mtbr member

Be creative, win a new Yuba

Yuba is having a contest with the prize being their new "Boda Boda" cargo cruiser.

All you have to do is draw a picture of what you think it will look like. If you're close, you could win.

What does a Boda Boda Look Like? | What a Bicycle can do!

Good luck.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member

Good job! Wow

This is cool. can't wait to see it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I kind think its guna be a dutch style long bike with the cargo up front... just a guess but then I prefer that style bike over the cargo in the rear bikes.

mtbr member
    Short-wheelbase Mundo. Similar to the Kona Min-Ute or Specialized City Cargo.

Most of the accessories from the Mundo would work except the deck and bags. Seat pad and kid seat capacity reduced from 2 to 1.

That's what I'm going to draw, so nobody else enter that!

mtbr member
    Anyone else submit an idea? Here's my amazingly artistic rendering in MS Paint:

It's ok to be jealous. Don't steal my design though, enter your own!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    To me the clue is in the name. At first I thought it was referring to boda, Spanish for feminine, hence bodacious, which got me thinking about ...

Ahem. Coming back to the topic, it turns out boda-boda is a bicycle taxi in Kenya & Uganda looking something like this

mtbr member
    Lots of similar bikes in Africa:

The Bike | World Bicycle Relief

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Found some pics of it, I can't post pics yet so if someone could go to this flickr page and post em it would be appreciated. flickr.com/photos/29345328@N03/7394514702/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olasher View Post
    Found some pics of it, I can't post pics yet so if someone could go to this flickr page and post em it would be appreciated. flickr.com/photos/29345328@N03/7394514702/
    Here it is:

Yuba Boda Boda by joe-bike, on Flickr
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member

I was closer than I though!

ETA: those images did not look that big on the iPad! Sorry, resized...
    Last edited by slimhazy; 06-23-2012 at 01:47 PM.

mtbr member
    I want one, I can tell my wife its for her. I wonder how much it is. Whats up with that seat though? The bike has its own website, its not on the regular yuba site. Boda Boda Cargo Cruiser | Home page | Just another WordPress site
    Last edited by Lone Desert Walker; 06-23-2012 at 09:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    I want one, I can tell my wife its for her. I wonder how much it is. Whats up with that seat though? The bike has its own website, its not on the regular yuba site. Boda Boda Cargo Cruiser | Home page | Just another WordPress site

They are a grand. Really nice, I want one too. Husband will adopt my Mundo and I will ride this- we can do all our hauling and live simple. I have more pics on my blog Looks good being ridden, gives you a sense of the style and size.
    You Ain't Got Jack: It's Bodafull- pictures of Yuba's NEW Boda Boda

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    OMG I WON! So frekin excited I had to share!

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAin'tGotJack View Post
    OMG I WON! So frekin excited I had to share!
    Nice work.

My wife has her eye on the step through, but there's a few things that are turning me off.

Threaded headset and fork? C'mon, this is 2012, threaded stems haven't been easy to find for years (as in, walk into the shop and find 17 alternatives easy)

Rear disc mount? Don't see one, and if we are going to use it to move kids and heavy loads, rim brakes are out, especially for riders who have smaller/weaker hands. Might be there and I can't see it.

Single ring with no front dérailleur? I get the pricepoint issue, but again, if it's loaded and she's got to get uphill, she'll be walking with the stock build. My wife only weighs 130lbs, she can't generate the power to move heavy loads without the gearing advantage.

Aluminum frame without a replaceable hanger? Can't see one.

I get that this is a pricepoint bike, but if they had included a few more features on the base frameset, it'd be more versatile and upgradable and easier to build with more commonly available parts. The size of the bike is nice, between a regular bike and a dummy, but too many corners cut IMHO.

Anybody know if they're available as a frameset only? Doesn't solve all the issues, but it's the only way I'd end up with one.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Nice work.

My wife has her eye on the step through, but there's a few things that are turning me off.

Threaded headset and fork? C'mon, this is 2012, threaded stems haven't been easy to find for years (as in, walk into the shop and find 17 alternatives easy)

Rear disc mount? Don't see one, and if we are going to use it to move kids and heavy loads, rim brakes are out, especially for riders who have smaller/weaker hands. Might be there and I can't see it.

Single ring with no front dérailleur? I get the pricepoint issue, but again, if it's loaded and she's got to get uphill, she'll be walking with the stock build. My wife only weighs 130lbs, she can't generate the power to move heavy loads without the gearing advantage.

Aluminum frame without a replaceable hanger? Can't see one.

I get that this is a pricepoint bike, but if they had included a few more features on the base frameset, it'd be more versatile and upgradable and easier to build with more commonly available parts. The size of the bike is nice, between a regular bike and a dummy, but too many corners cut IMHO.

Anybody know if they're available as a frameset only? Doesn't solve all the issues, but it's the only way I'd end up with one.

Plum
    Sorry I don't know the answers to most of your questions- still learning about the technical stuff- but thought you might like to see this - http://bodabodabike.com/wp-content/u...13.numbers.pdf

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAin'tGotJack View Post
    Sorry I don't know the answers to most of your questions- still learning about the technical stuff- but thought you might like to see this - http://bodabodabike.com/wp-content/u...13.numbers.pdf
    I saw that. Low gear of 38/32. I use a 32/34 on my dummy and I still have a bailout granny ring. 38/32 is pretty high for a bike that is supposed to be loaded.

Everything on it is perfectly functional as it sits, no question. But upgrading from there to make it haul more easily, stronger, lighter, stop better or anything else looks like it'll be limited by te frameset, which is a shame.

My wife would be using this daily as her commuter and having the ability to pick up a kid now and then would be handy, but I'd want to start with a bare frame. If the derailleur hanger isn't replaceable, then that's a deal breaker for an aluminum bike. If it's not disc compatible for the rear wheel, that's probably a deal breaker too. Everything else I can correct..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nice work Lindsay.

For those that don't know, the name comes from the bicycle taxies that provide border-to-border ("boda boda") transportation through the no-cars-allowed buffer zones that exist between some African States. The young men that power them offer thier services by shouting "Boda Boda" to people struggling to carry luggage, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE=gumby_kevbo;9460903]Nice work Lindsay.

For those that don't know, the name comes from the bicycle taxies that provide border-to-border ("boda boda") transportation through the no-cars-allowed buffer zones that exist between some African States. The young men that power them offer thier services by shouting "Boda Boda" to people struggling to carry luggage, etc.[/QUOTE

Thanks Kevbo- hey maybe I will yell "boda boda" anytime I see someone struggling to carry their groceries home lol