mtbr member
    May 2007

A couple of Big Dummy action shots with custom kid cage.

I just built this up a few weeks ago, and so far it's been a blast. I think my daughter and I have over 300 miles on it since Memorial Day Weekend. She will soon be 2.5yo and is in love with this ride. She has spent many hundred miles in a trailer, both behind a fixie and Fargo. We have even done some decent mountain biking with her in a trailer. Now that she is part of the ride and can talk to me, her love for riding has really blossomed.

I saw a picture once on a Google image search of a custom cage. I could never find it again, but I made something similar as to what I saw. It's not going to protect her hands, but it helps keep her on the bike. Especially at 38mph going down Lookout Mtn in Chattanooga TN. Even at that speed, she was yelling for me to go faster. I have even caught her sleeping, or at times laying down with her feet on the bars. If you look close, you can see a lap belt that installed for her too.

We use it to commute to work for me and her for preschool. On the weekends we ride around Nashville to the parks and special events.

I have more bikes than days of the week, and most cost more than a decent car. This bike, bar none, has been the best investment so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A couple of Big Dummy action shots with custom kid cage.-photo-5-.jpg  

A couple of Big Dummy action shots with custom kid cage.-photo-6-.jpg  

A couple of Big Dummy action shots with custom kid cage.-41832ddf-28d1-4ad6-bfd9-01bf627aa862.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Look great! Fantastic job.

How did you bend the pipe? Standard plumber's pipe bender? Something else?

PRETENDURO
    Nice J-class 4-8-4 in the picture! That was a beast of a steam locomotive (well, before the 4-6-6-4 Challenger and the 4-8-8-4 Big Boy came into being).
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey there, I have a BD also. My 3 1/2 yr old daughter and I use it all the time. What kickstand are you using?

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by jalexl View Post
    Hey there, I have a BD also. My 3 1/2 yr old daughter and I use it all the time. What kickstand are you using?
    Looks to be the centerstand. I sold mine and put the stock single-side kickstand back on. The centerstand was nice when the bike was fully loaded, but it was difficult to disengage at times.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I like this idea. So far my 3.5 year old has been holding a stroker bar with a custom janky fabricated set of foot pegs made from old wood bits I had laying around... There is a decent shot of it at the start of this video. I'd feel better on rougher trails with something around the sides of her...

Thanksgiving 2013 - Hazel, Thomas, and Callum on the big dummies. from adam roberts on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Wow, that is just too cool. Not sure about going 40mph with my kid on the back, but I really like the cage you built. Makes me really want to get a BD.

mtbr member
    Excellent! Sweet! His and hers dummies. I could only dream. Great video, this is certainly Passion.