Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Devo

Devo & The Dummy

rather than hog up a whole thread about misc Devo & The Dummy stuff, i guess i should go ahead and start a new thread.

obviously I'm very happy with the Big Dummy. I've had it built up for a whole of 12 days.

in that time, I've managed to get a good solid impression of it. i guess it also helps that i rode the Xtracycle for awhile, and I've used these rigs for various hauling duties...

ok..blah blah blah...

on with it!

well, i loaded up the Dummy, with a ton of stuff, camping gear, laptop, lights, food, tipi, clothing, and a whole lot of misc items.

this outing a trip to LA to visit my brother Dylan who ended up in the ICU after having an emergency operation to remove an abscess out of his trachea/bronchia area. i still need to review his chart and see exactly what is going on.

yesterday was a 14hr travel day

the day before, i had made a resolve to load up everything, and try travel with The Dummy.

and I mean, its loaded up! 4 man kifaru tipi, clothing, and probably about a weeks worth of various backpacking-esq foods.

much to my elation, the trip was pretty easy.

i did get a flat last night around 9pm, dead smack on Wilshire Blvd, i guess in Korea Town. there i was on the side walk with a fully loaded Dummy 2 BOB trailer bags filled beyond any reasonable packing job, with a flat. i decided to not unload the rig and tip it onto its side to remove the wheel, and deal with the flat.
    then... the kick breaks! arggh! i freaking snapped the kickstand. it BROKE!
    where it broke was around the pin it pivots on. in all fairness, its the original stand off of the Xtracycle, and I've tortured it a ton. i really dont think they intend it to be used as a "jack strut" where i simply pivot the whole rig, loaded, and all, on the kickstand, to get to the rear wheel, with out unloading.

Conti town & country tyres, i guess taken to their limit, or perhaps a chance occasion simply getting a flat.

actually the flat occurred clear back in Salinas, about 1 block away from the AmTrak station, BUT... the Slime in the tube, did its job. Not until i got onto the streets of LA, did the whole snotty mess come undone. i did try to limp it for a stupid amount of cycles of "hissing" and "not hissing" as the puncture would self seal, then come undone. Slime did buy me time. I guess that is its ultimate design purpose. was i thinking that it was "self Healing"....? in many ways, i was.

i was hoping... as i was pedaling thru the downtown streets of LA in the middle of the night. ya... i was hopeful. instead i had the occasion to repair the rig, with the night people of LA walking the streets.

there i was with this crazy loaded rig, and the seedy people scoping me out.
    i dont know who thought who was crazier. as I so typical of my tactics, that is to be friendly and try to always make friends. soon enough i had an audience. for a moment, i had even thought of removing my helmet, and laying it upside down, to take donations.

this morning as i recovered from the 14hr day, i found green slime all over the snapdeck, and on the most rearward of the water bottles.

AmTrak, was a TOTALLY AWESOME! Super accommodating and the trip went very SMOOTH!

over the years, I have mulled over all the info on websites, etc. trying to figure out how to use the bus, train, whatever, with a bike.

AmTrak states that bikes have to be boxed up. when you call the 800, they say the same.

so it was, that i go about making the reservation, calling, making sure a box is available, the whole 9 yards. I even time my trip to give me about an hour before the train arrives, simply to get things boxed up.

however when i get to the station, it turns out that a Bus/train combo is faster, and the bus only had about 8 passengers, the Big Dummy simply laid on its non-drive side, under the bus, with the 2 BOB Trailer bags positioned around it, to act like some sort of cushion, if needed.

I get to San Luis Obispo to change from AmTrak Bus to the actual train. I think the train is called "Pacific Surfliner"

sure enough we just put The Dummy in the baggage car, with the 2 duffel bags. In the Baggage Car, I simply leaned the rig up against the wall, and used a tie-down to secure it. for additional stability, I turned in the disc brake, outboard adjusters to put the pads against the disc. effectively locking the wheels.

when I arrived at Union Station, in LA, The Dummy had not moved. PERFECT!

in a brief, round about way, it was somewhat reminiscent of loading Howitzers, and Humvees onto rail, but of course, its nothing like that... NOTING AT ALL.
    its just a nice little train ride with my bike from Salinas to LA, complete with a Snack Bar. how cushy could it get?

the fair was a total of $46.

I left the house around 830a, arrived in Salinas around 1030a.
    loaded The Dummy by 1055a, and arrived at Union Station around 8pm i think.
    i arrived at my sisters around 930pm. sleep came sometime after midnight...

using the Nylon straps that come with the Xtracycle has proven to be a great choice compared to rope.
    round rope vs flat nylon strap, it seems to me that the "flat" profile gives more "bite" compared to round rope. the flat strap, stays put, with less effort.

consequently, somehow, I came across an additional length, that is about twice as long as the pieces that come with the Xtracycle.

my favorite method seems to be to turn the BOB trailer bags on their sides, position the yellow end to the rear of the rig, as to provide a degree of "yellow" safety for traffic, and the nice flat section that is effectively the bottom of the DrySack, that flat section fits nicely up against the V-racks.

so i load the non-drive side first. being that its on a kick-stand.
    and put the BOB trailer bag up against the LongLoader, and secure the deal with 1 strap running from the middle of the WideLoader, then over the SnapDeck, under the opposite side V-rack, and back onto itself, and tied off with 2 half hitches, i guess thats a full hitch.
    i do the same on the other side.
    but i also double up with the long piece of nylon strap i have.
    i run that from one WideLoader, over the SnapDeck, to the other WiderLoader, and back onto itself, again tied with a full hitch. this way...
    when you load, and tie in this method, the V-racks are not being "pulled" apart, instead they are being "squeezed" together, with the SnapDeck in the middle.

with this method, i have not even come close to loosing a load, or even having it shift around.

so far the trip has been easy.

this morning i unloaded the Dummy, removed the wideloaders, and took off for Cedars-Sinai. the ride is easy, i decided to ride in my keen sandals, and the bike rack facility is great. a bike rack located less than 15ft away from the garage parking kiosk, right infront of the ER entrance. Hospital Staff helpful, and i feel the rig is secure.

Dylan seems to be in good condition. they extubated him lastnight, and i arrived to find him with a grin, and talking a bit.

with laptop in hand, we've been sitting here, me showing him video, and pics of the new rig. I keep prompting him to take care of himself, and get up to Monterey, where we can go ride.

if nothing else, i seem to keep emphasizing that we are products of our environments. and with that, perhaps our only Freedom of Choice is to try to choose our environments.

for my brothers, its been a lifetime of living in the Hollywood area. inner city kids all grown up with the years of lifestyle are starting to show.

so here i am, in the ICU at Cedars-Sinai
    wow...
    what an awesome hospital
    in many ways, it makes me want to go back to work...

for now... i have a new rig, that is proving to be "doable"
    i'm packed to the hilt with gear, and maybe I'll be riding north once this ordeal comes to a head.

Ventura? maybe... who's to say how i feel about going back to see my dad and grandparents... if nothing else, i can simply ride away.

peace...d
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Devo

pics

pics

big dummy in secure parking (lets hope!)

Dylan feeling better
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo
    pics

big dummy in secure parking (lets hope!)

Dylan feeling better
    Thanks for the long writeup, Devo. Glad Dylan is doing well, and that your travels with the Dummy were schmoov.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good story, really good. and proving that actually, you can take it with you*, wherever you go. And wherever you go, there you are, maybe on the streets of LA, changing a tube. Ha! Excellent attitude.

( *. . .said the Lemonheads, along with with: you can be too rich and you can be too thin).

-A

mtbr member
    Devo, glad to hear your brother is doing better. I imagine they intubated him as a precaution given the location of the surgery, to keep his airway clear incase there was swelling.

Looking forward to reading and seeing your adventures on the BD.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hey Devo, really hooked on your posts. Love all the "bohemian" life style photos you keep taunting us with. Glad your bro is doing better. I see you're adjusting to civilian life and letting your hair out. Keep the posts and pictures coming as they are all really really cool. Your "Pug's Life" thread really reeled me in. I need to find a way to add a Pug to my fleet and get it past my "significant-other". I'll keep chipping away at her. Thanks again.

Devo
    thanks for all the support, and positive feed back...
    dylan is doing a lot better.
    extubated and discharged from ICU, in a step down unit for the moment, and now its been 24hrs on a cardiac unit, now off of telemetry, so its off to another nursing unit, i think this evening.
    dylan walked up and down the halls
    talking, eating a bit, drinking enteral nutrition (chocolate Boost)

so ya... it moving right along

here's a pic of the Dummy locked up to a bike rack.
    one thing that i think i love about LA, is the MEGA SECURITY.
    that is...
    there is such a degree of necessity, that Security is almost everywhere.
    any mall you go to, Security
    Union Station... Security
    you name it.

and what does this mean to the average cyclist?
    well, from what I've experienced, Security is your friend.
    the bike rack is typically right close to the office, kiosk, or whatever it is that Security is based out of. in many ways, its like having your own personal Guard.

yesterday i stopped by a bike shop and bought a new kickstand. $6 for the stand.

but its one of those aluminum deals, that you are supposed to cut to length.
    in my opinion, I think I will end up breaking that kickstand too.

so it kind of comes down to a couple of options.
    A: be mindful of limitations, and perhaps use it with discretion. like limit the abuse i'd subject it to with payload.
    B: simply dont use the kickstand when loaded. as it is, the duffel bags are big enough to simply lay the entire rig onto the duffels.
    C: find a stronger kickstand.

but really....

from what i know of using the Xtracycle, etc...
    when things are crammed into duffels, i think its really just easier to lay the rig onto its side.

the kickstand works great when on level ground. as soon as you start to work on loading the bike, etc...
    when you are in the dirt, the ground is not level, so its a bit of consideration to place the kickstand in a spot that is actually stable.

kind of like putting the kickstand down, on a motorbike, on hot asphalt... the kickstand just digs in, and the bike tips anyways...

of course the rig naturally wants to be on the ground. so why fight it right? why precariously perch your rig onto a skinny kickstand?

so whatever about kick stands. its all of a $10 piece of equipment, so take it into context as needed.

for now, I'm suspicious of kick stands.

but they sure are nice, and your bike looks nice as its propped up by itself.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    here's a little vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzlLtpG3QIM

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

ballbuster

I wonder....

... if such a thing as a scooter style stand for bicycles? Like the double stands that you kick down and pull the bike back on it so it stand vertically on it. Like, it lifts the back wheel off the ground. I would imagine that would work out great on a bike with a big load.

Devo
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... if such a thing as a scooter style stand for bicycles? Like the double stands that you kick down and pull the bike back on it so it stand vertically on it. Like, it lifts the back wheel off the ground. I would imagine that would work out great on a bike with a big load.
    ya, they make center stands, and a variety of other types.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

A Surly Maverick
    Hey Devo,
    good to see your brother is feeling alot better !

Best wishes,
    Dr FG
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

Devo
    still rambling

notice the flame coming out the chimney

kifaru 4man tipi
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    so it looks like i have a minute or two.

i left Ventura on Xmas all in a huff, family dynamics, etc

3 months later, here i am.

at first it was just to stop by and let my dad and grandparents know that my brother Dylan is now at home, etc.

3 months has gone by, and it seems like we are getting along. the tipi is pitched in the backyard, and i'm staying the night.

maybe i'll order pizza. dad and I getting along, etc.

tmrrw i'll be leaving, heading North.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Dummy:

of what I've experienced.

ok... I have A TON of gear! Holy smokes! I mean... its crazy.
    i packed this way intentionally.
    that is... to "over pack" and try it out. 2 BOB trailer bags filled to the max.

the wiggle? uhh... well, i hate to say. its still somewhat there. I've come to discover that the big giant panniers upfront are too big. they tend to wiggle, as the junk I put in them, is somewhat loose. so that gives the bags a jiggle motion.

the rear bags... they are just huge. and a bunch of weight. i need to reduce. that will be easy.

like traditional backpacking method. I simply keep track of what i actually use. everything you pack should be at least DOUBLE functional.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the ride:

with the mega load, I've come to embrace the method of "long, low & slow".
    i dont "force" things. pick easy gears, and not necessarily "spin", and not "grind away" either. but kind of like hiking. a sort of "stride" i guess.

try to be mindful of what your doing on the bike, try not to put yourself in situations where sudden movements are limited, etc.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    I noticed the wiggle on mine, too. I do think, however, that the frame is much better on the Dummy than the Xtra. When the bike is not loaded, it is much more tolerant of out-of-saddle grinding than my Xtra/Instigator was. I found that it only started to swingin' when I intentionally put heavy loads in the bags. This makes me think that it's the V-racks that are doing most of the swingin' now.

Of course you're a skinny little bastard, Devo. I'm sure I have 100 lbs on you so I probably stress the thing a bit more without a load than you do. I can't say I've put near the cargo on mine yet, tho.

Not a big deal, when you think about what we're doing here. I mean, you just can't drive a pickup the same way as a sports car.

Man, I'm so ready for summer weather here in the north wet. I'm dreamin' about comfy camping on the Dummy up in them thar hills.
    Bikeys is good fun!

Devo
    this is the bike path over the Santa Clara River going from Ventura to Oxnard.

ok....

so pop says its like a $50M new bridge

nice bike path. i like the facility. its absolutely awesome!

but look at it.

its FULL OF TRASH!

its so.... uhhh...
    symbolic of SoCal and bicycles.

the path is barely used. its full of broken glass, and remnants of elicit activity.

sad

the roads are cleaner.

SoCal totally bites when it comes to riding a bicycle. the amount of debris is just insane. there is so much, that what i think i'd need are some kind of tyre that does not use air.

on that note....

here i am in Oxnard, waiting for AmTrak. heading home.

i also learned that its much more difficult to get OUT of the city.

that is...

there are so many people in SoCal that mass transit is packed.

i arrived to find the Coast Starlight booked full.

so its an alternate train/bus trip to Salinas.

this will put me in Salinas around 8pm, and from there about a 2hr ride back to Monterey.

all in all

the trip has been good

family dynamics are what they are, I am glad to NOT live in proximity.

and the Big Dummy with my mega load of excess is some what of a challenge when it comes to use of infrastructure. ie; trains, stairs, doorways.

security just flocks to it. i guess its the mega bags of mystery contents.

but it seems to be totally doable

this trip has been an exercise in "what is too much".

the Dummy proves to haul all that i care to pedal, and then some.

peace.....d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    home

train: Oxnard to Santa Barbara

bus: Santa Barbara to Salinas

then.... !!!

i lucked out and scored a shuttle ride from Salinas to Monterey.

Salinas to Union Station, LA $46

Oxnard to Salinas $40

Salinas to Monterey $0

camping at Leo Carillo State Park Beach, $3
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    The LA Trip
    -------------------------
    was... a total trip, how it is that I end up in SoCal so much, just blows my mind. its not the ideal place to go ride a bike, and try to enjoy some outside time camping.

none the less... i feel that the trip was a success.

Success in the aspect, that I managed to go there and back for $86
    camping was $3

and of course, I managed to actually get there, visit family, and stay with my brother until he made it home.

all with a bike.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    as to packing...

well... dylan's unexpected situation happened to coincided with the timing of the Big Dummy, the season, and good weather.

i opted to make the most of the situation, and attempt to both, visit family, and do a shake down on the Big Dummy.

shake down it was.

i am happy to report not a single complaint.
    but of course i have some thoughts...

the only mechanical issue that came up was a flat tyre. and that is not even really a mechanical problem. its a reality of riding a bike.

oh... i did break the kick stand

on kick stands...
    with the load i was carrying and using the WideLoaders, the kick stand i found to be something i opted to not use.
    that is, after i broke the original somewhere around Korea Town in LA at 9pm.

the replacement stand i bought cost $6, and for some goofy reason, it keeps loosening up. its a huge 6 or 8mm (i forget) allen bolt, and it still works loose.
    so I'm starting to view the kick stand as an annoyance.

the packing was MEGA
    I purposely over packed. there was enough clothing to handle everything but snow.
    about a weeks worth of groceries
    the smaller of my tipis... a 4 man Kifaru complete with wood burning stove

and about 3 complete sets of cycling clothing.

laptop
    lights
    batteries
    etc

even extra tyres... dirt sets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the idea was to max out the packing to experience the load, and come to an understanding of what is "too much"

and to see exactly what i actually use. how long will 1 set of cycling clothing last? basically... how long do you care to wear the same clothes?

i had extra sets of AA rechargeable batteries for the digi cam, and some lights.

again... its just excess

I even brought an extension cord, and the chargers for everything.
    and that is, laptop, iPod, headlamp(s), AA's, and cell phone.

its just crazy... way too much.

i need to figure out the light situation. its crazy to carry so much.

and of course that was the point.

to carry 2 BOB Trailer bags FULL. i think i had about 100lbs of cargo.

even the front panniers were loaded up.

of which, I think I'm gonna change back to the small set (front panniers) and put away that large (rear pannier set) set.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dummy can handle the load.

my main concerns were always the tyres!
    it seems to me that with my 180lbs and maybe the 100lbs of cargo, that tyres take a beating
    really what it is, is the crappy condition of the urban streets of SoCal.

Ventura is by far the worse. there is so much glass and debris that its amazing i didnt flat in Ventura too.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    now that I'm home, I've spent the day, pretty much just inventorying everything, and noting what i did not use. which is pretty much about 80% of the stuff i hauled.

as i whittled away the excess, I've come down to a very slim packing.
    in a backpacking sense... the cargo is still huge
    in a bicycle touring sense, its a bit much... mostly due to the luxury of the tipi and the week's worth of food i hold as a standard to pack by. of course if a route would dictate a week long series of jaunts from town to town, a week's worth of food would not be needed. however, in a "training sense", that is, in a sense of my mind, the excess in packing, the weight, the bulk, the speed, and effort, is a safe "standard" to use as a bench mark.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as to the actual gear...
    all of the stuff i used, I've used over and over time and again. all of my equipment, i commit myself to learn and understand like 2nd nature.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Most Significant Challenge

was... the bulk of the rig.
    the sheer physical size is the biggest challenge.
    getting this rig, loaded, unloaded, tied, untied, locked, unlocked, things packed, dug out, things packed in order of use... that is... priority of use in regards to particular "mode".

just getting it on the train, is a trip.
    its an unconventional size, therefore it does not fit into any "policy" at AmTrak.
    it was by pure grace of the staff that i was allowed to get the bike on. and believe me... its always me, doing the loading, unloading, lashing down, etc.

typical bikes, are supposed to be boxed up, and checked in as Checked Baggage

however, I was doing something in between the commuter mode, and Baggage.

i used a combo of AmTrak train and bus
    on the busses I simply laid the bike on its side
    the trains were a different story, as each has different facility
    going from train to bus, often has about a 10 min overlap, so you got to get with the program, and get busy. make sure you know exactly what you are doing. when it comes to transporting things thru a transit plaza.

the rig as a whole, is long, wide and heavy.
    at Union Station it could BARELY.... and i do mean BARELY fit thru the doors to get out!
    really i should have unloaded it all, etc

often times, i found myself in "Tourist mode" as I'd browse thru town, a farmers market, etc.

the rig is long and heavy. the load is relatively low. and its pretty easy to track stand.

i found myself using the granny gear a lot. a lot of granny gear and the first 4 cogs as I'd slowly ride down sidewalks, thru plaza's, up ramps, etc.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Ride on The Road

its heavy. much heavier than The Pug.
    its WIDE
    cars give you much more room... its great
    uhh...its not as easy to make you way down the shoulder, or lane split
    often times, the WideLoaders are just high enough to clear a curb. so you can run your tyres in the concrete cutter, and have the WideLoader just inches over the curb. its a sketchy move, and i dont like to do it. but i've done it every so often. its kind of difficult to gauge that distance. you really need to try this out before hand.
    I've practiced a few times at places like a mall, where there are short curbs for planter islands, and i'd simply roll the rig up to the curb to see where its at. then I'd try to keep a mental note of what that size curb looked like.

its a totally sketchy proposition.
    throw in there variables, like, night time, different city, pot holes, etc.

the weight is a trip.
    its easy to get rolling on flat
    on the slightest of downhill, it rolls.
    44x11 is pretty easy to shift into on gentle descents. i found that i was quick to utilize "momentum management", and settle into an easy spin, or a big gear, and let the rig roll along.

uphills... you'd be amazed how quickly 22x34t comes.
    be ready to grab the granny.

i found that if i was quickly shifting, and once i hit 32x the 3rd cog down, i was quick to grab the granny and 1 cog down, cuz then it was just a matter of those same quick short shifts until you settle in 22x34t.

that 34t, i was pretty comfy with. but it was pavement, in an Urban setting. not too much pitch found in LA. its not like being on a fire road, much less a trail.
    on that tangent, i often wonder of the Rohloff Hub, and if it could be geared down to be something like 22x38t or 40t.
    i can only imagine what a 20% grade with 50lbs of cargo would feel like in the dirt.

on the pave, 22x34t was adequate.

the brakes were fine. I was very pleased to not burn up a set of Avid pads. and to top it off, the pads I'm using are a stock set of Avids. I have yet to try out the Ceramic pad set(s) i have as backup.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Payload

that is, the actual lashing down of the BOB Trailer bags.

we all know about V-racks flexing and the SnapDeck popping off.

lashing the bags from a WideLoader to the opposite V-rack, makes everything "pull together", and the SnapDeck being squeezed in between.

i've also learned to NOT use the FreeLoaders.
    its a trap! dont fall into the trap of using the FreeLoaders to try to lash down a set of full BOB Trailer bags.
    FreeLoaders are great for smaller things. they like to swing around. you really need to SQUEEZE your Payload AGAINST the rig.
    the straps of the FreeLoaders snap together on the opposite side too...
    so you can place things on the deck, and use the straps of the FreeLoaders to reach across, and lash things down.
    this is actually about the best use of the FreeLoaders at this point.

i use a LongLoader on the non-drive side.
    i place a BOB trailer bag onto the non-drive side WideLoader.... FIRST
    and push it up close to the LongLoader, as to use it as a "bump stop" of sorts.
    from the WideLoader, I use 1 long length of Nylon strap (of which i want to buy more of, and try more ideas)
    and run it to the opposite side V-rack. run the strap under the V-rack, up and over the snapdeck, and then back down the WideLoader, but now, further back on the WideLoader, under and around, then back to the V-rack on the same side, but now at the back.

the drive side, i load with a BOB trailer bag
    and use 2 of the nylon straps that come with the FreeRadical Kit.
    those 2 straps i use each, front and rear, run them under and over the opposite side V-rack

this effectively puts all the "Squeeze" into the Frame of the Big Dummy and the XtraCycle racks.

I've been loading and unloading this rig (xtracycle racks) for about 2yrs now. and the above method is what i have found to be the easiest. use 1/2 hitch & full hitch knots. or "trucker's knots" as my dad taught me.

*BOB trailer bags: i found the best way to load them is to put the "bottom" of the bag against the frame of the BD, and the yellow end facing rear. makes for nice big yellow caution signs. yellow and black reflective safety tape is good too.

however....

I have my thoughts, and ideas of how to load a rig, and I'm working on it.
    look forward to some kind of funky video coming...
    something like... "how to tie cargo to your cargo bike"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as to WideLoaders with Cargo

often the Payload is large enough to simply lay the rig onto its payload. dont even use the kick stand. just lean it over, and let it be.

Cargo often is large enough to change your mental approach to "loading"
    that is...
    for instance... there you have your cargo bike, on the kick stand, sitting there nice and stable like.
    now you have a 50lb bag to put on it...
    now try 2 bags

in the land of cars, and everything else we do, we typically put things onto things or into them.

i've found that often its easier if you tie the straps or rope first, lay it down, and place the cargo ontop of the straps, then pull the cargo and bike together.

if the cargo is large enough and heavy enough, its more like putting the bike up against your payload, and then pivoting the rig up onto its tyres, and flopping over onto the the other side to repeat the process, and hopefully having things fairly balanced.

obviously you place the cargo close to the bike. avoid having to pick up and place the cargo "onto" the bike. simply put the cargo close to the bike, and pull it all together with rope.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the trip was somewhat tiring.
    the AmTrak staff and the hustle bustle of the city, was crammed, fast, and somewhat rude.

going from Salinas to Union Station was easy. the bus was empty, the train was empty, the staff was courteous and helpful
    in Oxnard, the train was full, so i had to wait until 2pm. which was a 4 hour wait. so i simply rode around, and found myself eating pastries at a Farmer's Market.
    the train was not what i rode the time before.
    the Conductors gave me a little bit of grief. kind of like Drill Sergeants. luckily i was in the Army so i know how to respond to "Authority". and i luckily got things to work.
    in Santa Barbara I had to jump from the train onto a bus. both the bus and train were packed.
    on the bus, the BD goes on its side underneath. so its off with the wide loaders in a hurry. so you need to be very proficient and speedy at lashing and unlashing, your cargo, and reconfiguring the Xtracycle racks.

when the train stopped, the bus was waiting and people were already loading.
    the WideLoaders came off, when i got off the train. as the train still had another stop to go, therefore, its stop was BRIEF... so its grab your stuff, and GET OFF

i had 2 large BOB trailer bags the BD and 2 panniers to get across a transit plaza. i simply removed the WideLoaders, put them in the FreeLoaders, but both BOB trailer bags on the SnapDeck, sideways, panniers on the front rack, and then walked the rig to the bus. none of it was lashed down... wheel barrel mode.
    at the bus, i laid the BD on its non-drive side,with the bottoms of the tyres against the bus's framing, facing forward, as to anticipate, the force of braking being greater than the acclerations, and placed the BOB trailer bags behind the BD. you can see the pic(s) in the other posting.

when i hit Salinas it was after 8pm, and i was preparing to ride home, which i was thinking was another 2hr ride. so it was to reconfigure the BD with all the junk, lash things down, break out the lights, and get ready to roll thru the night.

then...

someone calls out for anyone going to Monterey!

SCORE!

i ended up getting a shuttle ride, to Monterey, ultimately being less than 2 miles from home.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

like i was saying...

the trip was definitely "A TRIP"

peace....d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    some video
    http://www.asanacycles.com/vid/from_malibu.html

&

http://www.asanacycles.com/vid/big_dummy_in_la.html

gee... i just gave The Pug a new drivetrain. the last one was in May. so that set lasted less than 1 year. all new chainrings, chain, and cogset. found out that the BB needs replacing too...

too many bikes, i think...

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

Hecho en Watsonville

took the BD up to Sunset State Beach yesterday.
    spent the night in the tipi...
    fire place and all....
    cook right on the stove... little to no dishes

today went and picked up something special!
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    There it is.
    I was wondering when you'd finally get it.

Don't leave us hanging too long...
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Devo
    thats the tipi...
    that aint new...
    i happened across the stove instructions for 2001 stove models

now i know I'm getting old... when something like 7 years just flys by.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    this is new...
    Hunter 29er
    with all braze-ons
    also got a rigid fork for it.

Hecho en Watsonville

I'll probably start building this tmrrw....

:-)

holy smokes! its so crazy swank!
    Last edited by SelfPropelledDevo; 03-28-2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: edit picture
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Very nice!
    Just when we all thought you were down-sizing. There must be a story there.
    Bikeys is good fun!

Lighten up.
    Um Hmmm... I thought you were downsizing, too. Instead, you've reminded us ALL that this addiction is like a freight train. It stops for no man.

Devo...I notice that you only use the BOB bags with the Wideloader...true? Are they just too darn big to fit on the regular Longtail Kit rack...or completely unable to attach to the Longtail Kit rack?

mtbr member

Frame

[QUOTE=SelfPropelledDevo]thats the tipi...
    that aint new...
    QUOTE]

I wasn't referring to the Tipi...
    I was talking about the new frame. Right away I knew what it was.

I was wondering if you were still getting it.
    Looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast