mtbr member

Bike Cargo Trailer

Bike Cargo Trailer
    By Gawain Tomlinson
    San Diego, CA

I had problems uploading the full PDF article with pictures and instructions to the forum due to file size. If you want the full article send me an email at admin@ideal-rc.com. I will send you the file. It is about 1.2MB.

Disclaimer: If you find this article useful, feel free to use it at your own risk.

For years I have used a kiddy trailer for grocery shopping. During the cooler months of the year, I do all of the grocery shopping on my bike. During the summer time I donít ride the bike much, because I canít tolerate the heat. My rule of thumb is that I try not to start the car more than once a week from fall thru spring.

The trailer originally belonged to my great nephew, but when he was about 6 years old he refused to go anywhere near it, saying, ďThatís little kid stuff.Ē Over the years the kiddy trailer started showing its age, with bleached and tattered fabric.

Then a few months ago the trailer took a hard hit. I clipped an obstruction in the road with one wheel of the trailer. Since it was lightly loaded at the time, the bounce sent the trailer, into the air, and upside down over my rear wheel. I recovered without mishap, but the top of the trailer was pretty trashed, and the spring in the hitch coupling was hyper-extended.

I decided it was time for a trailer makeover. I hit on the idea of using a plastic site box. A site box is used by contractors to store their tools on construction sites. I found a Husky site box at Home Depot for about $60. It is light-weight, durable, has a built in lock, and has latches that accept padlocks.

Bike Cargo Trailer-dsc03350.jpg
    I disassembled the top of the kiddy trailer until it was down to a flat square-tube platform. The site box was attached to the frame using ľĒ X 20 stainless U-bolts from Home Depot.

The wheels and tongue on the trailer are detachable. The site box has wheels and an extendable handle. That makes it useful for traveling on a bus or train. I figure it is big enough to go bike camping, and carry two peopleís gear.

Lighting
    The next thing that I had to consider was lighting. My wife never stops complaining that Iím not well enough lighted at night. So sorry, but Iím lit up like a church. My bike has a Nebo-Redline headlight, a taillight, and amber wheel lights. I also have a mini-tail light on my helmet, and an old flying-saucer tail light on my backpack.

Anyway I figured I would make the trailer well enough lighted that she canít complain. Ha ! ! !

Bike Cargo Trailer-dsc03457.jpg

The trailer has headlights, taillights, a whip-mounted warning flasher, an electronic controller, and an 8AH battery box.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Looks great. Good idea using that site box.