biking where I'm going
    Jun 2012

Cardboard hauling

I am the service manager at a small bike shop. One of my duties has become hauling the broken-down boxes that accumulate in our little shed to the recycling intake center.

I've made three trips doing this in the six or eight months I've been at this store. The first time, I naively thought I'd be hauling a couple hundred pounds of cardboard, only to find that I had pulled four hundred sixty pounds of flattened boxes!

The second time, I hauled a "mere" four hundred pounds.

This time, though, was a personal record, and one I'm happy to leave as a record for a while (although if I break it, I won't be upset).

Five hundred pounds of cardboard. Yes, a quarter-ton of flattened boxes, on one Bikes at Work 96AW trailer (it's rated at 300#, but users report loads up to 500# in service from time to time).

If I keep doing this, I may have to consider upgrading my trailer to the ADW version, with dual wheels, dual fenders, and beefed-up front crossmember.

I briefly considered getting another module to add to my trailer, to make it even longer. I know how to drive with long trailers, so bicycling with one wouldn't be a big mental adjustment. I even thought of getting another axle module, so that my trailer would have tandem axles, until I remembered the concept of "scrub," meaning what the tires of one (or both) axles would do going around tight corners. The scrub on a heavily loaded 128ATW (to use the Bikes at Work model designation scheme to describe such a trailer) would make it VERY difficult to pull the trailer.

Here's what a quarter-ton of cardboard looks like:

And the scale slip:

Getting where I'm going--by bicycle!

1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nicely done!

mtbr member
    Awesome job!! So nice to see cargo bikes being used out there. I regularly commute with mine here, rain or shine. It's not the fastest commuting machine but my thought is it gives me more conditioning so that I can have more fun on my mountain bike on the weekends. Sort of pay to play, pay my dues..............

My latest haul wasn't anywhere near your 500lb haul. Combination of hot dog and hamburger buns for an event this weekend. 216 count............Cardboard hauling-trek_buns.jpgCardboard hauling-trek_buns1.jpgCardboard hauling-trek_buns2.jpgCardboard hauling-trek_buns3.jpg

biking where I'm going
    Jun 2012
    I've figured out that not everyone needs to hear about the routine hauls I do with my Dummy. Fifty pounds here or there, the two bags of cat litter another day, the grocery loads with my wife...those are common enough among folks on here that I don't need to talk about them.

It's only the really stupid stuff that bears mention any more... ;-)
    Getting where I'm going--by bicycle!

1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeolounger View Post
    I've figured out that not everyone needs to hear about the routine hauls I do with my Dummy. Fifty pounds here or there, the two bags of cat litter another day, the grocery loads with my wife...those are common enough among folks on here that I don't need to talk about them.

That's an interesting statement. I guess it all depends where you are and your surroundings. Here in Hawaii where I live, cargo bike(s) are extremely rare and I get the look every time I go by with some kind of load. Heck, people often stop me and ask what the hell is that? I call it my SUV of bikes.............

Your loads sound like fun and great no matter how mundane they may be...........

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeolounger View Post

I don't think there is anything stupid about that at all. It's impressive, and like you said, it will only make you stronger!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    How much space do you need between brake mounts and handlebar for that setup to work? I like it, but I have a small bike.

Last edited by whitecrow4; 02-01-2015 at 09:59 PM.
    white