mtbr member

Big Dummy update?

I've been seeing more and more Big Dummy's for sale lately. Is there a reason for this? Possibly a new model coming out? I really want one but would hate to buy one if something better is just around the corner.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Haven't heard about any new designs...I suspect it is a wave of people who ran out to buy completes when they first came out, and then decided that they really weren't BD people. There were some changes between last year and this year's complete.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    where are you seeing them for sale?
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

mtbr member
    There have been a few on eBay recently.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thanks!
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes, people figured out that they suck and there has been a rush to sell them. Everyone go ahead and post yours for sale quickly while they still hold some value, I'd like a second for my wife.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Something better is always around the corner...that's why you keep peddling.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't know how old the models you're seeing for sale are. But the 2011 was substantially "improved" (depending on your opinions) from all previous years. Most notably the "swooshy" top tube is now straight (alledgedly cheaper to manufacturer - I see it as easier to fit frame bags). There's also now a small bracing tube between the top tube and the seat tube for a little more strength.

Also more braze-ons for more attachment points. At least six more around the cargo area on the back for better anchoring of awkward cargo (XtraCycle prompted a new anchoring system for their freeloader bags). A couple more on the fork, a couple more on the seat stays. You really can mount just about any bicycle accessory to this bike...

I actually waited for the 2011 to become available as I prefer the aesthetics of this model; however, lots of people miss the no-longer-available green paint job from previous years and liked the swooshy top tube.

- Ben