Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chris King Hubs

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Chris King Hubs

Price for a set of Chris King Hubs for my BD build will run 568.00 and free shipping.
    Would you spend this much for a set of hubs?It would be nice to know you have the best hubs out here but man the price but I guess you get what you pay right.Has any one else spent this much for hubs on there BD or am I spending to much?

mtbr member
    Every body who put a rohloff on there BD spent almost 2 X that for "just" the rear hub.

And I for one and happy I did
    One pedal goes down
    the other goes up
    bike goes forward
    smile

Bryan Keener
    HPV research since 1984

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Keener you are so right I forget about that part on a BD.Well guess it's time to save a little more money you know what they say easy come easy go.Man the money I am spending on my new ride oh well it's mine and my last build too so I know I will have a lot of fun on this BD.Thanks for your input.This has help me out more than you know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I would say that if you want something nicer than standard XT hubs, look at DT Swiss. With the cheap 32 pawl upgrade added, they are just as nice as Kings and cheaper (IMO). I have XT on my BD and Fargo, I have Kings on my La Cruz and DT Swiss 240s on my Dos Niner.

mtbr member
    I love my kings man. Best hubs I've had and they are easy to service

PRETENDURO
    I just bought a Hope II rear hub to replace an ailing Shimano XT rear hub (less than 300 miles and itís doing the naughty pawl thing), $212, yes, I am learning the hard way; ought probably have gone the Chris King route instead.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I just bought a Hope II rear hub to replace an ailing Shimano XT rear hub (less than 300 miles and itís doing the naughty pawl thing), $212, yes, I am learning the hard way; ought probably have gone the Chris King route instead.
    Man I hate to hear that about the Hope pro 2 hubs I was thinking about them too.But just a few more dollars and I can have what I hope to be the best hub out here.How much weight do you have your BD loaded up with? I have heard only good things about the Hope pro 2 could it be your chain line is out to far? My LHT was like that until I went with a 118mm BB it came with a 117mm BB stock.Let me know what you find out about your hubs.My LBS was little help with my LHT so that alone made me learn how to work on my bikes after I learn it is now so easy and I feel so much better that I don't need any help on doing work on it.Hope you get your hub problem work out soon I am like you I hate to wast money over and over but like you I am learning too.Good luck man.
    Last edited by kdc1956; 09-29-2011 at 09:14 PM.

What It Be ?
    I have a set on my Air9 worth every penny I think.....my commuter has some beat to death no name Specalized road wheels.

aka DummyDiva
    Quote Originally Posted by Keener View Post
    Every body who put a rohloff on there BD spent almost 2 X that for "just" the rear hub.
    But offset, some, by not having to buy shifters and derailleurs.

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Love my kings, especially helpful with a low bottom bracket when you need to "ratchet" up some technical climbs where big pedal strokes are not possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTwanksta View Post
    Love my kings, especially helpful with a low bottom bracket when you need to "ratchet" up some technical climbs where big pedal strokes are not possible.
    'Cause when I'm ratcheting a technical climb, it's almost always on my cargo bike.

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sfuller View Post
    'Cause when I'm ratcheting a technical climb, it's almost always on my cargo bike.
    Sorry for the bad terminology..

Wanderer
    I have 2 sets of King hubs and love them.

One set is old, the classic version and a set of the ISOs.

Yes they are pricey but if you appreciate well engineered items that last and are user rebuildable then they are well worth the money.

They are safe to buy used as well if you can find a decently priced set.

mtbr member
    I've recently discovered the lightweight, high quality White Industry hubs. They are competetive with weight and for the price you can't beat them for high quality, made in USA hubs.
    I've had a few king hubs. They are nice but pricy, and I feel like I was always working on them.
    My favorite hubs are phils but they are even more expensive.

mtbr member
    White Ind are my favourite for road - best combination of quality weight and price. Haven't tried the MTB hubs though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    I've recently discovered the lightweight, high quality White Industry hubs. They are competetive with weight and for the price you can't beat them for high quality, made in USA hubs.
    I've had a few king hubs. They are nice but pricy, and I feel like I was always working on them.
    My favorite hubs are phils but they are even more expensive.
    Thanks for the heads up I have look into the White Ind Hubs and they are not to bad of a price For the MTB Hub in black is about 255.00 about half of a King Hub Now I need to do a real good search about them before I make up my mind what next hubs I will be buying.Thanks for all the input ever one put in to this forum.

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up I have look into the White Ind Hubs and they are not to bad of a price For the MTB Hub in black is about 255.00 about half of a King Hub Now I need to do a real good search about them before I make up my mind what next hubs I will be buying.Thanks for all the input ever one put in to this forum.
    White makes a tandem rated hub too, I think it's the M16. Would be worth the premium over the regular model IMHO, all you can do to get beef in the rear hub is worth it. My XT's have been fine so far, but are probably the weak link in my drivetrain..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Aloha,

Have you considered buying a used wheel set and dismantling and building up with the new spokes and rims?

There are a lot of options out there when it comes to excellent hubs. I have been using Kings for many years on many of my builds. It's very muddy and wet here in Hawaii and I have yet to ever replace a bearing on any of the hubs. But yes, they are very expensive.

Good luck with the decision and search.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I own a over 10 year old front
    and yet to sevice it
    and I pull big heavy loads
    like this
    homemade bike trailer in lovetrain action handmade bicycle trailers - YouTube

rear is spot first year disk

and never had to service either!
    see my other vids for more trailers

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcain View Post
    I own a over 10 year old front
    and yet to sevice it
    and I pull big heavy loads
    like this
    homemade bike trailer in lovetrain action handmade bicycle trailers - YouTube

rear is spot first year disk

and never had to service either!
    see my other vids for more trailers
    I love it when people buy nice stuff and neglect it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Whats the first thing people do to there cargo bike

Over load it! Not good for high performance hubs! I have broken XT hubs at the cassette and would recommend a Phil Wood for more weight carrying or use mid level hubs and repair as needed, cheaper.

Multiple Lines Rock
    industry nines for me..tho no cargo bike experience, here is my findings:

There ia huge difference in engagement, depending on how and what you ride it can be worth the extra $400. I have had $100 hubs, no more tho. I ride alot of AM, XC and some DH.

fwiw, Have had or currently own Hope, Shimano XTR, Hadley, I9, and Chris King.

CK's are pretty reliable, tho in my experience they have more drag than any other of my wheels, unless I go really light on the preload, which induces a ever so slight wobble. When preloaded correctly(by me or even my lbs), they have more drag that I like, tho its negligible on the trail. The XTR stuff had the shortest over all life, ie. after 6 years the races in the hubshell were pitted. My hadley is on year 7. Same as new.

My I9s have the least complexity and a few bearings and can be serviced at home easily. Not so with the kings. I havent had to touch my hadley or i9. King needs a periodic bearing adjustment even after 4 years of 'break in'.

Would I buy CK again yes but I'd put I9s first. XTR? no. Cleaning the freehub on XTR is a pain.

That said, Hadley, I9 and Chris King are worth every penny if you ask me.
    Last edited by Acrophobe; 11-29-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nugjug View Post
    Over load it! Not good for high performance hubs! I have broken XT hubs at the cassette and would recommend a Phil Wood for more weight carrying or use mid level hubs and repair as needed, cheaper.
    Yeah, cargo bikes should really be using tandem rear hubs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Check out Hadley's...American made goodness!
    Mountain biking never gets easier... You just get faster

100+ wheel-build club
    I'm already too nervous leaving my BD anywhere with full XT on it, I use two u-locks and a cable w/padlock for the Brooks saddle. Putting a $600 pair of hubs on it would make my hair fall out, and break out in blisters! By all means buy some Chris King or DT or Hope hubs, but put them on your niner.
    "Go that way REAL FAST, if something gets in your way... turn".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast