mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Daughter's first bike ride

My son rode the iBert on other bikes for maybe 8 months til he outgrew it- I think from like age 2ish to 3? Which was fine because when he turned 3 he was pedaling on his own without training wheels- but I really liked the time we spent on the iBert, so I made sure I didn't start my daughter on it too late.

Today, since it was a balmy 45 degrees F, we decided to mount the iBert to the BD and go for a ride. She is 18 months old, I wasn't sure if she would like it or not, but after about 15 seconds, she went "weeeeee!" and then I knew we were cool.

She actually got super bummed when we dismounted to go into a grocery store.

Overall, with one in front and one behind, it was ok, except for mounting/dismounting. I forgot until I was underway that on my Long Haul Trucker, I used a setback seatpost, and Nitto Albatross bars with the iBert, which was a lot easier. At the very least, I should put some Open Bars or something on the BD if I want to continue using the iBert. She needs a properly fitting helmet too, I know!

Although... I might just be better off moving the Yepp to the back of the bike, and getting my son a cushion/handlebar to hold onto.

But the iBert is so fun though... hmm.

Anyways, a nice reprieve from the cold weather!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Clueless Bastard
    Totally cool to take the kids for a cruise. Nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, luckily my 2 kids also love bike rides. My plan is to put the 1.5 year old in the Yepp mounted at the back and 4 year old on a cushion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Although... I might just be better off moving the Yepp to the back of the bike, and getting my son a cushion/handlebar to hold onto.
    I'll second that thought, XJaredX. Your boy is HUGE in that Yepp seat! I put my 3.5 year old on the back of my dummy with foot pegs and handlebars, and she loved it. Didn't even need a cushion (on the list to make this year). I kept the seat on the back for my 2 year old. THey were like this when we started out about 18 months ago...
    Name:  9318.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  89.2 KB

Doing even better now... the youngest is just about 3, although not yet tall enough for her Gremlin...

Nice seeing you around the forums again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    super cool! Post more pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Yeah, luckily my 2 kids also love bike rides. My plan is to put the 1.5 year old in the Yepp mounted at the back and 4 year old on a cushion.
    I was riding by myself when I was four (with training wheels). Has your 4 year old gone on any rides of his/her own yet?