i left work, i was 'blessed' with a flat tire on the cross bike (700x35c tires) so after replacing the tube and tossing the flattened one in the pannier and riding home I got to work and this is the result.

I cut the 700x35c tube into 4" pieces and put them on the V-rack, the P-Rack, and my homemade wideloaders.

Yes i know the other function of the collars is to secure these racks, BUT, thats why i have the bags, the snap deck, and gravity for (:

Total cost: two dollars for the tube that i purchased two years ago from NPS
    -joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Whatchamacollar anybody?-imag0505.jpg  

DIY Whatchamacollar anybody?-imag0506.jpg  

Need Sleep
    I have found with the P Racks that they pop out in the rear when hitting bumps so the collars will actually help in my case, I will post some pics when they arrive.

As far as a good sealer, I use wiring shrink wrap,slide them in place then hit em with the heat gun, you can get some at your local big box hardware store amongst the car battery maintenance section.
    Go buy a Pizza

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I went with the "hunk of innertube" approach as well. I don't know if I'd call the $70 expenditure for the Whatchamacollars irresponsible. I will say, I'd rather spend that money for something else on my BD besides keeping the water and dirt out.

Down South Yooper
    I did the 1" bmx 2 bolt collars as well, the fit over the dummy sockets, then I used a handlebar shim over the v-racks to make their OD 1" as well, snug it all down and go. It's a little finicky to hold hte shims in place when you're jimmying the racks in, but it's solid. Next time I'm due for paint I think I'm going to add a seat post binder bolt to the dummy socket and slot it like a normal seat tube. Less stuff to fuss with, cleaner and quicker installations to boot.

Plum

*edit, total cost was under $30. My kids are seat belted to the rear deck, so I needed to have it solid. Moisture still gets in there, I just have it framesavered and touch it up whenever I have the racks out, which is not that often.
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

Need Sleep
    Here it is Boys and Girls, Give Demshitz a slight pry,grease the Frame, Hammer it on carefully, Grease the Holy Hell out of the Bolt, Tighten without stripping threads......I needed no shim for the rack portion due to six coats of Powder coat Orange

Solid as a Rock now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Whatchamacollar anybody?-photo-1.jpg  

DIY Whatchamacollar anybody?-photo-2.jpg  

DIY Whatchamacollar anybody?-photo-3.jpg  

DIY Whatchamacollar anybody?-photo-4.jpg  

DIY Whatchamacollar anybody?-photo-5.jpg  

Go buy a Pizza

Need Sleep
    Yea that's 700c's of goodness :-)
    Go buy a Pizza

mtbr member
    Very cool idea, could you have gone with an even less expensive option and used 4 single-bolt seat clamps? or even 8 cheap single-bolt clamps? (I know nothing about cargo bikes, just picked a random thread because I'm bored and saw this).

Devo
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Next time I'm due for paint I think I'm going to add a seat post binder bolt to the dummy socket and slot it like a normal seat tube. Less stuff to fuss with, cleaner and quicker installations to boot.
    thats a really good idea. This should be a Surly mod at the factory for the next production run.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo View Post
    thats a really good idea. This should be a Surly mod at the factory for the next production run.
    The Sun atlas bikes are setup like that, aside from the oversized QR's they used, it was slick. A nice small binder brazed on would be neat and tidy. Use a 5mm bolt to secure and hold the v-racks in place. No collars, no parts to lose. Ideal IMHO.

Plum

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Very cool idea, could you have gone with an even less expensive option and used 4 single-bolt seat clamps? or even 8 cheap single-bolt clamps? (I know nothing about cargo bikes, just picked a random thread because I'm bored and saw this).
    The reason we're using 2 bolt clamps is that the xtracycle sockets aren't slotted, so you can't clamp them onto the v-rack. You have to clamp 1/2 the binder to the frame and the other half to the v-rack to hold it. Kinda clumsy, especially with the two different tubing diameters of the v-rack and the xtracycle frame, but it works.

Plum

mtbr member
    I see