mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Borrowing a friends Dummy. Looking for less frame flex.

I've been using my buddy's dummy for a couple days now. I've been having a blast running errands with it. So far I took two friends to the local watering hole. I carried a weed whacker. I picked up about 40 lbs in cat litter and food from the grocery store.

However, I'm not a fan of the flex. With the 40 lb load, there is some noticeable flex going on. With a 120 lb passenger it's squirrelly, but manageable.

I'm in the market for a cargo bike and so far this is the only one I've test ridden. The Yuba Mundo is appealing with the side loaders being integral to the frame. Are these less flexy? Any suggestions for sturdier cargo bikes? The loads I've carried are typical of what I plan to do with the bike on a regular basis (except for the two passenger ride; that was just for fun )

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    No experience here (just lots of drooling...errr...research), but the mundo is know for it's stiffness, even with a heavy load. It is also rated for a much higher capacity, which is consistent with its strength.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Admittedly I have no seat time on the BD, but I have ridden a Yuba Mundo and just installed a FreeRadical on my Long Haul Trucker a couple of weeks ago. What about the flex do you find bothersome? Is it just annoying or is it unsafe?

If I bother I can notice the flex in the FR but it doesn't bother me at all (so far my biggest load is probably around 50lbs). In all respects I thought the BD was supposed to alleviate all of those flex problems being an integrated frame. Are you new to steel frames in general?

Yuba Mundo seat time was un-loaded. It was not a remarkable bike from what I remember, but it also didn't fit me well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    "What about the flex do you find bothersome? Is it just annoying or is it unsafe?"

It's probably just annoying. The wet noodle/swaying feeling can be a little harrowing when coming up on a stop sign at the bottom of a hill.

"Are you new to steel frames in general?"

No, I've owned a few steel-framed bikes so I'm familiar with their springiness relative to aluminum and CF bikes.

I think the BD would reduce flex compared to a freeradical-modded bike, however, the rack design is carried over to the BD. That may be a source of flex.

For around town trips, it is completely tolerable. I'm no prude to suffering, but I may have set some unrealistic expectations. I went on a 9 day bike tour last fall and the wet-noodle feeling of my touring bike was my only pet peeve. I think I saw some potential in the BD as a sway-free touring rig as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I had a 10-minute demo of the Mundo about 2 years ago. Out of all the things I remember sponginess was not one of them. It may be worth finding one to try out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Was your 40lbs on one side or balanced between both? If it was balanced I am surprised that you could tell. That being said I do think the BD flexes a bit under load but I usually only have problems when I have a very unbalanced load or I do start to have some wagging on bumps when I have 80lbs of dog food between both sides. That is about the point that the bike + cargo outweighs me though.

But check out the Mundo, the one I tried was very stiff with a big load but didnt fit me very well. The Xtracycle Edgerunner may be another option although I have not heard much on them and havent tried one either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Scubaklook: The weight was probably distributed around a 60/40 ratio. The giant box of kitty litter was being offset by canned food and a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit ulock.

I should be able to get my hands on a Yuba Mundo for a test. The Yuba Boda also looks promising. It's shorter wheelbase could tighten things up a bit and offset some of the weight of the longer Mundo.

For those that the Mundo fit poorly, how tall are you? I'm 6'0''

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm 6'1" and have no idea what size frame I was on, but it was too small.

mtbr member
    I am 6'3", I felt that the Mundo fit me well. The rack is very beefy, I think it may be the bike you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am 5'6" and to be fair to the Mundo it wasnt really set up for me. A big part of why I went with the BD is that it had sizes. You may want to try the Boda first. I didnt like the shorter wheelbase and thought it felt top heavy. But I also weighed less than my cargo so if you are heavier you may have an easier time.

Human Test Subject
    Was the flex in the rails? Whatchamacollars can help with that.

I've never noticed any squirrlyness with my Dummy and I've loaded it with weights and ridden hills for training.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I regularly ride my BD with 50lbs or more. You can feel the frame flex slightly, but its never been a problem, and its actually something I apreciate, since it makes the ride less harsh. That's one of the nice things about a steel frame, to me.

If that isn't something you like, then consider one of the aluminum framed, long tail bikes. Trek has the Transport, Kona has the Ute. I've never ridden either, but I would guess they are a bit stiffer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My big dummy feels like a wagging tail behind a dog when I have 85lbs of kid on the back. This is because their weight is so high up. I've had 100lbs+ mounted lower down on the wide loaders and not noticed the same effect. I can't stand to pedal because the frame twists and rocks too much with the kids weight sitting up high. Great bike, but this is one of the inherent limitations versus a cargo bike with a lower centre of gravity load like a bakfiets box, or the Madsen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Like Volsung said, it's the rails. Those collars help, but still noticeable. Yuba Mundo is a great option, so you should go for it. Cheaper than the Surly as well. I do think Bakfiets (like Cetma and Metrofiet) have the ultimate cargo carrying capacity. Not as nimble (or as fun, in my opinion) as the BD or Yuba, though.

Two Headed Boy
    I bought a Design Logic "Da-Bomb" cargo bike on eBay a bit over a year ago, and well love it! The reason I bought it was that it is a much stiffer design. He had marketed it as ready to throw a gas engine kit on it, but all that affected on the frame was two tabs to mount the engine to....

I have it setup with a 29er fork and a 26 up back and plan on sticking a 3inch surly up back this winter and building up a fatty for the front. But anyhow love the way it rides loaded no flex and very controllable. Have had 45 IBS on the sides and an adult passenger on it before with no problem!

So anyhow if your not a fan of the Long tail flex, like me look one of them up!
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Yuba is the stiffest.
    Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.