Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Changing a tire on the road

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bikeolounger 
#1 ·
My Yuba Mundo has a 15 mm nut on the front wheel and a 19mm nut on the back wheel.
The way the frame/derailleur crowds the nut on the back prevents me from using an adjustable wrench--I need either a box wrench or a socket wrench.

I'd like to minimize the hardware I carry with me on the bike.

Is there such a thing as a box wrench that is 15mm on one end and 19mm on the other I haven't been able to find one.

Any suggestions?

#4 ·
I'm not familiar with the Yuba Mundo (I own a Surly Big Dummy)-is it possible to just use quick-release skewers or maybe use those hex-head axle nuts instead?
The Yuba uses a 14mm rear axle (I think--don't have one of my own), and it is solid. I don't know of a quick-release axle that will be compatible, although I suppose one could find a machine shop and get one drilled and cut to proper length. 14mm is or was a popular axle diameter for trick bikes.

Ratchet head and a couple of sockets seems a good solution, or, as has already been suggested, take a wrench of each size and cut/weld.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.