mtbr member
    Jan 2013

cargo trailer/bike cot build; need axle advice?

OK so I got this lounger thing; its aluminum, 1 1/8 OD for the most part; got steel springs and straps in the pic; got them removed; also decided to ditch cantilevering two front forks off the rear; due to the likelihood of permanently bending the rear legs and thus ending up with a wrecked trailer... anyways; I recently acquired two wheelchair wheels; no axles, but they are marked for 7/16" axle bolts....here is what the chair looked like before;

what I am attempting to do is make a cheap version of THIS;

as for the hitch; it will be a form of goose-neck to the seat post area; using a donor bike frame's top tube and head tube, with a cut fork, attached to the cross bar at the front with the handlebar stem; and with a caster wheel at the seat post for two axis pivoting, while the cut fork provides the turning pivot...

I am thinking for the axle, solid 7/16 steel rod should be OK, with threaded ends? or should I try to find 5-6" long carriage bolts with long enough smooth shanks?
    these are the wheels I have; and if anyone;s questioning the strength of the aluminum framing material; well; I've slept in the thing several times, without wheels on; and it's held up to me just fine...and there's reinforcement in the hollow legs for the axle to pass through
    CamoDeafie's Tactical gear and bike-packing blog-
    http://sbtactical.wordpress.com/

Cycle Psycho
    I realize you've slept on it while stationary, but that chair will crack all over the place, once you introduce road vibrations added to the weight of a body. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to look out so you don't wast too much time and end up disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    I realize you've slept on it while stationary, but that chair will crack all over the place, once you introduce road vibrations added to the weight of a body. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to look out so you don't wast too much time and end up disappointed.
    well yeah... thanks for alerting me to potential hazards I've been looking at the African Ambulance plans and noticed they're all made of STEEL....as opposed to aluminum...that said; I took the frame apart, and I think for a light cargo system, just attach a wood deck or something similar to the leg portion which is basically a U shaped piece bent so that the front leg is an U, and the back have two legs...and two crossmembers to hold the deck...also; instead of a solid axle, I found at the scrapyard, a couple of M10x1.5 100mm bolts and nuts that fit the axle holes perfectly...even though the axle bearing says 7/16th....this will be sufficient for a cargo trailer that is no more than 50 pounds loaded? I however will be looking for steel loungers and similar, or getting a friend to build a similar steel framed cot thing that can use army cot covers, more like this; using rear suspension triangles and smaller wheels...(think that works?)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    took the frame apart; and drilled holes for the axle bolts, and installed wheels, moved a cross member closer to rear so as to provide a cargo bed for a suitcase; here is what it looks like for now; will work on the hitch when I can. not sure if a "gooseneck" type will work with this trailer design, so am looking at Bikes At Works' trailer hitch designs for ideas... I think for a light duty trailer, this would be OK ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    my best & burliest... and simplest trailer (which has carried over 200lb, and traveled nearly 1000miles) is built from two bike frames stripped bare and a 2x4 (wood) carved round on the ends and hammered through the empty bottom brackets. There is more to it than that- but the 2x4 is the ticket!