mtbr member
    Apr 2012

DIY my version of a cargo bike.

took a steel mountain bike tandem bike, chopped off the rear seat. welded on a box frame with wings. i wanted to be able to carry long boxes and heavy loads. this bike has far exceeded my my expectations. carrying ladders, a recliner chair, a car motor and towed a small boat. it is stable at speeds and has carried up to about 400lbs. thank god for the granny gear going up hills where i live.

in the pic you can see me going to a cx race taking the race bike.

as much as i have enjoyed this bike in the last year, it is too long and big to store. even though i built it so i can balance it on its end and park it straight up. i am going to build a surly orge with a one wheel trailer. it will be limited carrying heavy or long loads, but will suit my storage needs better.

this cargo bike is going on craigslist this week. i am sure it will sell fast as i always get offers to buy it when i ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY my version of a cargo bike.-img_1867sm.jpg  

DIY my version of a cargo bike.-img_1864sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wow, that's a monster! I hear you on the storage problems, even just an extracycle takes up an awful lot of space in the garage. You had to rent a mini-storage stall just to park it in eh?! haha
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    I would have loved to buy that if I had the money to get it right now, It would be a nice cargo bike to carry my laundry on and not have to lug my trailer around. And Kudos for your creativity on it

mtbr member

Good Job

Looks good. You could go on a serious camping trip with that bad boy! You gonna leave that fork on there?

Disabled Vet
    Whoa that thing's killer! Nicely done,my friend
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll