mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Cargo Bike - which model can I mount a long handle for tools along the down tube

Hi Folks,

I have a Free Radical attached to my old Wheeler MTB. I do a garden help (mostly for older folks), and I currently mount the handles for my Wolf-Garten Multihead tools - along the side of my top tube and under the deck of my free radical.

It works but I'm keen on a cargo bike frame which will allow me to run the same handles (one runs to 1.6m - the one which I attach lopers and pruning saw) if space allows along the down tube, so that I get an easier mount/dismount - and a more rigid frame. The free radical gets flexy, with all tools loaded, and I often load up with shopping/beer on way home or items such as wheel barrow wheels, books i get given, pruned back trees or potted trees.

I've looked at images/geometry charts on the web of the Yuba (avail. in Aust), Big Dummy and the edgerunner (which I think - like my free radical maybe too expensive - though I have invested in wide loaders and u-tubes for the free radical).

Anyone have a similar set up, or able to test mount a couple of handles too see if either is suitable? My rides range from 5km to 15km one way for clients. I have attached a photo, or two. Cargo Bike - which model can I mount a long handle for tools along the down tube-img_20141112_173226.jpgCargo Bike - which model can I mount a long handle for tools along the down tube-img_20141112_173247.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

oops it should have read run long handles along a sloping top tubes NOT down tube!

Damn sorry folks - sorry late night posting- just re-read what I wrote. Mean to say that I was looking to see if could mount long handles on the lower stand over sloping top tubes to back of cargo bike on yuba, edgerunner or big dummy. what a clutz

apologies - gee i must have read like a goose. how this makes sense now.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I don't see a Big Dummy or Yuba Mundo working out any better than your current set up. I'd look at two options:

- Trailer:

- Cetma, Metrofiet, Cycletruck, etc. (more expensive option):

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HungryLegs View Post
    Damn sorry folks - sorry late night posting- just re-read what I wrote. Mean to say that I was looking to see if could mount long handles on the lower stand over sloping top tubes to back of cargo bike on yuba, edgerunner or big dummy. what a clutz

apologies - gee i must have read like a goose. how this makes sense now.

Cheers
    Looks like you already have a good solution. I think any longtail would work about the same, albeit less flexy. Edgerunner deck would be a bit lower. I assume you know about the xtracycle long loader attachment already (keeps long loads out of your pedal stroke)?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks NordicNorm and 2:01,

Sorry for very late replies. Been under the pump, but nothing to do with bicycle tyres.

I have pulled by Dahon Candanza into temporary service with my free radical. It has sloping top tube and slots my tool handles fine, gives me a lower leg through over but still if not a bit more flexy with heavy load.

Yep, have the long loader which works fine to a point, but still get the flex on free radical and looking to get everything as tight in as possible.

I had opportunity to send some emails to the cargo bike companies, including Mundo and fortunately had the opportunity at the nearest big city to mimic somewhat my mounting of handles, and even got a short test ride on the Mundo.

Pretty sure for me the Mundo will work out. So pursuing that at moment, as cargo bikes few and very far between in my part of the world. Edge Runners I reckon will be out of my budget and yet stocked here.

20:1 Trailer looks good, maybe an option down the track. Full Mundo though will help me squeeze through the traffic, and gates.