mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Daughter's first bike ride

My son rode the iBert on other bikes for maybe 8 months til he outgrew it- I think from like age 2ish to 3? Which was fine because when he turned 3 he was pedaling on his own without training wheels- but I really liked the time we spent on the iBert, so I made sure I didn't start my daughter on it too late.

Today, since it was a balmy 45 degrees F, we decided to mount the iBert to the BD and go for a ride. She is 18 months old, I wasn't sure if she would like it or not, but after about 15 seconds, she went "weeeeee!" and then I knew we were cool.

She actually got super bummed when we dismounted to go into a grocery store.

Overall, with one in front and one behind, it was ok, except for mounting/dismounting. I forgot until I was underway that on my Long Haul Trucker, I used a setback seatpost, and Nitto Albatross bars with the iBert, which was a lot easier. At the very least, I should put some Open Bars or something on the BD if I want to continue using the iBert. She needs a properly fitting helmet too, I know!

Although... I might just be better off moving the Yepp to the back of the bike, and getting my son a cushion/handlebar to hold onto.

But the iBert is so fun though... hmm.

Anyways, a nice reprieve from the cold weather!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Clueless Bastard
    Totally cool to take the kids for a cruise. Nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, luckily my 2 kids also love bike rides. My plan is to put the 1.5 year old in the Yepp mounted at the back and 4 year old on a cushion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Although... I might just be better off moving the Yepp to the back of the bike, and getting my son a cushion/handlebar to hold onto.
    I'll second that thought, XJaredX. Your boy is HUGE in that Yepp seat! I put my 3.5 year old on the back of my dummy with foot pegs and handlebars, and she loved it. Didn't even need a cushion (on the list to make this year). I kept the seat on the back for my 2 year old. THey were like this when we started out about 18 months ago...
    Name:  9318.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  89.2 KB

Doing even better now... the youngest is just about 3, although not yet tall enough for her Gremlin...

Nice seeing you around the forums again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    super cool! Post more pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Yeah, luckily my 2 kids also love bike rides. My plan is to put the 1.5 year old in the Yepp mounted at the back and 4 year old on a cushion.
    I was riding by myself when I was four (with training wheels). Has your 4 year old gone on any rides of his/her own yet?

dadamamabooboo
    Oh such fun! Here's my 3 yo boo on her i-Bert bike seat in pink at home, and a green rental out in Santa Barbara together with momma. I'll include some video links later here or on a new thread of us riding it..I've got hours of raw video I've edited into 5-10 minute videos for upload to youtube. Only a parent could watch hours of their own kid riding..so a few minutes for everyone else is plenty right? The last is her newest bike..had been riding a 12" Huffy, but I found a really cool Specialized Hotrock 16" I couldn't pass up!

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  55.7 KBName:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  57.1 KBName:  photo.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  51.4 KBName:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  51.1 KB
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er 21", SRAM 9-sp X5, X5 RD, SRAM X7 20(oval)/36 & Shimano Deore FD, HG-61 custom 9-sp 11-36, M525 hub

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Daughter's first bike ride

Great job dads! Some of my favorite cycling memories include my daughters. First the oldest on a trail a bike and the other two in a trailer behind that. I called it the "B- Train" (2 points of articulation) A now on their own bikes with the chocolate lab keeping pace with the one in the lead and me bringing up the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightlinerbob View Post
    Great job dads! Some of my favorite cycling memories include my daughters. First the oldest on a trail a bike and the other two in a trailer behind that. I called it the "B- Train" (2 points of articulation) A now on their own bikes with the chocolate lab keeping pace with the one in the lead and me bringing up the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice! I always wondered what it was like to pedal a bike train like that, haha
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Over the summer, we did end up going to a new setup. After this pic was taken we got the XtraCycle Mini Magic Carpet cushion for my son, and bar ends as foot pegs as evandy recommended.

Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

YYZ
    mtbr member
    This is awesome! Such a great idea. Would of never thought that you could pile more than 2 bodies on a bike. Seems like you guys had a great time!