mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Burley Trailer Wheel Service

Hello all

EDIT: I think this is a Nomad not a Flatbed. It must be from the 90's because Burley doesn't even have the manual online.

So I finally found a cheap Burley flatbed trailer and I'm getting it ready for some hauling. While I have the tub of grease out....I was wondering if anyone has advice on these wheels.

They spin ok but not as well as I imagine the newer spoked trailer wheels with cartridge bearing spin. There is a washer and nut that holds the wheel on but if you tighten too much it tends to bind the axle.

I don't see any spring clips or any way to pull out the bushing and bearings. Maybe I should just bolt it on and go?

Thanks for any info.

Burley Trailer Wheel Service-image_1.jpgBurley Trailer Wheel Service-image_2.jpgBurley Trailer Wheel Service-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Update:

I did some research and it looks like I need 1/2" precision bearings to upgrade these babies. A hammer and screw driver popped out the bearings and new ones are on the way. My guess is that the binding is a by product of the lumpy bearings causing the cartridge to wedge against the nut and axle spacer.

New ones should do the trick. This really turned out to be easy and I'll add photos of the fix.

biking where I'm going
    Jun 2012
    I've seen bearings like the ones original to your wheels in many hardware stores. They are usually pretty inexpensive, and work for a good while. Yes, nicer bearings will roll better for longer. Whether enough of both to justify the price is a decision I cannot make for you.

Also: Smear some bearing grease on the axle just before you reassemble things, to improve the odds that the new bearings won't corrode to the axle over time.
    Getting where I'm going--by bicycle!

1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thank you sir. I will put some grease on there. That is a good suggestion.

I figured out that these were cheap lawn-mower bearings and found some better quality sealed cartridge bearings that will fit nicely.

Cost is $14/wheel vs. $5/wheel for the lawn-mower bearings. So, I figure the upgrade is worth it considering what a paid for the trailer and the cost of a new one. These original bearings are so rough that I imagine a few exposures to rain could wreck them pretty bad. Also, I learned an awful lot about roller bearings in the process. You have to measure carefully!

I will update with some photos and the exact specs of the bearings I used in the unlikley event someone else finds one of these older Burley trailers with the plastic wheels. i hope to be a cargo biker by next weekend.

Ginz