mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Big Dummy shifting issue

Sooo, I have a Big Dummy, 2012. It was a custom build- the crank is an SLX triple, and the rest is SRAM X-9 bits, with gripshift. Long cage derailleur.

From the get-go, I haven't been able to use 8th and 9th gears, it would shift into them but skip and bounce around. This is on the middle and big ring, unsure of the small ring cuz I don't use those gears in the small ring.

My LBS, which is a fantastic shop, tried adjusting the limit, they took the screw out all the way and still couldn't get it to stay in 9th gear. No signs of anything being bent. They said the chainline appears to be fine.

Anyone have any insight? I probably should have posted this in the drivetrain forum but I figured it might be longtail specific.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Without the cable, is it possible to get the derailleur to shift to the last gear? If so, then there's probably resistance or drag in the cable or shifter not allowing the cable movement? In "old" gripshift set ups, I know there used to be a need for and upgraded spring in the derailleur with more tension.

Is there anything impeding the movement of the derailleur or cable? On my Trek I noticed that the pannier could sometime impede the movement of the derailleur.

Good luck with that.