Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

brainstorm: fat cargo bike

*cross-posted to cargo and fat bike forums in order to get different perspectives. if that's not kosher, then please to be deleting the thread under cargo bikes. thanks!*

I read Devo's musings about crossing the best attributes of two of his favorite bikes, the Pugsley and the Big Dummy some time ago, but the idea really clicked for me when I ran across pictures of the Big Dumb Pug on flickr. I want one. I want a sexy beast of a longtail bike on fat tires. A bicycle somewhere in between monster truck and parade float, that has a bit of '57 Chevy (or perhaps it's '60 Cadillac?) running through its veins. One with frame-integrated rear racks like the Yubo Mundo/Kona Ute rather than a bolted on XtraCycle kit (though compatability with the XtraCycle accessories would be great.) While I'm at it I want a Rohloff IGH so that I can use this beast for a cross country tour as easily as riding it to work. I want a big flat wood-slatted CETMA style rack up front with twin lamps running off a generator hub. I want a Jones H-bars... ok, maybe I can settle for Titec... or maybe a dirt drop bar instead? I haven't nailed that part down yet. Big, wide stompin' platform pedals. A Brooks saddle with springs would fit the look perfectly, but this is a bike that would get left out in the rain at times... maybe Selle Anatomica?

I bounced this idea off of Devo and his response is of course the sane one: just get a Dummy, put DH rims and 2" wheels on it, ride the hell out of it and be happy when you can replace the entire drive train for less than 1/10 the cost of the Rohloff. I love Surly, I've been a fan of the Dummy since it was first announced, and he's right, but... I've got a motorcycle that I'm not riding much that could be sold to pay for an awful lot of bicycle. I've got an idea of what I really want stuck in my head. Why not go for it?

What I have in mind takes aesthetic and technical cues from the original Big Dummy, the Big Dumb Pug, the Chupacabra, the Retrotec/Inglis snowbikes, the Fatback and even a little bit of Devo's own Hunter. I love the blacked out look of the Big Dumb Pug (pre bamboo fenders,) but I'm tempted to do something more like the recent John Deer/Caterpillar themed bike ideas and really turn it into a parade float.

I know there are a number of you who have dropped a line to Banjo Cycles or expressed interest in the Chupacabra if they wind up producing a run of them so I'm not the only one thinking along these lines. What would your ideal fat/long bike look like?
    Last edited by broken_cynic; 06-09-2010 at 10:45 AM.

mtbr member extraordinair
    I think you definitely have something there!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My ideal fat 'n long bike would still be fairly narrow so I can get it out between the two cars in my garage, which means a front-loader design with a wide platform (while useful) wouldn't work for me. If you could do something with fat and light aluminum tubes (something the length and look of a Cannondale Tandem) with a long and low rear platform I'd go for it. I would also like it to have a XC mountain bike position as a bolt-upright position doesn't feel good to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Black Sheep has already made your ride. Look under dream products on his website.

master blaster
    not as fat as your talking but i have 2.5 hookworms on my rig and it is a killer ride. i could only imagine how a xtrapugcycle would ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    space49: I had seen the Black Sheep Bikes S-Cargo before and rediscovered it just after I posted this thread... thought about editing to include it in there. The S-Cargo is an awesome bike, definitely built to a high standard and great looking in its own way, but I actually prefer the look of the Big Dumb Pug.

veloreality: Looks like a great ride! On a bike that will be ridden a good deal and primarily on the street, Hookworms or Big Apples might be a better real world solution than an Endo/Larry combo or enormous cruiser tires.

vik
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What you are talking about is a fully custom frame...if you want it go for it...as long as you have the $$$ to spend. The Rohloff will pay for itself and you can hand it down to your kids! Having the ability to shift while stopped is very handy on a fully loaded cargo rig.

I find Endomorphs roll about as well as a MTB knobby on pavement - which is not bad, but not great...I wouldn't want to ride 100kms on asphalt with them. Offroad or on a bad dirt road the suspension effect of the big rubber makes them well worth the effort.
    safe riding,

Vik
    www.thelazyrando.com

Candlestick Maker
    Food for thought...here is my Yuba Mundo V3 with 2.7" WTB Timberwolves. The clearance is ample, but the chain buzzes the knobbies in the lowest cassette cog. 2.4 Mutano's fit with zero issues. An Endo can physically fit in the rear triangle, but there is next to no clearance.

You could theoretically throw a Maverick SC32 on the front end and easily run an Endo up there. The geometry would be tweaked a bit, but less than normal due to the longer wheelbase.

And...here is my Mundo in front of my brand new 4.4kW solar system. Just because I want an excuse to post it.

Oh yeah, cargo usage for the Mundo so far has been limited to carrying 2 munchkins back and forth to the bus stop. Trail behavior has been predictable and reasonable.
    baker

PRETENDURO
    Wow, looks pretty righteous with those FAT knobbies!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    couple of us over on the fatbikes forum talking about modifying Xtra cycles HD (29er friendly) unit - if indeed it goes into production - to except "fat" gear. Done right, just about any hard tail 29er frame would do (have to change to a fat fork as well) and could be changed back to a reg. 29er if need be. May sound drastic to cut up a brand new Xtracycle, but could be cheaper and simpler than a complete custom build.

Devo
    Quote Originally Posted by broken_cynic
    *cross-posted to cargo and fat bike forums in order to get different perspectives. if that's not kosher, then please to be deleting the thread under cargo bikes. thanks!*

I read Devo's musings about crossing the best attributes of two of his favorite bikes, the Pugsley and the Big Dummy some time ago, but the idea really clicked for me when I ran across pictures of the Big Dumb Pug on flickr. I want one. I want a sexy beast of a longtail bike on fat tires. A bicycle somewhere in between monster truck and parade float, that has a bit of '57 Chevy (or perhaps it's '60 Cadillac?) running through its veins. One with frame-integrated rear racks like the Yubo Mundo/Kona Ute rather than a bolted on XtraCycle kit (though compatability with the XtraCycle accessories would be great.) While I'm at it I want a Rohloff IGH so that I can use this beast for a cross country tour as easily as riding it to work. I want a big flat wood-slatted CETMA style rack up front with twin lamps running off a generator hub. I want a Jones H-bars... ok, maybe I can settle for Titec... or maybe a dirt drop bar instead? I haven't nailed that part down yet. Big, wide stompin' platform pedals. A Brooks saddle with springs would fit the look perfectly, but this is a bike that would get left out in the rain at times... maybe Selle Anatomica?

I bounced this idea off of Devo and his response is of course the sane one: just get a Dummy, put DH rims and 2" wheels on it, ride the hell out of it and be happy when you can replace the entire drive train for less than 1/10 the cost of the Rohloff. I love Surly, I've been a fan of the Dummy since it was first announced, and he's right, but... I've got a motorcycle that I'm not riding much that could be sold to pay for an awful lot of bicycle. I've got an idea of what I really want stuck in my head. Why not go for it?

What I have in mind takes aesthetic and technical cues from the original Big Dummy, the Big Dumb Pug, the Chupacabra, the Retrotec/Inglis snowbikes, the Fatback and even a little bit of Devo's own Hunter. I love the blacked out look of the Big Dumb Pug (pre bamboo fenders,) but I'm tempted to do something more like the recent John Deer/Caterpillar themed bike ideas and really turn it into a parade float.

I know there are a number of you who have dropped a line to Banjo Cycles or expressed interest in the Chupacabra if they wind up producing a run of them so I'm not the only one thinking along these lines. What would your ideal fat/long bike look like?
    you ought to shoot Rick Hunter a line and see what his response is.
    I know he's built a Long Tail cargo bike

one of the things that kills me about the Kona Ute is that it can do wheelies!

at the moment, after my last little jaunt down the coast
    and with the last leg done in as light of a packing solution as I could muster
    on a dummy (whats the point right?)
    with frame bags...
    its really amazing how much storage space The Big Dummy offers up...

at the moment, I'm thinking that if I had the cash to drop on a custom Cargo/Long Tail/long distance multi terrain tourer/in cafe board tracker style...
    I would be calling Rick Hunter

stick to a drive train plan
    stick to an aesthetic, i.e. Stripped down big dummy/dragster look...
    minus all the extra junk that goes on around the rear wheel and after the axle
    shoot for a chainstay length that would let you wheelie up a couple of stairs...

in so many ways...
    as much as I hate to say it... that XtraCycle stuff isn't that great.
    that is compared to the BikePacking method
    then of course if you are really going to be hauling oversized loads, perhaps an At Work Trailer really would be easier to load and unload.
    don't get me wrong... the XtraCycle stuff is great for commuting, groceries, etc...
    but if you are really going to be out there doing some off road touring, the frame bag solution is much better.

the Dummy simply has so much freaking space that you fall into this trap of carrying way to much.
    as it is, if it were fitted with all frame bags, it would be a huge amount of.... FOOD of course.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Devo
    Quote Originally Posted by ward
    couple of us over on the fatbikes forum talking about modifying Xtra cycles HD (29er friendly) unit - if indeed it goes into production - to except "fat" gear. Done right, just about any hard tail 29er frame would do (have to change to a fat fork as well) and could be changed back to a reg. 29er if need be. May sound drastic to cut up a brand new Xtracycle, but could be cheaper and simpler than a complete custom build.
    I think this is a great idea!
    perfect platform to prototype
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Surly might do it... someone should ask them if they would offer a "fat" Big Dummy to the market.

If there was the demand there, they'd build it!

Devo
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanF
    Surly might do it... someone should ask them if they would offer a "fat" Big Dummy to the market.

If there was the demand there, they'd build it!
    When Surly was doing their pre-production runs of Dummies, I had asked them to make it doable with Endos... if i recall the response(s) were something along the lines of "its not that big and not that fat"

in my personal opinion the Big Dummy should have been developed to accommodate Endos right from the beginning.

I've been on my BD for almost 3 years now, and a common response is, "Nice XtraCycle".

if it were shod in Endos, there'd be no mistaking that it was a Surly Product, especially in light of what they have done for the entire Fat Bike movement. which is pretty much the same thing that they've done for Cargo Bikes, with the BD.

it seemed to me to be a no brainer
    Big Fat Dummy
    www.AsanaCycles.com

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo
    When Surly was doing their pre-production runs of Dummies, I had asked them to make it doable with Endos... if i recall the response(s) were something along the lines of "its not that big and not that fat"

in my personal opinion the Big Dummy should have been developed to accommodate Endos right from the beginning.

I've been on my BD for almost 3 years now, and a common response is, "Nice XtraCycle".

if it were shod in Endos, there'd be no mistaking that it was a Surly Product, especially in light of what they have done for the entire Fat Bike movement. which is pretty much the same thing that they've done for Cargo Bikes, with the BD.

it seemed to me to be a no brainer
    Big Fat Dummy
    Clearly stated. And to the point. Back when I was first considering buying my Big Dummy, I was actually sort of shocked to find out that I could not get one with the 3.7 - 3.8" Endos or Larrys. Those teeny tiny Schwalbe Big Apple tires really leave a lot to be desired. Now, however, shod with the 26"x2.5" Hookworms, the bike has transformed into an amazing off-road-capable cargo machine—I cannot imagine how much better it is going to be once my 26"x2.5" Large Marge rims are done being built…
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think you can run 24" LM rims with the Big Dummy and 3.45" Hoggy G's now that I think about it.

No problem putting fat tires on it. If it can be done on the 1X1, it can surely be done on the Big Dummy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo

Big Fat Dummy

Those are the same people who'd look at your Porsche and say "Nice Beetle."

Down South Yooper

It's been done

I've posted links to this bike before, they're elsewhere on MTBR. It was at the NAHBS this past february too. Sweet implementation this frame, nice curves, well done.

Link to the flikr page here, some construction pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banjocycles/page6/

Search around for Banjo Cycles for more pictures, should be plenty out there. Haven't seen this bike in person yet, but everytime I'm out I keep my eyes peeled.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

Devo
    no doubt, that Banjo Cycles was on the forefront of this movement.

in the likes of Surly's 1x1 = 11 Anniversary bike, shod in 24x3.45" tyres
    it was as if a slight ricochet in aim has missed an obvious potential market in cargo bikes.

on another note: re: big tyres and cargo

while I've used its Dumbness to a wide degree
    I had spent a fair amount of time wearing out tires, brake pads, and rims...
    which immediately got me to thinking and searching out the likes of metallic pads, or 3xLife Ceramic pads, and of course DH rims and bigger tires
    all in an effort to dissipate the load into the wheels.

after 2 sets of wheels and I have no idea how many different sets of tires
    I've pretty much settled on WTB LaserDisc DH rims and Serfas Drifters in 2.0"

my next try is going to be WTB Mutano Raptors in 2.4" setup tubeless.

I like the idea of using LM's but for me, my reality is that DH rims offer the such a wide variety of tires, that I'm not too sure if I'd be hooked on the worms.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    I have a hookworm on the back of my Xtracycle but like the idea of going 24x3 in the back, I would just have to weld on some new brake mounts.

It sounds like the Hoggy G's really aren't good tires considering how many blew up. I would probably go with something like a Felt Berm master instead as I do like to get off the beeten path.

Might just turn into the perfect bike for getting a deer out of the bush.

mtbr member

The yuba can be a fat bike!

The v4 frame has 4 inches of clearance in the rear triangle, so all it needs is a pug fork. When I get the funds I'm going to do it. There is something on this in the fat bikes forum: Fat tire cargo bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i'm assuming this uses a square taper BB. is it offset or are there extra wide BB available out there? sizes please?

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by inoy View Post
    i'm assuming this uses a square taper BB. is it offset or are there extra wide BB available out there? sizes please?
    I just measured the other day, and the bottom bracket shell on the Surly Big Dummy is of the 68mm variety, so plenty of options to choose from.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 07-16-2012 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    A fat dummy would be great

Longleaf Bicycles
    Aug 2010
    I just built a Big Dummy and am going to build a second wheelset for the dirt. The bike hauls a three and five year old so I'm looking for as much volume as possible and more grip. I've ordered the parts to build 24" wheels with Duro Razorback 3.0 tires. Anyone else tried this?
    Longleaf Bicycles: Handbuilt wheels. Dynohub lighting systems. Custom assembled bicycles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast