mtbr member
    May 2010

Building your own big dummy cargo seat...tips, tricks?

I'm sick of pulling a trailer behind my big dummy, and my 2.5yo daughter likes to ride on the bike, anyhow (presently, only with a mommy sitting behind her on the surfboard).

Not wanting to drop the coin on a peapod, I'm contemplating the DIY route. Any tips or tricks? What about just cutting down a standard large carseat/booster and mounting it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How 'bout mounting this?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My guess is that it isn't wide enough to straddle a dummy.

mtbr member
    Cut the legs off the above and you'll be good to go. Still want leg support? You can easily make some loops from tubular webbing to support the feet, like stirrups on a saddle.

I think the approach of scavenging a used bike seat designed for a rack and bolting it directly to the big dummy is probably one of the simplest and most cost effective methods. Just make sure to add straps to keep the V-racks tight and the snapdeck attached to the vrack. For a carseat or booster I guess it depends on what you can find. The carseats we are using (Marathon Boulevard) are outrageously large and heavy and I definitely would not want to put one on my dummy. Bike seats probably take weight and bulk into account with design, carseats less so.

Having built my own seats from materials purchased at Home Depot, I'll just say that it wasn't inexpensive and (as someone who otherwise does no woodwork) was very time intensive.